Do you play the same kind of music you listen to?

• Thread starter leftyguitarjoe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Not as much as I should. I say that because we play atmospheric instrumental metal. Stuff that's written and heavily influenced by post-apocalyptic fiction. I SHOULD listen to more stuff of this kind for finding inspiration. I LOVE ambient, atmospheric music; just as much as I love extreme metal. I spend more time emphasizing atmosphere and feel in Algarothsyum's music than the heaviness. So, I SHOULD listen to more music of that type, but I don't. I know there's plenty of awesome atmospheric stuff out there that I haven't discovered yet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
Not as much as I should. I say that because we play atmospheric instrumental metal. Stuff that's written and heavily influenced by post-apocalyptic fiction. I SHOULD listen to more stuff of this kind for finding inspiration. I LOVE ambient, atmospheric music; just as much as I love extreme metal. I spend more time emphasizing atmosphere and feel in Algarothsyum's music than the heaviness. So, I SHOULD listen to more music of that type, but I don't. I know there's plenty of awesome atmospheric stuff out there that I haven't discovered yet.

See, I think that by not listening to what you play, you are less likely to use the same formula other people use.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
See, I think that by not listening to what you play, you are less likely to use the same formula other people use.

That is true. But at the same time, I don't think I utilize a certain formula when I'm writing new music. Maybe to a small degree, on a subconscious level, but I don't actively think of a formula.

Nyx Erebos

Reaction score
Like many people here I think, I listen to too many different genre to be able to properly play them all. As I'm writting this I'm waiting for the Tchaikovski's violin concerto to finish so I can listen to the new Amon Amarth song, then to some Hiromi Uehara to fall asleep.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
Whatever I listen I play it and I'm influenced by it.
I try to mix a variety of what I'm playing. It always ends up being heavy/brutal and technical. But I don't really focus on that since it is just really natural for me to do that. I borrow stuff from bass players, from classical, jazz, black metal, a lot of prog. These 4 vids can't be the epitome of what I play, but its what I play the most.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I used to listen to the same music I played, until I took a liking for non-metal music. Like you (OP), however, I find myself returning to playing angry and fast metal. Granted, what I do play these days is far more varied than before, since I've learned a good deal more on music theory, and have developed my ear to appreciate more odd-sounding things. Still, though, I still play mostly metal (and some jazz), but I find myself listening to all kinds of music (metal included).

TheBloodstained

Casual music enthusiast
Reaction score
To some extent...

I often play a little Mnemic, Raunchy, Chimaira, Killswitch Engage kinda stuff, however I simply haven't got the skill to play the really technical stuff that I love and listen to. I don't mind though. I like big fat'n'heavy riffs ;)

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
No, and here's why: I listen to good music, I write terrible music.

')