Do you play the same kind of music you listen to?

• Thread starter leftyguitarjoe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
I've been a member of this online project for 5 years now

But I find myself listening to stuff like this

I listened to alot of metal back in 2008 when I joined Malodorous, but my tastes have changed quite a bit. I still find it fun to play fast and angry music, but I only listen to a handful of metal nowadays.

Do you play the same styles you listen to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck

Reaction score
For the moment yes, I'm not in band though, so I write/play whatever I feel like. For instance just this week I spent all day Tuesday listening to some djenty stuff, Vice or Virtue, so I played that sorta stuff when I got home. Then yesterday and part of today I was on a Thrice kick so I was playing lots of melodic hardcore type stuff. And now today I'm in a death metal mood so I was listening to Behemoth and Necrophagist so it made me want to play lots of alternate picking stuff lol

Dayn

Reaction score
...In a way. My music's an amalgam of the best I've heard, and what I would like to hear.

So it's kind of both 'yes' and 'no'. I wouldn't have found my unique style if I hadn't listened to a tonne of music from all styles.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Hm. Good question.

Yes and no. ..

Let me 'splain. I listen to all kinds of music. I try to play all kinds of music.

BUT... what I try hardest to play is something that I have not heard.

mcd

stuff and thangs
Reaction score
For the moment yes, I'm not in band though, so I write/play whatever I feel like. For instance just this week I spent all day Tuesday listening to some djenty stuff, Vice or Virtue, so I played that sorta stuff when I got home. Then yesterday and part of today I was on a Thrice kick so I was playing lots of melodic hardcore type stuff. And now today I'm in a death metal mood so I was listening to Behemoth and Necrophagist so it made me want to play lots of alternate picking stuff lol

I was blasting illusion of safety just yesterday too, and my playing showed when i played yesterday.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
Yes.

Then again, I listen to more music than I play, so my answer was sort of facetious. I play or make progressive metalcore, deathcore, ambient spoken word, and post-hardcore stuff. I listen to a lot more than that, though I'll admit that various forms of metal make up the majority of my iTunes library.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Cool thread idea. For me the answer is no. I tend to only play stuff that is complicated and difficult, but I can't listen to that sort of stuff for long periods. On my iphone I might listen to old school metal, alternative, old new wave, punk, but I'll usually practice Jason Becker stuff, tech death stuff, etc. I'm not in a band now, though. If I was I'd probably be playing more mainstream stuff. Mainly cuz I suck at the stuff I like to play. :lol:

Ninjahat

Reaction score
I like writing chimp spannerish stuff.

It depends, some days I'm in the mood for classical or jazz, some days I feel like Emmure and TAS, some days Obscura or Easycore. All really depends.

I think it's good to listen to a wide variety of music.

Francis978

Reaction score
I am kind of all over the place with writing music

I tend to write guitar riffs in the style of Periphery II (the acrobatic type stuff like Have a Blast and Scarlet) and Veil of Maya in one band. (not really trying to be "djent", just like those type of slide filled climbing fast riffs)
I also have a jazz fusion trio where I am clearly influenced by Allan Holdsworth (in chord voicings and progressions, I can't shred like him).
In Composition, I am influenced by Stephen Sondheim, even though most of my stuff sounds nowhere near his sound.
Then some days I just kick on delay, chorus, reverb etc and just play chords and make ambient stuff.

TheAmercanLow

Reaction score
The band I'm in writes a mix of all the genres we listen to. Everything from math rock to jazz to technical metal stuff.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
Nope not really. Really spend my free time listening to Yes, New york gypsy jazz allstars, BTBAM ect.

Around others its like whitechapel, the contortionist, the dear hunter.

I play a bunch of chugs with neat melodys/leads.

rikomaru

Reaction score
No for me. I tend to listen to music that's well out of my technical and compositional range, so luckily when i fail miserably at interpreting a concept withing that music i stumble upon something either brand new to me or gain a new perspective on something familiar to me.

Of course if i COULD just naturally break out dome dream theater or beethoven i probably would. yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy slowhands XD

peagull

Urwało mi dupę
Reaction score
The project I'm currently in at the minute is very light, it's like we've stripped all the metal away from what we would have written 5 years ago.

So of course, to counter that I've been listening to nothing but metal for the past 6 months.

jesman

ss.org Unusual
Reaction score
I grew up in the "Nu-Metal"-world. :D Nowadays I listen to bands like Periphery, Architects, etc., but also to pretty calm stuff like James Blake. Depending on my mood I also like electronic music.

The music I make myself, however, differs a bit from the music I listen to, I do postrock, you could check it out here:

Indigenous

Indigenous
Reaction score
I listen to a lot of the usual popular bands on here (AAL, Periphery, Meshuggah), but I don't think I can play a single song by them. I spend all my time playing and practicing jazz. Funny enough, I don't listen to jazz quite as much as I do metal.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Yep, i listen mainly to death metal and its subgenres, and play it.

the_heretic_divine

The Fruit Bat
Reaction score
That's a tough one. I play in a prog metal metal band,but am currently starting a Melodeath band...and a BLUEGRASS BAND! So to answer your question....ummm...wait,what was the question?

')