Do I really want a rack?

• Thread starter greenpants
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

greenpants

Reaction score
Well I want a sound like suicide silence :bowdown: and just can't find it with any amp or guitar or pedal so I'm thinking about rack gear. One of my friends said that a lot of EQing could get the sound I want so I looked at alot of 15 and 31 band eq's, found one that looked nice so I'm gonna try it out sometime.

I was just wondering if it would be worth it, like what else could I put on a rack to get that sound? multi-effects units? I kinda don't wanna mess with those though. so could someone help me out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

smucarolina

King of the Chatroom
Reaction score
first off...what gear are you using now?

the only benefit to rack gear is that fact that you can mix and match different pre-amps and power amps. there are plenty of options out there that can give you a desired tone you are looking for or extremely close to it.

If I were you I would just start out with a simple preamp and power amp for your rack. if you dig it add other stuff to it as time goes by to make sure it is really for you...

some people feel the need to fill up a 8 space rack...it isn't always necessary. I live rule KISS...keep it simple stupid. makes guitar rigs a lot easier that way. just my 2 cents.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
LTD SC607 Tuned to Drop A
Tubescreamer
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Mesa Traditional cab (I think :scratch:)

Sprinkle in some studio magic, and you've got a Suicide Silence tone.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Add Lungren to that and you get TesseracT too lol. I'd say no on the rack unless you're just gunna buy an Axe FX.

getaway_fromme

Reaction score
I would only ever recommend someone to go rack if:

A) you need to shorten setup time for shows.
B) you need to consolidate a shit ton of equipment into one box
C) you really really truly love a specific pre that you can't live without in Head form...

Or D) you own a studio

Other than that, I can't see a good reason to go to racks.

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score
I could be wrong on this but if memory serves well I remember reading in the 5 yr anniversary of Dimebag's death issue of Guitar World that they used a Boss Metalcore pedal in their pedal chain as a boost (like what you would use a tubescreamer for) and also a Boss EQ pedal.

EDIT: just went and checked that issue and it shows that for the song "Wake Up" is that it is a 7 tuned to Drop A and the pedal chain is as follows (all Boss pedals):
RV-5 -> NS-2 -> GE-7 -> ML-2

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
Simple is better, IMO. I went through the rack phase, the pedal phase, etc., but now I'm mostly a plug and play kind of guy, maybe a boost depending on the amp, and some modulation in the loop only when needed.

greenpants

Reaction score
well I definently don't have enough for any kind of mesa gear. right now I'm playin a peavey vypyr head and some cheap peavey cab but it's not that bad. I just can't get that sound. I'm saving for a randall v2h (and a new cab) tons of shaping options and sounds sick. the only effects I really use is tremolo and rotary speaker (I try to get some out there sounding effects) I think I might just get a big EQ and see if i can dig it. thanks for the help guys.

Kali Yuga

Reaction score
The cost of rack equipment and the rack itself can easily cost as much or more as a Dual/Triple Rectifier. Also, be warned that a 31-band EQ isn't a dedicated guitar EQ, and that many of the frequencies are outside of a guitars typical range. You are better to get a 15-band EQ, perhaps a dual channel so that you can chain through before the preamp and then again before the poweramp.

drenzium

Reaction score
I would only ever recommend someone to go rack if:

A) you need to shorten setup time for shows.
B) you need to consolidate a shit ton of equipment into one box
C) you really really truly love a specific pre that you can't live without in Head form...

Or D) you own a studio

Other than that, I can't see a good reason to go to racks.

E) AxeFX

:D

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Basic advice: buy the stuff you like the sound of, and make do with it. Don't limit yourself to "rack or not rack".

Reaction score
mod edit: better advice, don't be a dick after only 21 posts or you'll be taking some time off

BL1NDSIDE-J haha ask me if I give a fuck?

original post: Better advice: Don't listen to Suicide Silence

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Better advice: Don't listen to Suicide Silence

:yesway:

But for the sake of providing quality opinions to fellow guitarists - neither guys use any rackmount effects. They just run stomp noise gates and overdrive pedals. Tuning your guitar to their tuning alone is 90% of their sound.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
Better advice: Don't listen to Suicide Silence

Instead, just listen to JoJo's "Leave (Get Out)" and quit playing guitar altogether. Focus on trying to become proficient in the field of insurance claims, and grow your 401(K) so you can retire and compare RVs with your neighbor in Orlando, Florida.

Actually, just listen to whatever kind of metal you want, regardless if people on the Internet think it's shit.

I'd stay away from the rack for. You're already saving up for nice gear, a 15-band EQ should top it off, as well as help shape your tone. A rack, at least in your situation, is like trying to put a tack in the wall with a sledgehammer. It'd be overkill right now.

garza

Reaction score
Well I want a sound like suicide silence :bowdown: and just can't find it with any amp or guitar or pedal so I'm thinking about rack gear. One of my friends said that a lot of EQing could get the sound I want so I looked at alot of 15 and 31 band eq's, found one that looked nice so I'm gonna try it out sometime.

I was just wondering if it would be worth it, like what else could I put on a rack to get that sound? multi-effects units? I kinda don't wanna mess with those though. so could someone help me out?

Hey dude! try staying away from those rack eq's. We run the early 90's Mesa Triple Recs and straight Mesa cabs w/ V30s. The first step would be getting a Ibanez TS9 and Boss NS-2. Just crank your mids up and pull off on the gain a little bit w/ whatever amp your running right now. Hope this helps out a bit.

greenpants

Reaction score
Hey dude! try staying away from those rack eq's. We run the early 90's Mesa Triple Recs and straight Mesa cabs w/ V30s. The first step would be getting a Ibanez TS9 and Boss NS-2. Just crank your mids up and pull off on the gain a little bit w/ whatever amp your running right now. Hope this helps out a bit.

ok man thanks. by the way do you have any idea when or where I'll be able to get your new schecter?

')