Djent guitar wood

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Bad no, but I prefer lighter woods for clarity. Whether I would be happy with mahogany would especially depend on scale length and tuning, but a lot of the tone can of course be countered by pickups.

+1

Swamp ash djents pretty nicely.

It also comes down to what your rig is, as RP said. A good pedal board like the Pod series and a nice djenty cabinet will do you wonders.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
I am new to this site and djent so please be understanding.

Don't take the guys reaction personally. The silent "D" word has a tendency to make everyone go a bit loopy. It's used around here quite often and people have gotten sick of it.

With the right picking technique and eq for your sound, you can easily get that mid-rangy twang that style requires. If you curious check out this thread:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/beginners-faq/219326-guide-djent-tone-updated-2-1-13-a.html

Welcome to the forum dude!

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
I am new to this site and djent so please be understanding.

Would've linked you to the rules as they've got one specifically for "djent" threads, but funny enough the link doesn't seem to work right now.

But yeah, the whole "djent" thing (OMG SYNCOPATION) hit critical mass a while back and a lot of people here are more or less tired of it, leading to what you've seen here.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
Problem is, the djent guide starts with "I'm sure you all know what djent is, so we'll skip on by...."
I do not know, but I get the feeling I have been unconsciously djenting my whole life :shred:.
I reckon a nice mahogany for girth coupled with a maple capped top to add some snap would be a great combo (?) That's what I'm looking at anyway for a new Carvin :scratch:

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Everyone knows you can only play djent with hollowbody Gibsons. Sell everything you own and buy one.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Best thing about this thread is OP's user name. Who would've thunk that was still available? That's like signing up for any email address like "Dave@gmail.com" and having it say, "Dave is available" instead of "how about Dave2013abcdcalifornia?"

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Is mahogany a bad guitar wood for playing djent? :scratch:

No. Mahogany is great. Although I would want maple for the neck because it has more Attack Attack! Seriously, my personal taste is that mahogany necks tend to sound a bit mellow. Also watch out for neckdive with mahogany necks in cheap guitars.

Besides technique, if you manage to get a noise gate and an eq that can cut the frequencies from 200 to 250 Hz, that would help too. That and palm muting a bit further from the bridge is a good start.

I hope you can laugh about the ridiculous jokes just like everyone here, no offense intended :)

Since djent has such an atrocious tone, I'd go with particle board, MDF, or OSB. Hopefully that will sound sufficiently shitty.

Oh cool, because MDF is compressed already :lol:

RGA8

Reaction score
I assume you want a tight low end sound. I have Swamp Ash on My DC800 and I like it. Swamp Ash gives you a very tight and bright low end plus it's a pretty light chunk of wood. Get it.

Alder wouldn't be to bad either. If you're spec-ing out a Carvin here's a thought for you. If you want the natural wood showing get Swamp Ash because it's very pretty. If you plan on painting the guitar just go with alder. It's plain and the tone is fairly similar to Swamp Ash but it's not as light. Alder isn't very pretty to look at naked so painting it is a must. Plus you'll save a few bucks.

As far as it being Djent, don't worry about that. If it sounds good and looks good to you, get it. Haters gonna hate.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
The thought occurs that this new guy is Quigs dropping by to get his troll on.

Probably not, but the thought makes me giggle.

')