Do you think there are drawbacks to having your own signature line of gear?

• Thread starter Given To Fly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
This was a hard question to phrase in a way that didn't make my eyes roll. But this is what I came up with:

Do you think there are drawbacks to having your own signature line of gear?
If so, what are they?

(This was partly inspired by the "dream endorsement" thread.)

I don't think we need to go over the benefits; we've been doing that in our heads for years. I'm curious to know what you think some potential drawbacks might be? If you are endorsed by a company that will make any piece of gear you want, I imagine there are hefty contractual obligations that go along with the gear. From a professional standpoint, would you be comfortable fulfilling all of those obligations? I know for some members of this forum, this is a reality.

Whether its a reality for you or not, chime in with your thoughts. :idea:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alcoholocaust

Reaction score
If you have been using a particular line of gear for a long time and already have an established relationship with the company, then it can be great for both parties.

The main drawback would be if the product has QC issues, or availability issues - and your name is on it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it's a piece of gear you're really confident with and really is worthy of being your instrument, there shouldn't be a single drawback.

If it's for a check and some glitter, then yeah, I can see plenty of problems.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
You'd be suprised. Some companies have very specific tier systems for their endorsements, while I know of others that have no contracts and it's all purely based on mutual discussions/agreements.

Being at a level with your endorsee where you are offered a signature model would be a great moment. And it would speak highly of the level of respect from both ends. I can't really see any downsides to this arrangement. Unless of course it's a product that cannot provide what you want, or anything you like (but of course, you'd have to ask that artist what motives they have for even being associated with that product from the get go?)

goldsteinat0r

Zib Zob Zabbity
Reaction score
I change my mind about my rig and preferences constantly, but I think I'd have an awesome time designing something that people can enjoy themselves.

If I had to only use that one thing onstage I'd probably get a little antsy though. lol

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The only problem I could see for myself is that I like to try a lot of new things a lot haha

That's literally the only reason why I haven't had a pack of 100 picks made by InTune :lol: I change picks a lot, settle on one, change my mind, change a lot more, settle on another, etc. I'd probably change my preference for whatever reason before I even went through 20 of the 100 picks

tyler_faith_08

Strings of Chaos
Reaction score
If they make what you want and it's reliable, sure thing. However, my taste in tone may change at any time. It may change drastically. I don't want to be in an endorsement that I don't want to be a part of because they make something that I used to like.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Maybe your tastes change or you find something better?

I'm not really sure how endorsement contracts work though, dunno if the artist has an 'out' if they decide they prefer someone/something else.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep in mind guys that having signature gear doesn't exactly mean you're stuck with the same guitar (or other piece of gear) forever.

Just look at how Steve Vai's, Paul Gilbert's, Joe Satriani's, George Lynch's, Stephen Carpenter's, etc. guitars have evolved over the years.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
For me, I envision the following list of drawbacks:
1: The "shiny" factor. I would definitely put something relatively untested or maybe just plain stupid on there just because it's new and shiny and caught my attention. Like some kind of shitty pre-amp or weird tuning system.
2: The "is it different enough?" conundrum. I mean, why bother having a signature guitar if it's just a weird finish or it comes with upgraded pickups? I would probably go out of my way to make it really different and then, well, I'd probably end up hating it. I'm not smart like Alex Wade, who just had LTD/ESP make a classy looking 7-string Strat. It would have some sort of stupid carve or something like that.
3: My favourite guitar for 10 years was the Explorer. Now I can't stand them. What if I all of a sudden decide that I don't like the Ibanez S, PRS Torero, Fender Strat, or whatever guitar I land on at the time I get a signature model? How bad would that be? I have a hard enough time talking myself into loving the guitars I already have.
4: Blackmachine ain't making mass produced signature guitars. Not that I've played one, but man, those guitars are sex.
5: I would invariably be chosen by/choose the next guitar company to go belly-up. The closest I ever came to an endorsement deal ended up in a guitar company bankruptcy. Granted, choosing me as an endorsee at the time probably wouldn't have been the smartest business decision.

tedtan

Reaction score
These could be positive or negative depending on the other variables, but:

• Photo shoots
  • Appearances
  • Only being allowed to use your signature gear in public
  • Quality issues with the company reflecting poorly on you

MoshJosh

Reaction score
I don't think it works this way but it would suck to be endorsed by a company that set strict guide lines as far as what gear you could use on stage like hypothetically if you had a signature fender and fender said well I know you like playing your gibson but if you use it on stage well end your contract

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I don't think it works this way but it would suck to be endorsed by a company that set strict guide lines as far as what gear you could use on stage like hypothetically if you had a signature fender and fender said well I know you like playing your gibson but if you use it on stage well end your contract

I think it does work this way most of the time. Part of the reason a company endorses a player is so their product is seen being used by that person.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
I think it does work this way most of the time. Part of the reason a company endorses a player is so their product is seen being used by that person.

Then I'd say that's the biggest draw back I love all kinds of gear for different reasons and it wouldn't be much fun being limited to one brand IMO

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
I think it'd be difficult if a company decided to expand their product mix width and put pressure on you to support it. Like if a guitar company you loved starting making amps that you hated and told you if you didn't start playing them, you were done as an endorsee. I don't know if companies ever do that...but from a business perspective, I could totally see it happening, especially if the company is revered and/or the endorsement means much more to you than them.

The other drawback I could see is the possibility of your credibility being ruined by endorsing too much, either by your own hand or external pressures. I know that George Lynch is a legend - but I remember a few years ago when you could run your Super V Dean Markleys through your George Lynch Duncans into your ESP Super V and into your George Lynch cable into your George Lynch Randall with its 3 custom George Lynch preamp modules into your George Lynch speaker cable into your George Lynch cabinet with its custom George Lynch speakers. There's a point where people just aren't going to take you seriously anymore, even if you are an authority.

And finally, it'd bother me to no end if I agonized over the details of making a fine and respectable signature model while being surrounded by others who didn't put thought into theirs, or if my model was cast aside when the parent company decided to cash in on whoever was popular.

But, that's just me.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Believe it or not, EBMM just has a gentleman's agreement with their endorsees (JP, for instance).

I think the biggest downfall would be having to create something new for that company. For instance, when JP had TC Electronic come to him wanting him to create a bunch of signature tones for his Dreamscape pedal. On one hand, it might have been exciting to do so, but there's also the issue of, "Well, I've already got the sounds I'm looking for... I get them from the Axe Fx II, and you want me to create six NEW sounds for this pedal AND start using this pedal?"

Anyway, it's a great pedal (my one 'always on' pedal) but I could easily see how this type of thing could be a disaster for a lesser artist...

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
If you and the company spend a lot of time, money, and effort designing it and it doesn't sell, that's a pretty big drawback.

Latest posts

')