Do you use noise gate?

• Thread starter MrPowers
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrPowers

Reaction score
Noise gates seem to be a pretty common thing around here, they are recommended a lot and some players use two or three.

So I've been wondering, am I the only one around here who doesn't use one? I've just never felt it was essential and always corrected the noise and feedback with my playing technique.

So if you don't use a noise gate tell us why. What is the rig and style of music you're playing? Why isn't it necessary for you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
When running certain pedal combos like my fuzz and HOG I use one so I so I don't have to constantly turn down my volume when pausing.

Reaction score
It really depends.
On all of my gig rigs I have 2 just to be safe and to keep anything that will be picked up when the mic is on my amp but my solid state "back up" amps dont really have any because they are fairly quiet.
I thuink if you run active pickups you almost always need them, at least I always did when I ran EMGs

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate using gates. I feel it open when I hit a note, and I actually dislike the completely-silent thing you get when you stop playing. I use it as a reference point to know that the amp is actually on, and to get a rough idea of how loud things are gonna be.

I like simple setups...guitar --> modded TS7 --> Sig:X or Deliverance --> cab.

I play metal, and I know how to mute my strings to avoid unwanted feedback.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
If you're playing live I think everyone should have one, just so that when you're not playing it keeps things quiet. It's just a bit more professional and less annoying. Not a necessity by any means, it's extremely dependent on what you're doing, but a great thing to have.

Reaction score
when using the Peavey XXX and the Ampeg Vh140 I do.
seems like a good question for this thread....
I need an adapter for my Isp Decimator. What's a good one to use?

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh or occasionally I put a couple pedals that get turned on/off at the same time (e.g. delay reverb and chorus) in the loop of my noise clamp and drop the thresh hold to nothing and just use it as a loop pedal...not sure if you would count that but it works lol.

Reaction score
Noise gates seem to be a pretty common thing around here, they are recommended a lot and some players use two or three.

So I've been wondering, am I the only one around here who doesn't use one? I've just never felt it was essential and always corrected the noise and feedback with my playing technique.

So if you don't use a noise gate tell us why. What is the rig and style of music you're playing? Why isn't it necessary for you?

Most if not all professional musicians that play metal of one sort or another into high gain tube heads use some type of noise gating solution. No one except maybe experimental noise hipsters want to listen to squealing high pitched feedback and hiss.

My opinion is either go with ISP Technologies or Rocktron.

http://www.isptechnologies.com/portfolio/decimator-g-string/

Rocktron - HUSH Noise Reduction

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
My recto was super quiet so I never needed a gate. Even when I had an isp I never used it

I will say that some amps, even at stage volumes (such as the Recto) honestly don't need a gate. A bit of hiss in the background, but minimal.

SchfiftyWanSchfifty

Resident Djerkoff
Reaction score
A noise gate is a must for most high gain amps. Especially in small practice spaces where you're right next to your amp. My ns-2 hasn't let me down yet.

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
When i play live i normally do not have to worry about cranking my tube amp high enough to where noise becomes a limiting factor. This is because PA mic'ing is much more common. In a studio environment noise gates would be essential to remove any and all noise on the recordings because of the extreme isolation/recording techniques. But for live use i found it overkill and un-needed.

I owned the king of them all - a stereo mod ISP decimator pro-rack G. It sucked away a little of the give-take like attitude of my amplifier which i really did not like at all. Anyone who plugs straight into their amp will know what i mean. Another problem i noticed was setting the noise gate to how tight it tracked your playing. If you want sustain in your notes then you turn it all the way down. But if you wanted it to track your playing tightly for rhythm then you would need to re-set it for optimum performance. This is not practical for live use and proves they serve their purpose best in the studio where they belong.

TLDR; dont bother with them live - play the music and dont worry about it. Buy the best you can afford for the studio.

mike0

Reaction score
I always use one. It was a must for me back when i ran a boosted 5150, and it just sorta stuck with me ever since. Sorta like a safety net in case things get a little bit too hectic, especially since i don't use too much staccato in my playing, it keeps things under wraps nicely. Haven't even thought of not having one in my chain, though based off some of yous guys results i might give it a try. But i can't promise it'll be pretty

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
TLDR; dont bother with them live - play the music and dont worry about it. Buy the best you can afford for the studio.

Or, buy the best you can afford for the studio/live and use it for the studio and live. :nuts:

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
I play a boosted Triple XXX, and while I dont really NEED to use my NS-2, I still use it. I just like to be sure that if for some reason the venue were playing has a reverb issue or something of the sort, that I wont be getting any feedback. But Its definetely a big help with Pickup noise. I dont really set it too high though, I keep it where my rig still feels natrual

')