Ditching the 8th string??

• Thread starter Riffmagus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riffmagus

Reaction score
After a good three weeks away from the guitar - I was itching to get back to my Agile.

But, it also make me realise that for my style I find it very hard to incorporate any low F# stuff. It seems more of a barrier.

To prove my point, I took the low F# off - tuned the other 7 strings down 1 step ( 1 1/2 seemed too mushy for the cepheus) and then just rocked out playing guitar for 5 hours. Loved it.

So. What are my other tuning options? I may get a blank nut and decide to play it as a seven with the 'new' E tuned to an open tone? Would like to be able to do more melody on the higher strings.

I really like the cepheus pu's and am in no rush to change them. The only GAS I have right now is for the Eleven Rack - for stoner and doom it certainly has the sounds.

So, besides the Scale The Summit / octave plus for a 7+1 what else can I do? My current Agile nut buzzes even with the foam behind it - so if this can be adjusted I can just get back to playing guitar - which is what I want to do!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KenAncients

Reaction score
I use AEADGBEA and i love it. Its as if i was playing a seven string in drop tuning while also having a high A string to do lead with. I wouldnt put my 8 in F sharp.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I use AEADGBEA and i love it. Its as if i was playing a seven string in drop tuning while also having a high A string to do lead with. I wouldnt put my 8 in F sharp.
What's your scale length and what string are you using for high A. O4P?

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
An extra high E is a fantastic idea for being able to do unison stuff really easily and also being able to get really quick and easy dissonant intervals between the two E srings.
Wes Borland used this concept for Limb Bizkit, albeit on 7 string tuned to C# standard, he just had two high C# strings

KenAncients

Reaction score
My 8 string is the Rg2228 (27in) and I use a .08/.09 on the high A. I will let you know that on a 28 inch scale, I had alot of issues trying to get the high A with a .09 string. Since I don't use the low F sharp or anything close, it would of been smarter for me to order a smaller scale length eight string. (custom shop maybe?)

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
tune it to
B-E-A-D-G-B-E-A

:agreed:

When and/or if I get an 8 that will probably be my tuning. :yesway:

I think the low B is as far down as I need to go for what I need to do. But I think a high A could be cool for chording and such.

Werwolf999

Reaction score
I really never use the B and F strings on my 8. Instead I use it as a 6 string baritone. The 28.6" scale sounds great in A standard. Tension is kind of loose, but I like it like that, as it imparts are a great "doom" feel.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I really never use the B and F strings on my 8. Instead I use it as a 6 string baritone. The 28.6" scale sounds great in A standard. Tension is kind of loose, but I like it like that, as it imparts are a great "doom" feel.

Why would you use an 8 as a 6 string baritone as opposed to just buying a 6 string baritone? :scratch:

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
My 8 string is the Rg2228 (27in) and I use a .08/.09 on the high A. I will let you know that on a 28 inch scale, I had alot of issues trying to get the high A with a .09 string. Since I don't use the low F sharp or anything close, it would of been smarter for me to order a smaller scale length eight string. (custom shop maybe?)

This is relevant to my interests. I desire to see video of a stock 0.008 or 0.009 string at 27" tuned to A4. Do you bend with it at all, and how do you tune the string up to that pitch, a special process I assume?

Werwolf999

Reaction score
Why would you use an 8 as a 6 string baritone as opposed to just buying a 6 string baritone? :scratch:

I didn't intentionally set out to do that. I thought I'd be using the the F# string a lot more, but I just never got into it. One day I was messing around with different tunings and tried tuning the E-E strings to A standard. To my surprise, I found that I liked that tone much more than using the F#, so I stuck with that.

I'm thinking of picking up one of Agile's baritone LPs soon.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I didn't intentionally set out to do that. I thought I'd be using the the F# string a lot more, but I just never got into it. One day I was messing around with different tunings and tried tuning the E-E strings to A standard. To my surprise, I found that I liked that tone much more than using the F#, so I stuck with that.

I'm thinking of picking up one of Agile's baritone LPs soon.

Ahh fair enough. I kinda wish one of my friends had an 8 so I can at least play one. The Guitar Center nearest me has 8 string basses but it's asking a lot to even hope to see a seven string guitar (good thing I already know I like em, huh?) in there much less an 8. :(

Werwolf999

Reaction score
Ahh fair enough. I kinda wish one of my friends had an 8 so I can at least play one. The Guitar Center nearest me has 8 string basses but it's asking a lot to even hope to see a seven string guitar (good thing I already know I like em, huh?) in there much less an 8. :(

If you like 7s, then you'll probably like the 8s just as much.

8s seem to lend themselves more to the djenty stuff, so, if that's what you're playing, then you might as well snag an Agile, as you aren't going to find a better deal on a new 8 anytime soon.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Instead of tuning down a whole step tune UP a whole step.

This gets you Ab standard (which would have been like tuning down 1 1/2 steps on a 7) with a high F#.

I LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE C# standard so when I get an 8 I wanted to keep it but there was no way in hell I was tuning the 2 low strings down that far so I intend to tune up a whole step so I basically get a low Ab and a high F# around my C# standard.

Glorious!

')