Do thich picks (1.5mm+) suck?

• Thread starter Xango66
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xango66

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I feel like they are really slowing me down and I'm hearing some pros say that they do even for metal and its better to just have .88s. Whats the consensus

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
The consensus is that everyone is different. Try lots, use what you like best and don't overthink it.

I've used and enjoyed picks up to 3mm, gone through phases and tried out lots of different things over many years (tortex/star picks, ultex, many varieties of jazz III, stubbies, many varities of dunlop flow, dragon's heart, brass picks, etc etc). Of the "fancy" picks I tried, the 1.5mm+ jumbo sized flows were my overall favorite, loved the sharpness and stiffness for melody lines and trem picking, but found them harsh and "clicky" for strumming.

Ultimately I settled back on good ol' 1mm black nylon dunlops as the ideal compromise. Sometimes the simple answer is the correct one. To paraphrase Mitch Hedburg, "I bought a $10 guitar pick, because I got tired of losing picks and not caring."

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
I vastly prefer thicker picks. My go-to plectrums for electric guitar a the 3mm Gravity Sunrise Minis, but ofc it all depends on personal preference, playstyle, etc. I've tried a ton of picks, including other, more "boutique" options, and the Gravitys have won out every time for me. I feel I can play possibly faster, and definitely cleaner than with any others, and the thickness actually helps alleviate/cut down on my tennis elbow problems quite a bit.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I'd say pick size is a balancing act between control and momentum.

For really thick picks (3+ mm) you get a ton of momentum. The resistance of the string becomes a non-factor and you glide through with much less resistance. Keeping alternate picking pendulum motions is much easier. Sweep picking is a breeze, and economy picking is more economical. But they obviously take up more space the thicker you get so I find I lose a lot of precision for really detailed movements.

For medium picks (1-2ish mm), you have a good balance of fine control with less string resistance. I like 1.14 or 1.35mm picks. They have no flex at all but are still thin and light enough that I get a good tactile feedback from the strings. But you do have to grip harder and put a little more effort into things. Fast picking and sweeps require angle adjustments to avoid the flat surfaces, where thick picks naturally have angled attacks even when flatpicking.

I prefer thin picks (<1 mm) for big chords and cleaner stuff. These will generally start to be flexible so faster passages require more work to get through. I also use non-sharp picks when I'm in this range as I am usually not going so much for fast precision but lushness and feel.

I would just buy like 20 to 50 different kinds of picks from .71 mm to 5 mm with different sizes, tip shapes, materials, etc. until you find what you like. My preference is Tortex Jazz III's in 1.35mm for everything but acoustic and blues, and Delrin 500's in .71mm for those. Very different shapes, sizes and material between those two picks and it took a ton of experimenting to land there. Some people chase the right picks forever without landing on anything and some people just stick to one thing forever. No one size fits all here.

Ross82

Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. I use .88 and 1.0 at most. Anything over that and it feels to me like playing with a brick, there's tactile feel.

Reaction score
I'm on the thick picks side of life. I've even made and used 4mm steel picks. At the moment I digging Jazz III at 3mm thick...

Moongrum

Reaction score
I use 0.88mm Tortex Flow picks. Anything else feels too stiff or floppy for me, just personal preference. I mostly hybrid pick, and don't do anything that would be considered shred or chuggy triplet metal stuff.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I'm on the thick picks side of life. I've even made and used 4mm steel picks. At the moment I digging Jazz III at 3mm thick...

I'm legit curious, as someone who grew up having to glue Fender thin picks together and using quarters and other odd objects as picks...how did you decide you need one that thick?

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I bought probably a hundred different picks and kept going back to the 1.5mm jazz iii's. I found some nice ones with grips on them that I really enjoy. Every few years I think I need to change it up but then come back.

I use 3mm for a bit and enjoyed them too. Just made me play different.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No, I use 1.3mm vintage jazz III sized pick and it's probably the fastest and most accurate picking I'll ever get. Sometimes I'll grab one of those 2mm hard as f. Gravity picks and chug away.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I used Dunlop Jazz 3 mm Stubby picks for years. When I had a full-time guitar tech gig, I was burning through about a pick a week because the tips would wear. At that point I changed over to 2.5mm Dragon's Heart GT picks, then Dragon's Heart Hardened picks. I still use those along with occasional Dunlop Flow 2 or 3 mm. I definitely favor the thick (thicc) picks for more tactile control. I don't like the feeling of picks flexing when striking the string; the string should be flexing to the pick, not the other way around.

Reaction score
I'm legit curious, as someone who grew up having to glue Fender thin picks together and using quarters and other odd objects as picks...how did you decide you need one that thick?
Some years ago I met a fellow who was trying to start a guitar related parts company doing custom pickguards and picks and he asked for reviews at a local forum in which I was, much like this one but in Portuguese. I volunteered and got a pack of picks to test in which there were some 2 or 3mm thick ones. On the second trial, he sent me some really thick ones with 4 or 5mm. The company didn't move forward for some reason, but I got the thick pick bug and decided to make a forever lasting pick made out of steel, so I got a 4mm steel rod and grind a bunch of picks that I used for some years.

Because we, guitarists are crazy minded and inconsistent, I'm always testing whatever and gave the Jazz III 3mm picks a go and liked it, so that's my boat for now.

Back in the 90's I also glued picks to get thicker ones, and added sk8board griptape leftovers on them for better grip. It works wonders...

... and as already said, I like picks that don't ask permission to strings to hit them...

Horse-T

Reaction score
Recently tried the Dunlop flow picks 2 mm and fell in love with them. Tried all different kind of picks but anything above 3 mm causes unwanted string noises for me. Some guy in Swiss is doing massively thick picks (Hufschmid Guitars) and there are some guys playing with them fast. So I guess you just have to find the right one for you.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
1.2 - 1.4 is my ideal range, harder duro the better.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
2 is my limit at the moment, I have a few 2.0 Flows in my rotation. But I find anything bigger than that impossible. I used a really big old Winspear pick for a few years and I basically had to rebuild my right hand technique after I realised I hated it.

I'm mainly using Loomis picks or JP Jazz/Trinity at the moment. My ideal pick is a slightly smaller Loomis with a slightly more bevelled edge and nicer material, or a slightly bigger Richardson pick with a more grippy texture.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
My ideal is about .88, firm enough to really push the strings but springy enough to snap through them and brighten up the tone a bit.

Mboogie7

When the fuck did we get ice cream?
Reaction score
My go to for the last few years have been the EB prodigy jazz 2.0’s.

I noticed some more resistance/having to use more motion for some of the more intricate stuff but I’ve found this has also made me a better player.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I've tried everything, and I have never been able to get used to thick picks. I feel like they generate a physical disconnect for me. Thinner picks just have a more immediate feel. More feedback from the strings.

These days I like green Tortex Flows the best. But also Ultex Sharps, Stringjoy Jumbo Jazz, and similar. .8-1mm ish, normal size, and somewhat pointed tip.

tedtan

Reaction score
I tend to go for 1.0 to 1.14mm Ultex picks for electric guitar and 1.2 to 1.5mm Blue Chip picks for acoustic. I’ll occasionally use something else for a specific sound, but those account for 90+ percent of my playing.

Latest posts

')