Do thich picks (1.5mm+) suck?

• Thread starter Xango66
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
8lsv4s.jpg
How did I miss this lmao

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gclef

Reaction score
I'm a thick and/or stiff pick guy. Any flex becomes readily apparent to me.

That said I like dunlop's jazz 3 size in 1.1 or so mm. The white one and black ones. Stiff and still thin. Very fast after I play with fatter picks.

I use 2mm gator grips, 2 and 3mm gravity picks in different sizes. These are my standards.

slippityslaps

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone have experience between 2mm vs 3mm picks? What are the pros and cons between the two?

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have experience between 2mm vs 3mm picks? What are the pros and cons between the two?
2mm picks for me aren't significantly different than 1.4-1.5 mm picks. 3mm, however, is a different animal. So, if you've tried 1.5 mm picks (some of the Dunlop Petruccis), you can expect something similar to 2mm.

I haven't read the whole thread but I think you can find the benefits/drawbacks of a 3mm pick in here. Mind you that thickness is only part of the story, the overall shape is incredibly important as well as the sculpting around the tip, particularly in thicker picks.

I personally am using mostly a BHL Wizard Pro, which I think is around 4mm. Plays effortlessly due to the holes and the slick tip, but some days I wish it was 3mm and shaped like my BHL HP #3, so I'll switch between those two often. Love them both.

jco5055

Reaction score
my current fave is a 2.5mm Blue chip, and I'd guess based on technique 3-3.5 is probably the limit before thickness actually impedes ability?

gh0styboi

Everybody Poops
Reaction score
2mm Big Stubby for the win. Though I'm also known to use Dunlop Flow 1mm and Howling Monkey picks, which are normally 2mm for me.

Mwoit

Reaction score
I use Chicken Pick Shredder 3.5mm for electric guitar for everything. The tip wears out which is a bit annoying, but I find the worn out tips are good for strumming and rhythm.

1720560610493.png

I sometimes use a V-Pick Dimension which I think is 4mm for bass guitar, and sometimes electric guitar. I can't really use any other picks to be honest, it feels weird!

1720560916900.png

Robslalaina

Reaction score
Worn .90 ultex sharp is the best all rounder for me. The non sharp 1.14 glides better but lacks precision imo.

slippityslaps

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
2mm Big Stubby for the win. Though I'm also known to use Dunlop Flow 1mm and Howling Monkey picks, which are normally 2mm for me.
Big fan of the 2mm Flow picks. The rounded shoulder and pointed tip is efficacious for consistency and dynamics.

Stiman

Reaction score
Recently, I've tried the Jazz III XL size for the first time in 20+ years of playing, and I'm wondering what took me so long. I've been playing with different Jazz IIIs forever, and Flow picks recently. Big fan of the XL size, and it's crazy how close they are to the Flow size and shape.

NickK-UK

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm really annoyed that Gibson stopped making their teardrop 20 years ago.. Whereas others seemed to use massive picks with all sorts of things on.. I just used A Heavy teardrop between my thumb and forefinger. Now I use something similar - a stagg touch 3.0mm.

IMG_3348.jpg

VisionSwords

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I feel like they are really slowing me down and I'm hearing some pros say that they do even for metal and its better to just have .88s. Whats the consensus
If you don't like them then don't use them. The reason they offer so many different kinds is because people's preferences vary a lot. Picks are cheap so you can buy a bunch of different kinds and just try them out.

slippityslaps

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm really annoyed that Gibson stopped making their teardrop 20 years ago.. Whereas others seemed to use massive picks with all sorts of things on.. I just used A Heavy teardrop between my thumb and forefinger. Now I use something similar - a stagg touch 3.0mm.

View attachment 146669
These look very close to the Dunlop 205. It's smaller than a regular Dunlop Jazz III. I'd stick with it forever if the material wasn't polycarbonate which just wears out so easily for me.
1720790063129.png

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
These look very close to the Dunlop 205. It's smaller than a regular Dunlop Jazz III. I'd stick with it forever if the material wasn't polycarbonate which just wears out so easily for me.
View attachment 146764
I have a few of the 206, which are a bit more elongated. They feel a bit weird in the beginning, but I got used to them pretty quickly. They're very smooth and have a really nice and mellow sound when I play on my hollow body. They do wear out very quickly, but I don't use them often enough to care too much.

slippityslaps

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a few of the 206, which are a bit more elongated. They feel a bit weird in the beginning, but I got used to them pretty quickly. They're very smooth and have a really nice and mellow sound when I play on my hollow body. They do wear out very quickly, but I don't use them often enough to care too much.
Nice, honestly if they had grip like the Flow does, and made it out of ultex or something, I'd buy a year's worth at a time. It's a sleeper pick for sure.

PerfectCandor

Anti-Active-Pickup Activist
Reaction score
Nice, honestly if they had grip like the Flow does, and made it out of ultex or something, I'd buy a year's worth at a time. It's a sleeper pick for sure.

I love Dunlop Jazztones. I have tried from 205-208 and the 208s are my favorites of the line and fall into second place of my overall favorite picks.
I still agree that flows are just that much better, so I use 2mm Dunlop flow standard grips as I think they are about perfect for me in any style. I can remember when I started playing heavier stuff, I used ultex 1.14mm and later (but still pretty early) realized I loved thick thick picks, so I used the dunlop 4.2mm flow for a year or so lol

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
1.14 Sharp is my current happy medium. I think I'd like it to be a bit stiffer, but I don't like the thicker versions. Maybe if it were nylon instead I'd finally be happy. I'll likely try the Thordendal pick next.

Briz

Lifelong Learner
Reaction score
I've always been a jazz iii .88 guy. After reading through this thread, I ordered quite a few of the recommendations to experiment. I've gotta say, this gravity big mini sunrise 2 polished solves quite a few problems for me, and it's extremely comfortable. Thanks for dropping that recommendation.

Latest posts

')