Do you copy and paste parts/riffs when tracking?

• Thread starter Santuzzo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
When tracking parts of a tune, and the same part or riff is coming back at other spots within the song, do you copy and paste previous takes or do you record/track it every time over again?

I usually do record the riffs/parts each time again when they come back later on in the song, but I was wondering if copy pasting would be a good idea? Might save a lot of time.
Is copy/pasting the same parts common practice?

How do you guys do this? What's your opinion on this?

Thanks,
Lars

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

92guitarguy

Reaction score
I don't copy/paste as well...But I'm also interested in other opinions ;) For me recording the riffs again could add some sort of "live" feel. Since you can't copy/paste the riffs when you're playin them live. Don't know if it's really noticeable though

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I don't copy/paste as well...But I'm also interested in other opinions ;) For me recording the riffs again could add some sort of "live" feel. Since you can't copy/paste the riffs when you're playin them live. Don't know if it's really noticeable though

Thanks for your input!

I kind agree with you, but I was thinking that maybe I should start copy/pasting, since sometimes getting good takes just drives me nuts, I have to record take after take after take after take until I finally get a good take.
If I copy pasted a good take as opposed to going through the same process (record take after take until I finally get a good one) later in the song that would save me lots of time and nerves.

92guitarguy

Reaction score
Thanks for your input!

I kind agree with you, but I was thinking that maybe I should start copy/pasting, since sometimes getting good takes just drives me nuts, I have to record take after take after take after take until I finally get a good take.
If I copy pasted a good take as opposed to going through the same process (record take after take until I finally get a good one) later in the song that would save me lots of time and nerves.

haha Yeah, I know what you mean! Let's see what the others have to say ;)

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
sometimes, if it's just a quick demo and i can't get some intricate thing right that's played multiple times, i'll copy paste.

The Uncreator

Control The Sun
Reaction score
I dont copy paste, I am super paranoid and when I listen back just KNOWING that they are 100% identical bothers me.

If its just a demo for an idea or something, Ill just let it be sloppy, as long as I get the idea across.

drgamble

Reaction score
I only do copy/paste for demos and song ideas. I also use amp sims mainly for demo purposes. When I do it "for real", I like to mic up an amp and play along live with the track. Hopefully, by that point I have rehearsed the song enough to lay down a track with minimal punch ins and edits.

Najka

Reaction score
I copy and paste like it's cool lol. Check out my soundcloud and listen to my copy/paste loop goodness. I'll just get one Good take and loop the riff. I like it because it makes the music consistent and I want the guitar parts to sound the same in certain parts of the song. But mainly, it is a huge time saver. Although I don't know if I would call my tracks anything better than demo quality

Korngod

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
Contributor
Reaction score
Guilty. I copy and paste, but at times, I feel like I have to get a riff down JUST RIGHT for me to think it sounds good. From there I just copy and paste if it's repeated. I do however, record separate L and R tracks for each guitar part.

The Uncreator

Control The Sun
Reaction score
I'd say its lazy. I've quadtracked guitars for 15 minute songs, you put in the extra effort to make it sound good, thats the cost.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
i totally copy and paste a left and a right when i'm writing a song and recording it piece by piece as I go. In a final recording i would try to do as much as a take of the entire song as was possible

Purelojik

Reaction score
i'll usually record a chorus (twotakes L and R) which is eight bars or anything else thats eight bars then i mix and match them later on so it still sounds like its separate takes just jumbled around.

it makes sense to me. maybe someone else can explain it better

Dores

Reaction score
My band's biggest hit is copied/pasted ALL over the place, simply because I was in a rush when recording it.

Can you notice it?

Latest posts

')