Do you believe a Guitar possesses "MOJO" from prior owners?

• Thread starter Hexatticus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hexatticus

Reaction score
I feel like this guitar just oozes mojo because of who used to play and tour with it. Below is a taste of them. Knoxville band called Dialects.

I traded for/bought this 8 string from one of the Guitar players from this Band. (Schecter C-8 Special 26.5" with Vintage Yellowed White Binding) I traded a mint metallic grey MIJ RG470XL Baritone 6 27" + $125 cash for this beauty of a guitar. (pics coming)

Dialects: "The V.E.C Complex" - 2014 - YouTube

DIALECTS "DEMOCIDE" - YouTube

Dialects - "Formations" Lyric Video - YouTube

So does this guitar or any guitar have something from the muse and skill of its former owner/s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
My best guitar was a touring/studio guitar for a Knoxville artist, it has a few quirks and problems from being used so much but damn it's a great guitar!

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
does this guitar or any guitar have something from the muse and skill of its former owner/s?

Unfortunately no, previous owners do not leave any physical "mojo" on a guitar. although im sure there are plenty of other bodily fluids that accumulate on them during tour :ugh:

Hexatticus

Reaction score
Its the C-8 on the right w/ SD AHB-1 Blackouts. The Damien on the left has the stock EMG 808's

photo2_zps22e311db.jpg

Hexatticus

Reaction score
My best guitar was a touring/studio guitar for a Knoxville artist, it has a few quirks and problems from being used so much but damn it's a great guitar!

Do tell what guitar was it? And who from? Also do you guys think I struck a good deal??

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
definitely a pretty good deal, those 470's can be found for 350 new. so plus the money thats a $475 value, and you could not find your c-8 you got in that price range. closer to the $600 mark probably.

Hexatticus

Reaction score
definitely a pretty good deal, those 470's can be found for 350 new. so plus the money thats a $475 value, and you could not find your c-8 you got in that price range. closer to the $600 mark probably.

Remember its a 470XL with 27" Scale not the regular RG470. These were the first baritone 6 guitars on the market I ever saw from a big time Mfg like Ibanez. Its serial number dated it 2001 made in the Fugi-Gen Plant.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
Do tell what guitar was it? And who from? Also do you guys think I struck a good deal??

Its a Jem DBK with a 90s rg550 maple neck from some guy, I think his name was Joe Riley? It was years ago but I traded my strat that I never got along with for a more modern guitar. Also I think you got a pretty good deal, especially if this guitar is more suited to you.

Hexatticus

Reaction score
By the way, my fav tuning is by far EAEADGBE. I can play all of my drop tuned creations in drop A along with a Standard E0 over Drop A elements added. I can't shred on these axes quite as well as I can on 25.5" scale but this new world is a dream world for me with Mojo fueling the creative juices.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I don't really feel like a guitar could have a "mojo" from a previous owner, but I'm a firm believer in certain guitars resonating with you better than others, as it were. My Ibanez SZ520 is a good example, it's bone stock, and plays almost as well (to me anyway) as Wes Hauch's old BRJ Jekyll 627, and it can't have been more than $700 brand new, in 2003.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Mojo is all in your head. If you got the guitar from a musician you dig and that means something to you, then playing it will make you happier than a "normal" guitar would, and that might have a positive impact on your playing (depending on how your emotions effect your playing. Some people are motivated by negative emotions).

So does the guitar have mojo to you? Sure, it seems that way.

I don't give five fvcks and a handshake about the band/guitarist it previously belonged to, so it wouldn't have any special mojo or meaning to me. It'd be just another guitar to me, completely mojo-free.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Mojo from previous owners? :scratch: OH! You mean damage and fretwear from previous owners :idea:

Yeah, it's cool owning gear once owned by an artist you like (I've bought a number of things from artists I enjoy) but when it really comes down to it, it's the same as any other used gear. A pedal is a pedal, a guitar is a guitar, etc. but at the same time wear is wear, and damage is damage.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Only from myself.
I do kind of feel a partnership with the "spirit of the instrument'".
Sure it's in my head, but that's plenty good enough for me.:lol:

Maybe just knowing that it's made of woods, and then also thinking about how much of a determining factor that vibrations are to so many different processes :scratch:, and ect.,,,,,,,,,,.......

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
Most of my instruments come from the used market, but I don't believe in "mojo" or really any attachment of energy to inanimate objects, I have other objects that would be much more likely to have "vibes", but I get nothing from those either.

')