Do you have any gear regrets?

• Thread starter Triple-J
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I miss most of the guitars I've sold over the years, but the ones that come to mind most are the following:

Jackson USA KE-1 Marty Friedman (quilted black top w/ a single hum, hardtail kahler)
BC Rich USA 7-string Wave Custom (one of a kind, wrote a lot of cool stuff with it)
ESP/LTD Ninja V (the best playing 6-string V I've ever played, sounded amazing too)
ESP/LTD SC607B (Sold due to finding a MIJ one, turned out this was much better)
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez UV7BK Green Dot (best playing UV I ever had)
Ibanez K7 (while I did recently reaquire the grey one, i still miss the blue)
Carvin DC747
Fernandes Raven Elite (amazing guitar, never saw another one pop up again, i suck :()

Although I miss many many more, I honestly am content with my current lineup so it's not as bad (3 Rico Jr customs, Ibanez RG2228, RG2610E, K7 Blade Grey).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
For the most part, no not really.

When I sold my Nomad to get the Engl Fireball, I did miss it a lot, it had a lot of tones that the Fireball just couldn't get. Although once I got my Invader, I don't miss either amp.

I guess I regret buying my Fretless bass. Picked it up cheap though, but still, I stopped playing bass a long time ago, so it's just sitting there, and nobody really wants to buy it. I hate having gear just sitting there, not being used. I've a lot of guitars, but they pretty much all get played, as I have them in different tunings.

On the whole though, I've very little regrets.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i dont really regret buying guitars that i've sold, as i didnt really need them which is why i sold them (except for my hamer -which i sold to afford my gibson).

i dont miss my wah or MT-2 at all. or the tokai, or the hamer (borrowed it this summer, restrung it, set it up.. it needs love), or the RR with no neck curve :lol:, or the DC727 that needs to get the fuck out of my living room..

I do regret not hitting Darren in the back and stealing his EVO 7 :D

Xtremevillan

im leaving ss.org
Contributor
Reaction score
Regret #1) Ibanez RG550. Holy shit...not for me. At fucking all.
Regret #2) 7 strings.
Regret #3) Caparison Frozen Sky. I love it, but two months after I get it, zimbloth becomes a dealer...now if I try to sell it, it's a 1k loss.

Ze Kink

the black wizards
Reaction score
Honestly, not very many.

Ltd Vb300 - Great guitar, just lacked a string. I got it for super cheap too. If I would've ever needed C standard, this would have been awesome.
Ltd Sc607b - Greatest neck ever, sounded good too. If I only had had enough money to keep it, I'd have kept it. IMO it slayed the Rg1077XL too. The Emg's still weren't my thing though.
Ibanez Rg7421 - Not that great, but it was loads of fun and cheap. Could've been a great project for modding.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't regret buying anything, or selling anything (as I haven't sold anything yet :lol: ), but I regret not buying (all sat in local shops, brand new, for months/years before I had the money and then all disappeared around the same time):

-Squier Strat-7
-Ibanez RG-7620 Black
-Ibanez RG-7621 White

Battousai

Proud SSorg member
Reaction score
i regret selling my Washburn Tb-300
.. it was one of the nicest playing and sounding guitars ive had even with their own washburn pickups.. it also looked awesome.. but had to sell it to fund for my Peavey TripleXXX for which then i still got rid of to get my invader...

dsc03427fa3.jpg

thedownside

Reaction score
i regret selling my Washburn Tb-300
.. it was one of the nicest playing and sounding guitars ive had even with their own washburn pickups.. it also looked awesome..

dsc03427fa3.jpg

that looks like what my murder weapon is based off of, and if it plays anything like that, i understand :) it's my main guitar.

i regret selling my old USA dean ml, was dimeslime in color, played amazing. i'd even take a lower end one now, if only to just hang on the wall. and i had the matching full randall warhead stack to go with it. but i stopped playing for a few years and got rid of it all. :wallbash:

ILdÐÆMcº³

Reaction score
I gave my first guitar to a little kid who wanted to play. I miss it because of sentimental reasons, but I don't really regret it.

IrfaanSE801

Reaction score
My Gibson Gothic Explorer...it was my first expensive guitar I worked and scraped for, and also the best sounding guitar I've ever owned and I sold it to buy christmas presents for people. I thought "Eh, it's production, I can buy it again later" and then they discontinued it.

svart

Far Beyond Metal
Reaction score
the only 6'ers I regret selling were
- Ibanez LA custom 'last cigarette', thing looked damn goofy but the feel was great on that one... also handled low tunings really well.
- Jackson ke-3 transparent blue, still love the kelly shape (hence my ke-7) but never had the enigmatic feel again the transparant blue finish gave me... it also was during a rather positive time in my life so all in all I was an idiot for letting it go...

since my ke-7 is my first and only 7 atm, I'm never gonna sell it so I won't have to regret it :idea:

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
I regret buying an Ibanez RG350 and then compunding the issue by thinking that an RG450 would be better, both complete and utter pieces of crap.

I seriously regret selling my Japanese built Jackson PS-4 and my Dearmond Sevenstar - argh!!!!

arktan

Icnomptenent
Reaction score
I regret buying a Zoom 505 II

:ugh:

but i was young and dumb, now i'm no more young :lol:

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
i regret that i had to sell my old valvestate...somehow i'd like to still have it for some rehearsals (when only the drummer and i do some songwriting) so i wouldnt have to carry the 50kg diezel block around.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
In 2004, I got a Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer for my birthday (back when I was young and stupid and could barely play the pentatonic scale properly) and since I used that through the clean sound on my amp at the time (which had horrible distortion), I would sit. It sounded okay on some settings, but it never had as much gain as it was made out to have, so I would never get enough sustain (made worse by having a strat copy at the time with horrible pickups). I
I really wish I actually knew stuff about geat and asked for at least some kind of Zoom pedal or something else, for just 50 or so dollars more.
I ended up selling the JH-1 in February last year to a friend for 60 bucks, a fair deal since it had some scratches and I think it was 160 bucks new.

Strangely, maybe once day every two months, I find myself thinking about that pedal again and how it was kinda fun to tweak constantly, and be changing the mid scoop frequency in the middle of playing and since I'm still friends with that guy, I might ask him if I can relive the memories and have him bring the pedal around to play around with.
I don't regret selling it though and I wouldn't even buy another one. It's not the best pedal for a clean boost/solo gain boost either, and my I much prefer my stock Boss DS-1 for that purpose.

I also sold my sold my strat copy in December 2006, to that same guy that bought the JH-1.
I would only play it about once a week, since I had (and still do) have a 3 grand Brian Moore Guitars I12000 to use for everyday playing.
I got 100 bucks out of the sale of the strat copy and I would say I regret it a little bit especially since I didn't have to get rid of it for any particular reason, I just wanted the money really, but I don't regret it enough that it ever bugs me on a regular basis.
It had some unique tone to it (not particularly great, but decent enough for a strat copy with 3 single coils) that I sometimes miss:(

cpnhowdy

Reaction score
two things:
1. my boogie Mark III combo amp just before moving to Japan in 96 for $500
2. I had an ESP horizon or mirage? cant remember which that had the Vernon Reid geometric patterns on it. Sold it for $400 to help pay for uni :nuts:

')