Djent Eleanor Rigby Cover (Mix)

• Thread starter Crescent2k6
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been a bit of a lurker here for a while and just finished my first Djent mix. Any tips/comments/advice? This is my first time mixing the genre despite being a huge Periphery/AAL fan and playing 7 string forever. Let me know what you think.

All mixed out of Pro Tools into an SSL4000G and recorded back into Pro Tools in stereo. Afterwards used a linear phase EQ and L2 to do some "Mastering" (I hate that term when it's being done in a bedroom like mine). I added far too much low end in the mix and ended up putting around a -8db low shelf on the 2 mix below 200hz to correct it.

EDIT: You probably want to know more about what I used...

Drums: Superior Drummer Metal Foundry Kit, onboard SSL Compressors and EQ.

Bass: Kontakt 5 MIDI, duplicated with RBass on one for "sub bass" and a second one EQ'ed to just mids distorted to hell, summed in Pro Tools before the console then onboard EQ and compression.

Guitars: Ernie Ball JP7 BFR Dargie Delight in Drop A -> MBox -> Guitar Rig 5. Again, console EQ and compressors (although almost no compression)

Horns/Piano/BG Vox: Onboard everything, Lexicon 480L Fat Plate preset for reverb

Lead Vox: LA-2A -> GML 8200 back to the console. Reverb send -> Lexicon PCM42 delay -> Bricasti M7 Rich Plate preset

Mixed mostly on Barefoot MicroMains but switched to the NS10's at times. A/B'ed with Make Total Destroy by Periphery both during the mix and "mastering" process.

Thanks in advance! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

C3Aye

Not C2Aye
Reaction score
Can't say anything bad about the mix man, just quite odd hearing Eleanor Rigby is this context. So for your guitar tone is it only guitar rig 5?

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
Thank you! And yeah it began as being for a school project to take a well known song and turn it into a new style. Being the metalhead I suggested djent and the singer and I went for it. And in this song yes it's only guitar rig 5.

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
I had tried using Red Wire impulses once upon a time a while ago but I could never get them to work (I honestly don't remember why, I think they wouldn't load into the Waves impulse reverb). I may try again however I recently set up and miced up an Orange Tiny Terror and the difference between that and guitar rig is pretty impressive, so I don't think I'll be going back to guitar rig any time soon.

C3Aye

Not C2Aye
Reaction score
Impulses are definitely the way to go if you don't have the means to mic up a cab/speaker, but you do so you have a few more options.

lewstherin006

Reaction score
This was a very cool project. Maybe next time try to run the drums to a 2nd bus so that way they sound thicker. check out Ola Englund's drum guide if you wanna see what im talking about.

Crescent2k6

Reaction score
That's actually a great idea, for some reason parallel compressing the drums didn't even cross my mind. Next mix for sure. Thanks man!

Latest posts

')