Do you listen to music when falling asleep?

• Thread starter hk_golgatha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    sleep
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hk_golgatha

has two first names
Reaction score
Hm. Interesting, especially the music causing you guys to have more vivid dreams and such. Recently Misha popped into one of my dreams because I fell asleep to Periphery :lol:

I used to have the same problem of actively listening to what was playing, but after a while I guess I just got used to it. I think for me the music helps to calm me down after a long day and helps me drift off into some sleepy grooves.

Absolutely agreed on Damnation and Ghost.

The mind is truly a curious thing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ill-Gotten James

Reaction score
Yeah, that's not a good idea for me. When I listen to music I start to analyze too many aspects of it and it just makes the gears start grinding again. Now I always listen to music when I wake up in the morning. It's a great way to kick start my work day.

Skyblue

Reaction score
I wonder by the way- how do you guys listen to music when falling asleep? speakers? earphones?

I still live with my parents so I can't really use speakers, and sleeping with earphones... quite uncomfortable~ Though I don't sleep with music anyway, so I was just wondering how do you guys do it.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
I once put on Telefon Tel Aviv's Immolate Yourself and took a nap. Best nap ever. But I don't think I could really fall asleep while listening to music, unless it's some deep ambient stuff but I still sleep on my side so having anything on my head would be very uncomfortable.

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score

This has been one that I've been falling asleep to lately, it's so chill and relaxing...I just let my mind float away on the music, and before you know it, I'm out like a light.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I actually listen to anything, from Wormed to DSO to Nile, and I still manage to fall asleep. Though in theory, something a little spacey like Enslaved will make me sleep even more quickly. I probably don't even get through the first 4 songs on an album when I listen to music and sleep.

It's kind of a bad habit, because then when I don't have music I spend like an hour tossing and turning before I can sleep.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
I do, every night for the past several years; favorites would be:

Nest - "Retold"
Nest - "Body Pilot"
Deaf Center - "Pale Ravine"
Deaf Center - "Owl Splinters"
Leech - "The Stolen View"

Though those last three you kind of have to be really tired for as there's a few tracks that have loud noises or samples as the songs build. I do passively listen, but I've found that these are really relaxing tracks. There's a select few from these albums that literally FORCE you to just take a deep breath, close your eyes, and center yourself...which tends to help when you're tired and trying to doze off.

Edit: On the VERY OFF chance that anyone has a physical copy of "Retold"....I will pay out my ass to get ahold of it.

hk_golgatha

has two first names
Reaction score
I wonder by the way- how do you guys listen to music when falling asleep? speakers? earphones?

I still live with my parents so I can't really use speakers, and sleeping with earphones... quite uncomfortable~ Though I don't sleep with music anyway, so I was just wondering how do you guys do it.

I just use a little iPod dock type thing. I sleep with my door closed and I'm obviously trying to fall asleep so I don't keep the music playing at a level near loud enough to disturb even my sister next door.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
I just use a little iPod dock type thing. I sleep with my door closed and I'm obviously trying to fall asleep so I don't keep the music playing at a level near loud enough to disturb even my sister next door.

iPhone on the built-in sleep timer. Even with the street noise from directly outside my window, it's surprisingly loud; only need about 30% of the volume before it gets hard to nod off.

hk_golgatha

has two first names
Reaction score
iPhone on the built-in sleep timer. Even with the street noise from directly outside my window, it's surprisingly loud; only need about 30% of the volume before it gets hard to nod off.
Yeah, I don't find that I need a large amount of volume at all. Even when I'm at friends' I'll bring my iPod, pop it down by my pillow and only use about 20% of its volume, if that.
Anything more and I start to actively listen and analyze the music.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
I listen to music when I'm falling asleep almost every night but sometimes I get too involved with thinking about the song/playing/structure/solo/etc. So some nights it actually prevents me from falling asleep. I usually listen to Rush while going to sleep because my girlfriend and I love Rush and she doesn't like it when I play Between The Buried and Me while we're trying to sleep :lol:

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
can usually fall asleep to smooth jazz --norman brown, ronnie jordan, paul hardcastle, david blaimiers etc; but it has to be faint otherwise I start to dissect it musically. also very chill music like the second half of dj shadow's 'endtroducing', Bjork and radiohead's amnesiac.

faint smooth jazz works almost too well. i was close friends with a female couple, and i always thought it were awkward/imposing of me to stay later than midnight even though they didn't mind my company. i usually manage to sneak out after they doze off, and for some reason they didn't like that. so one night, we ended up hanging out past 2am watching some movie in their room. i was reclined on their bed, while one sat on the floor and the other sat at the pc desk. i thought nothing of it since i could stay up way later than either of them, but they found out during a conversation with my then ex about me and smooth jazz. that night they managed to wait until i nodded off. next thing i know, it's 5:30am, i'm stuck as the 'middle spoon' and the tv is softly playing the smooth jazz music choice station... awkward :ugh:..

i didn't want to wake them up, because any movement could risk surface contact with my boner. i like hanging out with them and watching satellite tv. i like playing with their dogs and cooking in their kitchen. i appreciate their friendship and when they come to my shows... i didn't want to ruin all that so i laid there; still, sweating and mortified with a raging boner until i could fall asleep again... i woke up tired four hours later (fully clothed, but my shoes were missing) and as i headed out to run home before practice, Jamie snickered at me as she quipped: "sleep well, dark man?" and Ayslinn chimed in: "see you after practice, larry-kins".

it was weird.

hk_golgatha

has two first names
Reaction score
I listen to music when I'm falling asleep almost every night but sometimes I get too involved with thinking about the song/playing/structure/solo/etc. So some nights it actually prevents me from falling asleep. I usually listen to Rush while going to sleep because my girlfriend and I love Rush and she doesn't like it when I play Between The Buried and Me while we're trying to sleep :lol:
I'm about to fall asleep to Clockwerk Angels. Caravan is playing as I write this :lol:
Yeah, my girl loves when we listen to more laid back music when falling asleep. Rush is always game but similar to your girl and BTBAM, mine does not appreciate trying to sleep to Periphery or Protest the Hero!

hk_golgatha

has two first names
Reaction score
can usually fall asleep to smooth jazz. [...] as i headed out to run home before practice, Jamie snickered at me as she quipped: "sleep well, dark man?" and Ayslinn chimed in: "see you after practice, larry-kins".

it was weird.
I did not at all see that one coming.
Now THAT is a story, my friend. Never expected that turn from the initial comment on jazz :lol:
Glad to see I'm not alone in the falling asleep to jazz on occasion!

')