Do you edit your rhythm guitars?

• Thread starter Santuzzo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
A small fade out is needed to avoid the "pop" (I don't know how to describe it in technical terms but I hope you get the idea)
Reaper automatically applies a fade out every time you split/cut/resize an item, so I just split my items and everything works good, I'm sure cubase has the option to automatically do fade outs too

Finding out the "right" spot where you have to edit to get the best result takes a bit of practice and sometimes you need a longer or shorter fade out, it depends on the effect you want

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
Always use a fade or you can get snaps, crackles and pops at every cut. And if you are going to edit, I would do the beginning and end of each phrase and the delete the "silence" in between phrases.

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
I think it's fine as it is, it also feels like you are already using some sort of noise gate because there's very little noise in the pauses already, so I personally wouldn't bother but there's no downside in cleaning it up if you feel like it!

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I think it's fine as it is, it also feels like you are already using some sort of noise gate because there's very little noise in the pauses already, so I personally wouldn't bother but there's no downside in cleaning it up if you feel like it!

Thanks! :yesway:

Yes, I have a noise gate in my guitar patch and there is also a noise gate on the track in Cubase.

I am not 100% sure yet what to do. When I listen to some of the modern metal stuff that's out there, the rhythm guitars are super-tight, I guess that kind of sound can only be achieved with some editing.
But I personally might prefer a somewhat more old school thrash kind of production sound for my music. I'm still undecided, though.

AntonioPetrole

Reaction score
Editing is required for even the tightest players. Killing silence between chugs, making super tight cuts between breakdowns and even slip editing individual notes while alternate picking. If you don't believe that this is happening on most major records then you believe wrong. Like someone else said, most music is inhumanly tight and if you want a super solid mix (as far as low end balance etc) these are the things you have to do. There are plenty of producers who will pocket every single bass and kick note together and slip edit every note that is played.

That being said those things do note make up for a sloppy performance, they only enhance the good ones. If you are going for vibey and looser styles of metal (doom etc.) than by all means just cut out the silences, but for most genres, these are the things that happen on a daily basis.

Edit: I see alot of people recommending noise gates. I have never had a noise gate that properly gated any performance as tight as manual editing.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
I heavily edit everything. I also drive my band INSANE with how many takes I make them do to make it clean in the first place.

BrianWaymire

Neo Star Nova-Z
Reaction score
just gonna throw my 2 cents in here too. I edit them only for the electronic sections of my music just to have some new samples to slice and edit. As far as rhythm guitar parts for the metal/rock stuff no I prefer to do it as natural as possible that way if I need to I can play it live with no complications.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
I've done sound wave splicing and editing in the past with drums and guitar when I used to use Audacity. But now if there's a bad spot or a small screw up, I'll just punch record over that spot, as long as the rest of the take is solid. If there's a bunch of mistakes then I'll re-record the whole thing.

There's nothing wrong with a tad bit of editing, but never overdo it. You can edit enough to make someone who honestly sucks sound good, but that's a no-no in my book.

Narrillnezzurh

Sir Clipsalot
Reaction score
The difference comes down to the frequency and nature of edits. If you are just splicing in a take because your existing take wasn't good, then I'm fine with that. When people start splitting up individual bars or even recording each and every note on its own, or set the tempo to 50% and get it that way... sorry, I think that's lame.

Is it the "modern" way of doing things? I guess. I know that the artists I listen to don't need to do that sort of thing to sound good.

It's one thing if their intent is to demonstrate their personal skill, but otherwise it isn't anyone's place to question the artist. You can have your opinions, but the only one who can truly pass judgment on an artist for his art is the artist himself. It isn't "wrong" for someone to edit their parts extensively, or to rely on processing, time-stretching, punch-ins, etc., it just might not be something you want to do yourself.

aturaya

Reaction score
usually if im feeling lazy ill just track it and cut out parts that are supposed to be silent

and i pretty much always feel lazy so

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
The difference comes down to the frequency and nature of edits. If you are just splicing in a take because your existing take wasn't good, then I'm fine with that. When people start splitting up individual bars or even recording each and every note on its own, or set the tempo to 50% and get it that way... sorry, I think that's lame.

Is it the "modern" way of doing things? I guess. I know that the artists I listen to don't need to do that sort of thing to sound good.

I think the half tempo thing is only realistically done by SUPER technical bands, and then only for recording clarity purposes. Its difficult to get the articulation you sometimes need without some slight varispeeding, I imagine. There are gear limitations.

The splicing and cutting you're talking about I think nearly everyone has done since the onset of pro-tools...so my bad for calling you a dick. :lol:

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
I don't, because i think it takes the humanity away from it. But i play in a punk band so i love little squeels and imperfection

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your input.

I guess in the end it's also just a matter of personal preference and what kind of production sound you want.
I myself am still torn and unsure whether or not to start editing rhythm guitars...

Larcher

fpoon
Contributor
Reaction score
For recording purposes, hell yes edit the rythm guitars.

It is very hard to judge a tone when it's not in a mix with other instruments. Alot of the time I get my tone what I want it to sound like to the core, but there will be some frequency cutting after recording other wise there would be frequencies all over the place :lol:

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Thanks, guys!

To give you an idea, here is a short snippet of a part I want to edit:

https://soundcloud.com/larsbauer/short-snippet

Do you think the kind of editing I mentioned (just cutting the end of the stops) will be ok for this? Or would more editing be required?
OR do you think it's fine as is and would not even need editing?

Again, let me ask some more of you guys, what you tihnk of the rhythm guitars on this short clip?
Would you say they need to be edited or are they fine as they are?

I'd appreciate some more opinions on this :)

Latest posts

')