Distortion Reccomendations?

• Thread starter 1000MilesOfFire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket. And I'm thinking it's time to update my distortion pedal.
I currently use a Metal Zone. I play through a Marshal JCM 800. I'm looking for a vicious, heavy death metal sound.
Something with ridiculously high gain since my amp is clean. I was thinking about the Krank Distortous Maximums.. or the Triple Wreck.
What are your thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Amptweaker TightMetal.

MstrH

Arrogantly Average
Reaction score
Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion
Delta Labs Metal Distortion (yes, really)
OR, get your Metal Zone modded!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
EMG's + Tubescreamer + cranked JCM800 = heavy! What's the guitar being used?

I have a 50W JCM800 from the 80's right now, and with my LTD MH1000 and no boost, just the pre up and the amp on 3... it's dirty!

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
- Digitech Hardwire Valve Distortion
- EHX Metal Muff (You have to do some weird settings, I had bass on 3, mids on max, treble way up, but it sounded incredible, it sounds NOTHING like in any of the YouTube videos, so try one out first :) )
- Triple Wreck

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Digitech Hardwire Metal Distortion
Delta Labs Metal Distortion (yes, really)
OR, get your Metal Zone modded!

I just got that delta labs metal pedal for the hell of it. Its good,sounds pretty amp like. Still, my amp distortion is better. Its nice know I can use my pedal board direct if I had to now though. No need for backup amp

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
With that amp I wouldn't bother with a distortion pedal IMHO
just boost the shit out of it with a Rat or a Tube Screamer and your golden.

metalguy_hk

Reaction score
That Amptweaker looks really good
Can you still feedback with it though? I usually don't use any noise gate at all. And this pedal has one that's always on.

u can turn on and off for the noise gate. If you're running a power supply, you can either use 9v or 18v, the different as I know is if you're playing at home with limited volume, then u can plug as 9v, if you use it on the stage, go for 18v. I have couple of distortion pedals like tight metal, DD11, M116, Krank distortion for my collection, right now I am using tight metal and dd11 on my board. Honestly tight metal is my top choice for all distortion pedals that I have got. Some people will recommend metal muff, but honestly I don't think it sounds good. Hope it helps.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Or put two TS7's out front and stand waaaay back :lol:

Angus Clark

Reaction score
You could send your Metal Zone to be modded by Keeley and put it in front of a hi-gain sound on your JCM - Pure death metal tone right there. I don't go for such a gainy sound myself and would boost with a tubescreamer, but for your purposes, I think a modded metal zone could be the way to go.

')