Do you believe a Guitar possesses "MOJO" from prior owners?

• Thread starter Hexatticus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hexatticus

Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I've seen many artists (not necessarily metal ones) speak about their gear in terms of mojo. Guitars, amps, pedals, etc. Especially when discussing vintage gear.

jimwratt

Reaction score
I buy my mojo by the gallon:
Badia Marinade - 128 oz x 4 pack

In all seriousness though, mojo is an African-American folkloric concept (hoodoo to be precise) that related to a person (typically a man's) sexual prowess and luck. I believe we call it "swag" in today's parlance. It's not something you impart on an object. It's more of the effect you have on other people, a je ne sais qua. It's kind of nonsensical to think a guitar has the sexual magnetism of its previous owner...kind of weird too. You should have your own powerful mojo. Why would you want someone else's

BlackWinds10

Kick em in the nuts!
Reaction score
I don't believe in mojo from a previous owner, but I do believe some guitars feel a bit more special than others of the same kind. Could be mojo, could just be a guitar built better. I've played 6 different MIJ RG7s, and the RG7620 I own, felt the best out of all of them, and has been with me longer than any guitar, I've even sold JPs before I sold it xD

Demiurge

Reaction score
Mojo, as some sort of intangible feel- no. But three things are possible with a well-played used guitar: (1) extended play may have knocked-down some of the sticky glossiness of the neck's finish, lending to smoother play, (2) extended use has probably involved a good professional setup at some point in the guitar's life, improving playability, and (3) natural selection- production guitars can be inconsistent and the better specimens are more durable and likely to have "survived" in playable condition.

jimwratt

Reaction score
Mojo, as some sort of intangible feel- no. But three things are possible with a well-played used guitar: (1) extended play may have knocked-down some of the sticky glossiness of the neck's finish, lending to smoother play, (2) extended use has probably involved a good professional setup at some point in the guitar's life, improving playability, and (3) natural selection- production guitars can be inconsistent and the better specimens are more durable and likely to have "survived" in playable condition.

Also, a good player is likely to have selected a viable (instrument) mate in the first place.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
Guitars are pieces of wood brah.
Mojo is injected intravenously.
Wood does not have veins...

monkeysuncle

Reaction score
Nah, but I did buy a RR3 back in high school that stunk like shit to the point where I sold it soon after

BusinessMan

Reaction score
In a sense yes. When I bought my horizon from Ryan I felt I had to do my best to live up to the guitars former owner/user and I noticed myself improving a little bit.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
No mojo here and I like it that way. Not sure what cleaner I'd have to use to safely get that stuff off :ugh:

mcd

stuff and thangs
Reaction score
honestly if mojo does exist... I'd like to take the opportunity to apologize to every forum member that has bought/traded guitars from/with me. I did not intend for you to become worse players, and I am ashamed of my actions.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I don't think so, all the guitars I've gotten on here so far I haven't liked as much as the ones I bought new.

Actually, all but one of them have either been or are up for trade on here.

Latest posts

')