Do you guys always sketch the guitar plan before building?

• Thread starter cesar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
Absolutly. I design the overall body shape on my laptop first, but then I sketch it full sized on poster board, old school like with pencils, straight edge, calipers... etc. At least one section for the body, another section showing the full scale from the nut to the bridge and where the body lines up with it, and lastly a section of the headstock and also a cross section of the neck at the 1st fret. I may wait to add in the pickup and electronic cavity routes til later in the build when I get to that point.

Just helps to visualize everything and make sure it all works before making permanent cuts in the wood.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Definitely, otherwise I wouldn't know what shape to make the neck pocket, etc. Though I did the latest one on my computer and printed it at scale. The principle is the same though.

cesar

Reaction score
Definitely, otherwise I wouldn't know what shape to make the neck pocket, etc. Though I did the latest one on my computer and printed it at scale. The principle is the same though.

which program you used to the model?

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
which program you used to the model?

I use Inkscape, which is a free 2d vector program. Found it pretty easy to use, and will probably use it again.

I've had several people recommend Google Sketchup as well, but haven't tried it yet. It has the advantage of also being able to do 3d models.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
mostly rough sketches/photoshop mockups and cardboard mockups with real dimensions.
I want to start doing some 3D modeling but I don't really have the time right now.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
I do it in CAD. Usually I print it life size before I start cutting wood and sometimes make adjustments, then reprint.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
For anything I do, I doodle. My 'plans' usually fit on a piece of copy paper :lol:
I would probably spend a lot less time doing it if I didn't have a boring desk job.

Then I just freehand draft on MDF for the full size. That becomes a template and I use that for future builds. Gotta use that art degree somehow.

MikeNeal

Reaction score
I design the body, neck and headstock, and pickups and neck pocket in cad and have templates made.

Reaction score
For anything I do, I doodle. My 'plans' usually fit on a piece of copy paper :lol:
I would probably spend a lot less time doing it if I didn't have a boring desk job.

Then I just freehand draft on MDF for the full size. That becomes a template and I use that for future builds. Gotta use that art degree somehow.

I feel your pain...

Killemall1983

Reaction score
Ive made around 140 guitars and never sketched a single one out. Ive only ever made templates. Drawing things out doesnt really have a real benefit to me.

')