Do drummers exist anymore?

• Thread starter Jahka
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TankJon666

Reaction score
Really good metal drummers are hard to find! Back in the day the band I was in went through loads of auditions and then took a chance on this crazy good 16 year old ...fast forward to now and he is the drummer for Carcass!

Low Baller

Reaction score
It's weird I feel like not long ago bass players were the odd breed hard to find especially in metal. Playing bass I had multiple bands even now I never have a hard time finding a band I choose to focus on solo work for now. I also play drums but am not at the level of what modern metal demands. I think part of the reason there are less drummers is

1. Yeah a drum kit is an investment and if you happen to live in a duplex, apartment, or have close by neighbors (like myself) you can't keep a kit at your place. 2. With technology so advanced and producing and DJing so popular I feel like some of the guys and girls who would be interested in drums turn to DJing and sequencing beats. Considering the fact you have a multitude of options sound wise and sequencing a beat is a learning process but not like having to physically learn and play drums. 3. Also electronic music is popular now and the metal scene now actually has a lot of people sequencing drums then when playing live bring it to a drummer to play. Metal drums are complex especially with all the odd times in djent and speed you need a skilled drummer.

I feel like it's tough for drummers especially in the metal scene today to be able to start out and get a cheap beater kit, get a group together and start learning and building their chops. A lot of metal musicians and bedroom producers sequence these complicated beats and say here play this. Before that time you would jam and the drummer would make their part. Now it seems like guitarist will get a drum machine and build their chops in the bedroom instead of finding a drummer to jam with at their level and working up. Due to the fact popular music is made with sequenced drums and DJing that's what's grabbing the kids attention.

I see it from both sides technology is great and I sequence drums because I can't have my kit were I live. Machines have perfect time and you can even adjust velocity and make it sound more human but a live drummer has soul and energy.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I've played drums for over 10 years now and have played guitar since diapers. I've toured playing either instrument, except I ditched the diapers years ago.

Drums are hard work to play, move, maintain and store. Most of the drummers I know aren't into metal because it's too robotic. May as well have a computer doing it :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EcoliUVA

Not Gifted
Reaction score
The struggle is real.

Searched craigslist and ....ty band connection sites for months. Networked with other bands. No dice, save a few "yuk yuk I'm a drummer kick snare kick snare" responses.

Vocalist buys a bass from a dude on craigslist, dude turns out to be a metal drummer.

Vocalist: "Hey bruh thanks for the bass, I have a band."
Drummer: "Cool story bruh it probably sucks."

... next day ...

Drummer: "Doesn't suck, I'll join."

Moral: Buy stuff on craigslist.