Djenty

BrutalHipster

Reaction score
I have been playing for about eight years now and have been stuck with this FXT30 Crate.

I love the sound of djent guitar styles and am ready to beef up my equipment.

I want to play things similar to Cardona, Circle Of Contempt, Structures, Red Seas Fire, Aristeia and others alike.

Any suggestions on decent gear would be great. (eg. amps, pedals, even guitars I'd be happy to look at.)

As a side note, I was thinking of maybe getting an Ibanez XH300 but am unsure of how practical that is in the sound of djent, unsure what guitar I really want to be using. I own a Hellraiser C-1 FR, and Ibanez SA 120, both that play very easily and are seemingly versatile.

I looked into pedals and amps and stuff. A few that caught my eye were some of Peavey's stuff, and DAR. I haven't owned or played either so I don't know how they compare in the world of djent.

I would say a budget of under/up to $1850 in total would be practical. I'm not looking for best of the best but I'm looking for good quality.

As always, open to suggestions, though those very same suggestions will be brought most likely to the attention of some Guitar Center associate to help me out in finding it >.>

If there are any suggestions of equipment at locations that aren't GC, then don't hesitate. They're just a chain that's easy to find.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
As for amps, i would say Peavey is a good place to start, as is Carvin. Namely, 6534+ or V3 (the full size, i hear the micro isn't as good. As for the V3 full size head doing djent, i own one and can personally vouch for it). Both amps are known for being able to handle touring, gigging, and general abuse very well.

An 808 based pedal (Ibanez, Maxon, etc.) really helps to thicken things up, i'm an advocate for EQ pedals, but their aren't a necessity per se, and a good delay (Vox Time machine is really cool, Line 6 makes an excellent delay, definitely want a "tap tempo" if playing live) is always good to have in the loop.

otisct20

Reaction score
*obligatory POD HD or Axe-FX post* Actually a friend of mine has 6534+ and it is an incredible amp. it has so much balls it's crazy. Another friend has a 3120 and it too gets a pretty good "djenty" tone. Also having played through a pod, it is also a good option but honestly I'd try to get the 6534+ if I where you.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd get a good 7 strings and something like a POD HD and monitors. If you don't need fancy effects, then yea, the 6534+ is really good with a boost for those tones.
I guess an XH307 with a pickups change, a used OD808 and 6534+, and a used cab could get you there for the budget.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
As for amps, i would say Peavey is a good place to start, as is Carvin. Namely, 6534+ or V3 (the full size, i hear the micro isn't as good. As for the V3 full size head doing djent, i own one and can personally vouch for it). Both amps are known for being able to handle touring, gigging, and general abuse very well.

An 808 based pedal (Ibanez, Maxon, etc.) really helps to thicken things up, i'm an advocate for EQ pedals, but their aren't a necessity per se, and a good delay (Vox Time machine is really cool, Line 6 makes an excellent delay, definitely want a "tap tempo" if playing live) is always good to have in the loop.

6534+ with a V30 loaded cab. Preferably orange or mesa. I can say from personal experience that the 6534+ is a great amp for djent. You dont even really need a boost but it does help. Other than thatvall you need is a noisegate.

6534+ 1200$
Mesa cab 500$ used
Noise gate and boost can both be had for 120$ if you go used

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
If you want a 6534+ I can recommend a dealer that will sell them to you for under a grand brand new in the box. When i got mine I bought it for $900 shipped.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Hey man, welcome to the forum! :)

I'll give you a few options, as there are several ways to get the tone you want. There's two major routes for this kind of music, which are (basically) analog and digital.

With a basic analog setup you have this:

Guitar > Compressor > Noise Gate > Overdrive > Noise Gate > Amp

The compressor is very important for this kind of music as it gives you an even volume wherever you play on the fretboard, and make notes really pop, and not get drowned out by other notes. It also helps with clarity and definition for the same reasons, it makes all the notes a more even volume in a chord so you've got more definition.

The noise gate of course is to cut the noise of the guitar, as well as the excess noise brought on by using a compressor. If it makes all sound that passes through it a more even volume, that includes unwanted noise too unfortunately.

The next thing is an overdrive (most commonly used with the settings: Gain 0, Tone to taste, Level 10) to push the amp. This will really tighten up the response of the amp, as well as make the bass tighter and less muddy. Again, clarity is important in this style of music. It really changes the feel of the amp as well.

Your second noise gate obviously cuts the noise from the overdrive. Having two gates get a really tight sound when playing lines with a lot of quick, staccato notes where you need to stop RIGHT after you finish playing. It allows you to play fast, complicated rhythms without the notes bleeding into each other. You get the idea.

The amp is important, but you can get almost any amp to djent if you know how to do it properly, so don't worry too much about the amp that you pick. If it delivers enough gain, you'll be okay.

With a basic digital setup you have this:

Guitar > Digital Guitar Processor > FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) Speaker(s)

or

Guitar > Digital Guitar Processor > Power Amp > Guitar Speaker Cabinet

The digital processor you choose allows you to have more flexibility with your tone (in most ways) and some people would say is "better" for this style of music. Personally I think both ways are great, it just depends on what the player wants. Using a digital processor will give you more EQ options which is helpful, but can also limit some of the things you can do depending on the modeler you have. You might not be able to turn of cab simulators in the processor, which means it might not sound the way you want if you're running the second digital setup method. Using a cab and cab sim at the same time usually isn't what you want.

A digital processor with an FRFR speaker allows you to have complete control over your tone, and digital processors allow you to run your signal directly to a PA, so the audience will either get the exact tone you're hearing in your own FRFR monitor, or close to it, granted the PA system the venue uses is decent.

Before I get to specifics, it should also be noted that either of those guitars will be great for djent. I have a $50 Tele copy that can djent well, you'll be fine. :)

Now, all that being said, here are some specific options that are all available within your budget:

Guitar > Keeley 4-knob Compressor ($260) > Boss NS-2 Noise Gate ($100) > Maxon OD808 Overdrive ($150) > ISP Decimator Noise Gate ($140) > Peavey 6505 ($350 - $1500 depending on the model you want and if you buy new or used)

With this setup any good compressor, and good overdrive can be swapped in or out and you'll get positive results. Other amps that are good for this style include... well almost anything really! Jet City, ENGL, Blackstar, Marshall, you name it.

Guitar > POD HD500 ($500) > Alto TS115a ($300)

Other good speakers are the Mackie HD1221 ($800) or an Atomic wedge (~$800).

If you do end up going digital your budget also EASILY allows you a killer digital rig:

Guitar > AxeFX Ultra (Used, can be found for as low as $1,300) > Alto TS115a ($300)

Probably the best setup for djent if you choose to go digital. At least for your budget. Now, by best I mean most flexible, you will have more options, but the AxeFX is a beast of its own and I do not recommend it if you don't want to spend a lot of time tweaking and learning how to use the unit.

Anyways, in summary, as long as you have a decent amount of gain, a compressor to give you some clarity and balanced output across all strings, an overdrive to tighten up your sound, a noise gate or two (or three...) then you're set. Djent is about lots of mids, lots of clarity, a balanced sound across all strings and a boost at 1.4kHz to get that scratchy, abrasive, metallic "djent" sound. It's that simple. You can achieve all of this with any of the setups above.

Also, any analog setup can do all of these things easily except maybe the boost at 1.4kHz, sometimes that may need an extra hand. That problem is easily solved by an EQ pedal with a flat EQ curve and a small boost at 1.4kHz.

Now you can djent! YAYZ!! :fawk:

So yeah... that's a lot of bull to read through, but I hope it helps.

/thread

theronaldchase

Reaction score
Hey man, welcome to the forum! :)

I'll give you a few options, as there are several ways to get the tone you want. There's two major routes for this kind of music, which are (basically) analog and digital.

With a basic analog setup you have this:

Guitar > Compressor > Noise Gate > Overdrive > Noise Gate > Amp

The compressor is very important for this kind of music as it gives you an even volume wherever you play on the fretboard, and make notes really pop, and not get drowned out by other notes. It also helps with clarity and definition for the same reasons, it makes all the notes a more even volume in a chord so you've got more definition.

The noise gate of course is to cut the noise of the guitar, as well as the excess noise brought on by using a compressor. If it makes all sound that passes through it a more even volume, that includes unwanted noise too unfortunately.

The next thing is an overdrive (most commonly used with the settings: Gain 0, Tone to taste, Level 10) to push the amp. This will really tighten up the response of the amp, as well as make the bass tighter and less muddy. Again, clarity is important in this style of music. It really changes the feel of the amp as well.

Your second noise gate obviously cuts the noise from the overdrive. Having two gates get a really tight sound when playing lines with a lot of quick, staccato notes where you need to stop RIGHT after you finish playing. It allows you to play fast, complicated rhythms without the notes bleeding into each other. You get the idea.

The amp is important, but you can get almost any amp to djent if you know how to do it properly, so don't worry too much about the amp that you pick. If it delivers enough gain, you'll be okay.

With a basic digital setup you have this:

Guitar > Digital Guitar Processor > FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) Speaker(s)

or

Guitar > Digital Guitar Processor > Power Amp > Guitar Speaker Cabinet

The digital processor you choose allows you to have more flexibility with your tone (in most ways) and some people would say is "better" for this style of music. Personally I think both ways are great, it just depends on what the player wants. Using a digital processor will give you more EQ options which is helpful, but can also limit some of the things you can do depending on the modeler you have. You might not be able to turn of cab simulators in the processor, which means it might not sound the way you want if you're running the second digital setup method. Using a cab and cab sim at the same time usually isn't what you want.

A digital processor with an FRFR speaker allows you to have complete control over your tone, and digital processors allow you to run your signal directly to a PA, so the audience will either get the exact tone you're hearing in your own FRFR monitor, or close to it, granted the PA system the venue uses is decent.

Before I get to specifics, it should also be noted that either of those guitars will be great for djent. I have a $50 Tele copy that can djent well, you'll be fine. :)

Now, all that being said, here are some specific options that are all available within your budget:

Guitar > Keeley 4-knob Compressor ($260) > Boss NS-2 Noise Gate ($100) > Maxon OD808 Overdrive ($150) > ISP Decimator Noise Gate ($140) > Peavey 6505 ($350 - $1500 depending on the model you want and if you buy new or used)

With this setup any good compressor, and good overdrive can be swapped in or out and you'll get positive results. Other amps that are good for this style include... well almost anything really! Jet City, ENGL, Blackstar, Marshall, you name it.

Guitar > POD HD500 ($500) > Alto TS115a ($300)

Other good speakers are the Mackie HD1221 ($800) or an Atomic wedge (~$800).

If you do end up going digital your budget also EASILY allows you a killer digital rig:

Guitar > AxeFX Ultra (Used, can be found for as low as $1,300) > Alto TS115a ($300)

Probably the best setup for djent if you choose to go digital. At least for your budget. Now, by best I mean most flexible, you will have more options, but the AxeFX is a beast of its own and I do not recommend it if you don't want to spend a lot of time tweaking and learning how to use the unit.

Anyways, in summary, as long as you have a decent amount of gain, a compressor to give you some clarity and balanced output across all strings, an overdrive to tighten up your sound, a noise gate or two (or three...) then you're set. Djent is about lots of mids, lots of clarity, a balanced sound across all strings and a boost at 1.4kHz to get that scratchy, abrasive, metallic "djent" sound. It's that simple. You can achieve all of this with any of the setups above.

Also, any analog setup can do all of these things easily except maybe the boost at 1.4kHz, sometimes that may need an extra hand. That problem is easily solved by an EQ pedal with a flat EQ curve and a small boost at 1.4kHz.

Now you can djent! YAYZ!! :fawk:

So yeah... that's a lot of bull to read through, but I hope it helps.

/thread

I think this pretty much sums up everything anyone can really say about getting djenty sounding equipment. As far as guitars go, anything can work, so long as you have a high output humbucker or two in it. Ibanez is a good place to start. I might say to avoid active pickups. Go with a dimarzio crunchlab/liquifire combo and you'll be fine I'm sure.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Peavey 6534+ and a Noise Supressor (I use an ISP Decimator G-String. The normal Decimator will be fine.).

There is no reason to boost any Peavey 5150/6505 or 5150II/65**+. I can understand an EQ pedal if the 3 band isn't enough for you but that's it. The main three reasons to boost are more gain, tightness or thickness. Well the 6505 series have more gain than anyone will ever use (gain passed 7 is complete overkill), they're tight as a nuns asshole and the resonance know can get it as thick as an oak tree.

The only reason that I don't have a 6505 series amp is because I need good cleans. But if I didn't, I'd have a 6534+.

As for guitars, just anything with humbuckers and passive pickups.

BrutalHipster

Reaction score
Wow, I just joined this site and I'm happily surprised to see the speedy reply time!

Thanks to everyone who tossed me their advice and recommendations, I'll be sure to check all of it out! If there's any suggestions for a pedal(s) for a nice sounds for the cleaner parts of those oh so groovy djenty playing styles I'd be glad to look into them!

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Wow, I just joined this site and I'm happily surprised to see the speedy reply time!

Thanks to everyone who tossed me their advice and recommendations, I'll be sure to check all of it out! If there's any suggestions for a pedal(s) for a nice sounds for the cleaner parts of those oh so groovy djenty playing styles I'd be glad to look into them!

Chorus, Delay and Reverb.