Djent/Deathcore Dominance as a threat to other genres?

AntoAchilles

youjizz.com Regular
Reaction score
So. I've been messing around for a few months with a friend (on guitar, you filthy minded buggers), we've got a solid umm, 6? 7? maybe 8 songs in the mix which need fine tuning and recording. This is when we get round to finding a ruddy drummer/get the recording equipment and all other necessary evils.

However, the other day I started considering if there's room in the modern metal scene for a band which does NOT claim to be either Djent or Deathcore or "Mathcore" or whatever the cool people listen to these days. My "band" is some form of inconsistent instrumental prog metal with synth/acoustic elements (largely due to the other member).

Don't get me wrong, I blooming love AAL/Periphery/TesseracT etc, and I'm partial to a fair few "Deathcore" bands, but I just can't seem to write like that. Despite my heavy taste in music I always end up writing fairly light proggy material.

This is my first ever thread on any forum ever in my life, so go easy on me pl0x. :ugh: And yes, I am aware that there's 2003484 other metal genres, but in my opinion modern prog seems to have taken a Djenty turn. Let the trolling begin.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
No threat at all to us satanic pagen athiest blackened death metalers. No one likes us anyways. lol

AntoAchilles

youjizz.com Regular
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm stuck in the middle. Oh how I miss the days of melodeath.

If anything, our material is progressive melodic death metal. Genres are a burden.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. If you're good enough, you'll be fine. Contrary to popular belief, most people in the world don't listen to trendy subgenres.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
No need for trolling here.There's no real conversation when there's trolling.

There's always room for good,sincere bands.Copycats will always be copycats,and they get the fans they deserve since waaay older genres.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Threat? No....not to any already established genre.

Gather more immediate (and perhaps undeserved) publicity? A lot of genre-labelling establishes an elitist cachet that is attractive in it's own right...totally understandable (if risible) that some will seek to cash in - much the same as some play 7 or 8 string guitars in order to exploit, and gain immediate access to, already established social groups.

If it stinks, it will sink......but good music defies genre...I always feel that the best label in that case is simply good music.

Don't worry :)

AntoAchilles

youjizz.com Regular
Reaction score
Threat? No....not to any already established genre.

Gather more immediate (and perhaps undeserved) publicity? A lot of genre-labelling establishes an elitist cachet that is attractive in it's own right...totally understandable (if risible) that some will seek to cash in - much the same as some play 7 or 8 string guitars in order to exploit, and gain immediate access to, already established social groups.

If it stinks, it will sink......but good music defies genre...I always feel that the best label in that case is simply good music.

Don't worry :)

True. I actually avoided an 8 string for this very reason. I prefer the idea of being liked amongst a wider spectrum than a short-lived niche. Cheers for the advice everyone, I had began to forget that there are a few more open minded people in the world than I had previously given credit to.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Don't worry about perceptions of your music Chap! If you want to use a 7 or an 8 then do so....just be aware there are some who will immediately dismiss your compositions simply upon viewing an 8-string.

The rest of us (and honestly, the majority of the board) will simply listen and enjoy :)

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
I think it's all about your influences. If you are really young and djent and deathcore bands are your main influences, you will probably sound like them.

Or, if you want to hop on the wave, it's pretty easy to make your music sound like these bands, hell, even Attack Attack djents now.

Even though my band uses 7s and 8s, I don't think our music resembles djent because we write music according to the bands that influenced us growing up. Meshuggah has been my favorite band since roughly 98, and we have some riffs that are Meshuggah-like, but it seems that they hardly ever come out djenty, they tend to sound more like early meshuggah with all of our other influences combined (we are prog dorks and have more keys than the average "extreme metal" band.)

For example, we are recording a new song now that features a long outro of a meshuggah-type riff that goes into a fadeout, kinda like Cyanide Christ does, but for us it came naturally to throw a keyboard and guitar melody that cresendos over that riff that sounds more like, say, the outro to Space Dye Vest in vibe, and it wasn't even a concious thing, it came from what we grew up listening to, and in the end, the final product doesn't resemble something you would find in a djent song (imo of course)

and of course our guitar tones never sound too djenty because we don't like them to sound like that.

so I think what I'm trying to say is that as long as you are doing what you want to do and what you know how to do as a result of the music that influenced you, you shouldn't be afraid to use the same tools that people in other bands use for a fear of sounding like them or being associated with them.

just do you.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm stuck in the middle. Oh how I miss the days of melodeath.

Well, there was a time when melodeath was all the rage and people were probably wondering if that subgenre's popularity was going to smother all others. The answer to that concern was "no," and such will probably be the case here.

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. If you're good enough, you'll be fine. Contrary to popular belief, most people in the world don't listen to trendy subgenres.

exactly my thoughts on this. let the music speak for itself. trends will always exist. good music is timeless.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
If all else fails just say "Screw it!" and play D-beat crust punk. Can't go wrong with that!

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Ask fifty people who aren't a part of this form and who you haven't met at a show what djent is. You'll see how "dominant" the fad really is when forty-nine of them ask you what the fuck you're talking about.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Ask fifty people who aren't a part of this form and who you haven't met at a show what djent is. You'll see how "dominant" the fad really is when forty-nine of them ask you what the fuck you're talking about.

Better yet, ask ANYONE, even the people into Djent now, in two or three years and see what response you get :lol:

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
You're over thinking this, do what you want and play what you want. The only important thing is being honest, whatever genre you end up doing.
Djent and Deathcore might seems hype to you but that's a misconception. you feel like this because the people, places and community (them being Internet or IRL) you're into give you that false impression those genres are hype. In reality, they are not.
Most people on this planet never even heard of those genres, and even then they wouldn't think it's music at all.
So don't give a blip about what people might think, get an 8 string if that tickles you the right way, and have fun!

Black_Sheep

Reaction score
progressive melodic death metal

And that sounds much better than "Djent" (which isn't even a word you know), or deathcore ("blaaaaaaaarrhgh!"). Keep at it. If your songs are good enough and you play well, that's all that matter. Who the fuck cares if it's "this or that" genre.

And (imo) the best music is made when combining elements from other genres.

')