Do Macs suck?

• Thread starter Vince
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
How has Apple disposed of their hardware?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mykie

Fatal Havoc
Reaction score
PC - Gaming
Mac - Video, webdesign, and recording music

gojira

Reaction score
darren said:
How has Apple disposed of their hardware?

they have shifted to x86 architecture - they haven't really disposed of it, but it's definately a step in that direction - running mac osx wont be a problem on a pc - it wont be legal, and you may need to fuck around a bit - but it will work. I think with time the mac will just turn into a pc -

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Apple makes too much money on their hardware to abandon it. Time will tell if the hackers can keep one step ahead of Apple locking the OS out of non-Apple hardware.

Just because they've moved to Intel chipsets doesn't mean OS X will run on white-box Intel hardware. There are plenty of PowerPC-based machines (like XBOX 360) that you can't run OS X for PowerPC on.

gojira

Reaction score
darren said:
Apple makes too much money on their hardware to abandon it. Time will tell if the hackers can keep one step ahead of Apple locking the OS out of non-Apple hardware.

Just because they've moved to Intel chipsets doesn't mean OS X will run on white-box Intel hardware. There are plenty of PowerPC-based machines (like XBOX 360) that you can't run OS X for PowerPC on.

well considering it's already been done - I'd argue with that -

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
gojira said:
well considering it's already been done - I'd argue with that -

Yeah, it's been done. With little drivers available, and no support. MMmm sounds good to me!

Skeksis

Closed Eye Visuals
Reaction score
Well I don't know about earlier versions of Mac OS, but X has never crashed or locked up on me. I'm a PC user because I was raised with PCs, but Macs still kick ass.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
regarding the cost of both systems, check this out:
for 350$+tax last night, i bought a AMD 64 3000+ CPU/Mobo Combo(179$), a cheap case(50$), 512 DDR Ram (75$) and a few fans. I used my old video card and hard drives, and i now have a rather serious computer for 350$. with the exception of an old video card (only 128 meg vid ram), everything's pretty much uptodate. I got 310 gigs of hard drive space as well. Boots up in 20 seconds. its glorious. PC FTW \m/

')