Do thich picks (1.5mm+) suck?

• Thread starter Xango66
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stiman

Reaction score
It's a personal thing, but I'm betting you'll be impressed.

I'm really surprised at how much I like it, and also at how quickly I adapted (as in, instantly). It's not as big of a jump in feel as I thought it would be going from 2.0mm Petrucci/Andy James Flows to this 4.20mm Flow. Especially when you think about how different the 0.73, 0.88 and 1.0 picks are from each other.

If I do end up sticking with it, I hope they last long because they aren't cheap!

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
I'm really surprised at how much I like it, and also at how quickly I adapted (as in, instantly). It's not as big of a jump in feel as I thought it would be going from 2.0mm Petrucci/Andy James Flows to this 4.20mm Flow. Especially when you think about how different the 0.73, 0.88 and 1.0 picks are from each other.

If I do end up sticking with it, I hope they last long because they aren't cheap!
I'm glad you enjoy it. No I don't have any financial interest in Jim Dunlop. 🙂

I haven't had one wear out yet, but the bulk of my gigging days are behind me, so YMMV.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I haven't had one wear out yet, but the bulk of my gigging days are behind me, so YMMV.
Wear of picks seems to be very dependent on the player (how they use it + what wear is considered positive/negative/inconsequential), as well as the pick material and shape.
Someone's picking technique can obviously impact how much abrasion is incurred to the various surfaces of a pick, so some of us will wear them down quicker than others.
Some people prefer a pick once it has naturally worn to a bevel, which means they'll happily use it for a very long time before them deem a replacement necessary (and they might even put that off longer than they should out of their dislike for a brand new pick). Other people will switch to a new pick as soon as they perceive the slightest bit of wear to the edge/tip/face.
Some people (e.g. me) like the grip / feel of a brand new Torex pick, but find them too slippery as soon as the matte surface starts to wear to a slight sheen...which doesn't take long.

Ultex is supposedly more durable than nylon or Tortex, and many people seem to find that to be the case, but I really don't. For me, the edge of an Ultex Jazz III quickly becomes too worn down (far beyond the custom bevel on the JP Primetone but in the same place). With the same amount of playing, any of the nylon Jazz III variants would be looking close to brand new...so that's what I use now (Max Grip version).

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
I use 2mm stubbies. Used to waver about the 1-1.2mm. The difference in the amount of control I had with the 2mm pick was astonishing. I was surprised to read recently that Paul Gilbert uses a 0.73mm pick....but then again that guy could use anything.

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
Wear of picks seems to be very dependent on the player (how they use it + what wear is considered positive/negative/inconsequential), as well as the pick material and shape.
Someone's picking technique can obviously impact how much abrasion is incurred to the various surfaces of a pick, so some of us will wear them down quicker than others.
Some people prefer a pick once it has naturally worn to a bevel, which means they'll happily use it for a very long time before them deem a replacement necessary (and they might even put that off longer than they should out of their dislike for a brand new pick). Other people will switch to a new pick as soon as they perceive the slightest bit of wear to the edge/tip/face.
Some people (e.g. me) like the grip / feel of a brand new Torex pick, but find them too slippery as soon as the matte surface starts to wear to a slight sheen...which doesn't take long.

Ultex is supposedly more durable than nylon or Tortex, and many people seem to find that to be the case, but I really don't. For me, the edge of an Ultex Jazz III quickly becomes too worn down (far beyond the custom bevel on the JP Primetone but in the same place). With the same amount of playing, any of the nylon Jazz III variants would be looking close to brand new...so that's what I use now (Max Grip version).

WOW! I didn't know about the bevel on the JP picks. For the past couple years I've been using 2mm AJ Flows and I always hold them in the same orientation to wear a bevel onto them on purpose. I always felt like I didn't like them fresh out of the pack, but not too heavily played. I never really considered that could even be a thing, but now I can spend less time 'wearing in' picks and more time on the forums...

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
WOW! I didn't know about the bevel on the JP picks. For the past couple years I've been using 2mm AJ Flows and I always hold them in the same orientation to wear a bevel onto them on purpose. I always felt like I didn't like them fresh out of the pack, but not too heavily played. I never really considered that could even be a thing, but now I can spend less time 'wearing in' picks and more time on the forums...
It's not just the JP Primetones, but also the regular 1.4mm Primetone Jazz III. It's the sole reason I tried them in the first place, and the reason they became my favorite Jazz III picks. But they wear out relatively fast because, well, they already have some "wear" on them from the factory.

I got 3 of my BHLs with a right-hand bevel, which is essentially the same thing.
20240727_014619.jpg

However, admittedly, I did not find it makes as much sense for me on the two thicker picks on the left. They glide super easily, but there's significantly more contact area between the string and the pick that may feel strange in the beginning. From now on all my thicker ones will have regular tips and sculpted tips on the thinner ones (sub 2 mm)

')