Do you read reviews for your releases?

• Thread starter Larrikin666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I'm really curious about how others feel in this area. I left my band about 18 months ago right after tracking was completed. Things got pretty tense between us after I left, so I ended up washing my hands of the whole situation. I'd occasionally get some information from a member here and there about when everything would be released.

They at least sent me everything when it was finished.

I did not, however, want to read/hear any reviews. 8-9 months after everything has been released, I suddenly had the urge to know what others thought. I found far more reviews than anticipated, but almost all of them were exceedingly positive. The strange thing is....I'm not sure how I feel after reading this feedback. I haven't really touched a guitar since leaving the band, but this makes me want to start again.

Has anyone else ever been in this situation? I'm also curious to hear how other people approach reviews after a release comes out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I haven't been in your situation, but I feel it's very common for us musicians wanting to know what other people think about our music. It wouldn't be unusual that some of your former band fans let you know how much they like the record and tell you go back to the band. I guess many of us as listeners have dreamed of former members of bands we like to go back to that band (Max with Sepultura, for example).

In the real world, this is hard, sometimes impossible. I don't know what kind of issues you had with your former band mates, but it's been quite a while for you to still be angry at them. My best advice for you is to be proud of what you did in that band, and try to keep in mind the good moments. If you still love playing the guitar and making music, maybe it's time for you to think in the present rather than in the past, and start looking to make/join a band.

In my case, this is a weird musical year for me. I had a band and we had been playing for about 7 years. We had some differences last year and this year I simply felt no longer playing for them. We didn't have arguments, fights or anything. We just stopped rehearsing and having contact. Locally, we have released a record and some spare tracks, people still remind us from live shows and festivals, and sometimes they tell me that we should go back and such. But I just don't feel like. I also have a personal project and I've just released a new song, but this was something I was working on since last year and I have no plans releasing more songs for now. To be honest, I've played the guitar 3 times this year...I was more focused in mixing and mastering that song I released.

I feel like not carrying on with music. I know it sounds hard, but I think it's better I take some time to focus on my life. I've always tended to be more focused on music rather than studies or job, and that's kind of going back to me in this time of my life. I'd love to keep making music, playing in a band, but I think it'd be better for me to focus on that part of my life before getting into new musical endeavours.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I try to avoid reviews of anything I've released (musical or otherwise) simply because there are always people out there ready to tear you a new one without any remorse. It's a great way to ruin your day very quickly.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
I haven't been in that exact situation, but something comparable. My band and I had a falling through a few years back and I left on unsavory terms. :squint: I was happy not pursuing any musical activity at that point. 3 months later :: I started to look for other bands but nothing came close to the chemistry and fun I had with my previous band. Later I heard that they had a hard time finding a replacement as well. 6 months later :: One day, due to some circumstances, they called me in for a jam, for old times sake. I went over, started to jam and it took about 3 seconds for the chemistry to be back (and you can tell when it gels and feels right). We pushed our differences aside [and by that I mean talked it over like mature people and apologized for being hard headed in our own ways] and now things have never been better. :agreed: That being said, most cases I know, if people leave on unsavory terms they almost never come back or are never welcomed back !

Depending on how it ended for you, you can see if you want to patch up or move on. But the fact that your release is getting good reviews means that you're doing something right and you should absolutely pick up the axe !!:hbang: :shred:

Review wise, I have not released an album publicly for review, although I have a lot of artwork [painting, fractals, fractal videos, video entries for competitions] and performance videos and some garner feedback.

I agree 100% with TedEH. Depending on how thick skinned you are a bad review or comment can ruin your day / week. At the end of it, at least for me, I've put in my blood sweat and tears and its my baby and to have someone out there just totally rip it to shreds can really ruin my mood. :ugh:

On the upside, a great review can make the day feel like a bed of roses. :rolleyes:

That being said, I think bad, or more importantly honest reviews are necessary for you to grow and become better. Not those snarky one liners or such, but if you can get past the initial disappointment, a decent well written criticism can help you better yourself. Its probably not a good thing if everyone is praising your work all the time. :cool:

well that's my 2 cents ...

rokket2005

Reaction score
I was in an almost identical situation as you, where I left several months before the album came out after everything was recorded. A quick google search seems to indicate that no one ever reviewed that album though.

Reaction score
I read them, but always keep in mind that I make music for myself first and foremost, and not for the public or for the reviewers. Good thing if they like it, that's all.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I try to avoid reviews of anything I've released (musical or otherwise) simply because there are always people out there ready to tear you a new one without any remorse. It's a great way to ruin your day very quickly.

The one, most important, thing being a musician has taught me is "You simply cannot please everyone". Honestly, I haven't had any bad reviews of the first release I did, but then again there are also VERY few reviews, which is worse. Only two on Amazon and six on iTunes, but all 5 stars. Still only *one* review (5 star) of my latest album <sigh>. I know for a fact you simply can't please everyone. I wouldn't even mind a negative review, if I found it baseless I'd just chuckle about it. If it had merit or agreed with any doubts I had about something... well then I'd learn from it!

Seriously, it's like the old saying - opinions are like a$$holes... everybody has one. So what, unless you really feel like you released your magnum opus and all the reviews are 1-2 stars with some harsh words then don't think about it or let any negatives bother you. If you did release your magnum opus and it's met with nothing but negativity either you're a very very niche project, you have a coordinated hate campaign against you, or you just didn't make others feel like you did with the material and need to figure out what to do next.

Rev.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
The negatives that can come from reading reviews:

- less confidence due to negative reviews
- the negative aspects of your music become overinflated to the point where they seem way worse than they are
- you try to correct somebody that doesn't "get" your project (because really this applies to music, art, whatever) and come across as pretentious
- you get angry that somebody doesn't like or "get" your project and you lash out on social media, thinking "That'll show them" and come across as a childish fool (seen it happen a couple of times)
- a very small amount of people can negatively influence the perception of yourself and your art
- you become more concerned with pleasing reviewers rather than yourself, your band mates, and your fans
- you get involved in the ocean of piss that is articles and comment sections on the internet and tear out your hair

The positives of reading reviews:

- money saved on shampoo due to tearing out your hair

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
you try to correct somebody that doesn't "get" your project (because really this applies to music, art, whatever) and come across as pretentious

Soooo totally agree with basically all your points, except for me I dont let any negativity influence me. That said, your point above - one of the most important here. If any of you ever do read a negative review do everything in your power to resist writing back. Just let it go. NOTHING good EVER comes from responding back. Instead you just make it worse and get piled on, I've seen others fall into the trap. Let a fan fight your battles or just let the comment fade into obscurity. Just do not ever reply!!! :nono:

Rev.

GalacticDeath

Reaction score
I take pleasure in reading them. To be honest it's quite an honor to know that someone thought my music to be interesting enough to take some time out of their day to write a review. Whether it's a good review or bad review I always try to read what people think of it.

theFraz

Reaction score
I take pleasure in reading them. To be honest it's quite an honor to know that someone thought my music to be interesting enough to take some time out of their day to write a review. Whether it's a good review or bad review I always try to read what people think of it.
It's the same for me.
plus, is gratifying when reading the review you understand that the writer REALLY understood/enjoyed your music, also in a negative review

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I guess I feel lucky the EP hasn't been bashed yet. That's bound to happen eventually. I suppose the most interesting thing thus far is reading what the reviewers perceive to be our influences. That's something I've read hundreds of times in a review but never thought thought about.

Part of me wants to comment and say "Hey. That band didn't influence me." I have resisted that urge thus far, because I suppose it doesn't really matter.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
I guess I feel lucky the EP hasn't been bashed yet. That's bound to happen eventually. I suppose the most interesting thing thus far is reading what the reviewers perceive to be our influences. That's something I've read hundreds of times in a review but never thought thought about.

Part of me wants to comment and say "Hey. That band didn't influence me." I have resisted that urge thus far, because I suppose it doesn't really matter.

People are gonna hear what they're gonna hear.

I've also done some short idea bits and had friends tell me "it sounds like you're trying to be X" when X is someone I do like but hadn't remotely thought about :lol:

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
People are gonna hear what they're gonna hear.

I've also done some short idea bits and had friends tell me "it sounds like you're trying to be X" when X is someone I do like but hadn't remotely thought about :lol:

Yeah. I think the remaining guys in the band influence this as well when they send it over for review. They call out bands that "influence" us that absolutely do not. They specifically call out Death, Suffocation, and Cannibal Corpse when they send the EP over for review. Personally, the only valid name there is Death, but that's even a stretch. It's more like Death by way of Obscura. I guess that's nitpicking though.

rokket2005

Reaction score
I largely don't wear my influences on my sleeve, and I don't ride trends either, so I think my music is tough to evaluate for most people. It's not difficult or taxing, or too busy to listen to, but I don't think it really sounds like much else. On the other hand, I've had people who play music and supposedly know something about music make completely inane statements about it. One guy in particular who was into "metal" told me that he thought Dark Tranquillity sounded like Disturbed. just total ....ing no

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
I mean, if we're talking metal, most reviewers are terrible writers and critics of music. You tend to either get people who give everything that sounds br00tz a 5/5, or people on the Metal Archives where if it doesn't sound EXACTLY like bands from 20 years ago that invented the genre you're playing, it's "core" garbage. For that reason alone I'd be skeptical. But if it's a reasonable, well-known critic like Kim Kelly or any of the people from Invisible Oranges, Angry Metal Guy, etc., then I'd say their opinions are worth taking into account. I have a metal blog and I always try to be constructive. I've only torn two or three albums a new asshole, and I felt like I had a reason to.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
I read all of reviews of my stuff I'm able to find, and I prefer to read the negative ones. When people point out where I'm wrong I can improve more easily and ultimately create better music. Sometimes their negativity is up to personal preference though, like a review of a death metal album by an indie rock fan. But I do value constructive criticism greatly and like to receive it.

Duosphere

(oYo) Lover
Reaction score
There are two situations=

#1 - Making music for me and my friends.

I read but only in a "having fun" mode.
I know what I like and I know what I want so strangers opinions will never affect my stuff or even me.
Obviously I(we) prefer people liking my(our) stuff but if even the whole world hated my stuff still I won't freaking care and I wouln't change it

#2 - Making music to make money.

I read but only to see if my target crowd is happy cause you know, happy customers means more money in my pockets.I could do some changes to make them happier but never change my stuff personality.

For everything in life there'll always be some who like it, some who hate it and some who don't care ;)

Promit

Reaction score
I do not produce music. I do, however, produce games. When those games go out, I read every last review and many internet comments. This is often an enormously painful process. A negative review at a major site is a huge punch in the gut. But all of that feedback, good and bad, helps me to produce a better product the next time around.

One tip: try to understand what reviewers are thinking and feeling. This is often different from what they are saying.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I do not produce music. I do, however, produce games. [...] This is often an enormously painful process.

As someone who works on both, I think I can say with confidence that people are waaaaaaay more critical (and not in a constructive way) of games than music. :lol:

')