DIY - 7 string explorer build

Moe110

Reaction score
Hey guys

I've been wanting to purchase a 7 string explorer for a long time now and any that come up (for sale) either don't tickle my fancy or are too far away for the owner to post. So I've come to the conclusion that I will just "attempt" to build/piece one together myself. And i say attempt very loosely as this would be my first. Building one from scratch is purely out the question for me I'm not a luthier and I'm not gonna try (don't have the room, tools or craftsmanship for it).

My basic specs are:
7 string
Explorer shape
Single bridge pickup routing
1 volume knob
bolt on neck
reverse headstock

My questions to you guys are the following.
Where can i purchase a good wood quality explorer shape?
Will the company have the routings/pots drilled and routed?
Where can i buy a 7 string baritone (27") neck with reverse headstock? (maple neck, ebony fretboard)

I think thats about it guys. I hope you can help me out or at least set me on the right path! :shred::hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
It could be tricky to have a luthier build all of those pieces. Often, with that level of custom work, they'd rather sell the whole guitar as a finished build (since is a lot of trouble to build one-off custom stuff and they can get a lot more money for a finished build rather than parts).

But, if you were willing to piece it together as a mix of custom stuff and existing parts, it could be easier. For example, you could get an Agile neck with an ebony board, reverse head, and 27" scale, and a luthier could be more easily convinced to build just the body for you.

I've been quoted around $300 for a custom body, but I got the sense that they really didn't want to do it (and that it ultimately would have cost a lot more once we got to talking specifics). They can route it for whatever you want, but you'll likely need to supply them with the parts you plan to use. That way, they can be sure it'll all fit and line up correctly.

Moe110

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the Agile neck Cardinal. I wouldnt have thought to head down that road. I am in talks with a local builder in Brisbane about building the neck (bolt on) and the body as I still wish to complete the build myself :)

Keep em coming with ideas guys :)

')