Djent/Deathcore Dominance as a threat to other genres?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sikthness

Reaction score
Ask fifty people who aren't a part of this form and who you haven't met at a show what djent is. You'll see how "dominant" the fad really is when forty-nine of them ask you what the fuck you're talking about.

I asked a 50 year old man I work with who is a drummer in a Springsteen cover band if he had heard of djent - and guess what...he had. To be fair, he technically responded with "yeah, the other day I got a huge djent on the passenger side of my truck".

The Somberlain

Hollow Man
Reaction score
My metal-playing friends are into sludge, crust, black, and grind for the most part. I suppose I surround myself with like-minded people...

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
While I dont want to slam djent or math metal or any sub genre for that matter I have to agree that the music seems to lack a soul. And I dont even like to use that word. It seems the subject matter is much like the song construction. Where the depth of the lyrics are nothing more than a facade. A mask to cover the fact that there is no real meaning at all. Almost like when you have a friend that you know is dumber than shit only they insist on throwing out $10 words every few seconds to appear that they have a higher intelligence than they really do. But I find this to be the case with the most recent bands on the scene. I still feel misha and Tosin are amazing players and great artists. But I think they need to find something more sustainable. As I dont see djent being around forever.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Worrying about genres and hype is pointless. Just go with what feels good and disregard everything else.

The excess will burn off of the whole djent scene eventually.

zeaoth

Reaction score
A lot of people seem to forget, it's just music bro. If you don't like it, then don't listen to it.

Seems like there are a lot of elitist douche bags out there. Just ignore them, if you like the old stuff, you like the old stuff. If you like the new stuff, you like the new stuff. Simple as that.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
Where the depth of the lyrics are nothing more than a facade. A mask to cover the fact that there is no real meaning at all. Almost like when you have a friend that you know is dumber than shit only they insist on throwing out $10 words every few seconds to appear that they have a higher intelligence than they really do..

I like this so much its not even funny :yesway:

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
Yo I wouldn't even say those genres have dominated the whole music scene, just been big in the 7 string metal scene

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
On this board, these days you're probably more likely to get noticed if you have absolutely nothing to do with the "Double Ds".

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
My metal-playing friends are into sludge, crust, black, and grind for the most part. I suppose I surround myself with like-minded people...

Add a whole bunch of scuzzy-sounding OSDM and you have my friends right there.

pentecost

Reaction score
Djent is a style that has the least creativity to go on. A threat? Pfft
It's saturated like post-hardcore was/is for precisely this reason. While there are great musicians lumped into the djent genre for their rhythm tracks, any asshole with a downtuned guitar and a week's practice can reproduce the hukd on fonix rhythm-only version and think they're Bulb Jr. It's about people getting to participate and feel relevant. You can write great music on anything, even easier to write drivel... Especially if you're only using the first 5 frets. We switched to 7's, but only to regain intonation and the high E. Time spent worrying about genre hype is time wasted, and might choke your writing process with self-imposed limits. Write something awesome, and play the shit out of it.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
I think the fact that my suggestion to go "fuck it" and play Crust got so many likes, is a clear indicator that Crust D-beat is The Next Big Thing.

I for one applaud this. Crust is EXTREMELY formulaic, but it's a formula that works :lol:

Reaction score
Do your own thing man. You can do your own thing and appeal to the kids that like trends. They aren't mutually exclusive.

feilong29

Reaction score
I honestly think that Djent IS the new metal, but something else will outdo it and become the new thing. It might seem like pointless rhythmic changes, but, you have to know your stuff to make it all fit and sound right. I don't see it going away over being overshadowed by anything anytime soon. Would Animals As Leaders be considered Djent? If not, that would be the next best/closet thing to revolutionizing metal.

kerska

That guy...
Reaction score
The way I see it is metal is going to be a constantly evolving genre.

Djent is an evolution. It's all of a sudden become this craze where everyone is starting to incorporate it into what they're doing, even though a couple of bands have been doing it for a very long time. It'll pass, as does everything else when it comes to metal. It seems like every 10 years or so metal goes through a whole new change. Think about it...the 90's seen Nu-Metal bands...The 00's seen breakdown bands...and I guess this decade will be the djent bands. I know those are very broad generalizations on things as there are hundreds of sub genres of metal, but it's not too far off.

So...what's next?

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
While we're on the subject Meshuggah was doing this better than anyone else today 17 goddamn years ago.

Djent bands need to channel the NONE EP more IMO.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
^ Or just go to the source. 1986.

Going back to OP, I wouldn't worry about what's getting big. I don't mind people drawing influences from djent/deathcore whatever, but as long as you're honest with your music, you'll be fine.

')