Does a Girl have to have similar tastes in music as you?

• Thread starter scottro202
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

So?

• YES, or else I wouldn't consider her.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • to a certain extent

Votes: 56 27.6%
  • Preferred, but not neccesary

Votes: 90 44.3%
  • not at all

Votes: 50 24.6%

• Total voters

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just felt compelled to put my two cents in.

This problem goes both ways, for me anyway. I can't claim I need to date a guy into metal, because ironically enough every boyfriend I have had hasn't been into it at all, haha.

But! Ofcourse I would love that. I know exactly how you guys feel when you want to talk music with them but it's just not possible. It sucks. I get all pumped over some album I got into, or some sick band I just discovered.. and I have to keep all of that excitement to myself :( All i have is the random metal communities I am involved with on the internet hahaha. None of my friends are into it, or they like maybe one or two bands they "used to listen to."

In my experience, any super metal dude I have met has been a complete tool unfortunately. If I could have my cake and eat it too, I would have a boy that could play metal, and/or know a considerable amount on it, look decent, and have something going for them in their lives. Having interests outside of music would be nice as well. A girl can dream right?

And that's a problem with girls in the scene as well. I can count maybe two girls I know that are into GOOD metal and not ugly, or out for attention. Your average serious metalhead lady is not fun to be around at all so I don't blame you guys for looking to date in other places. You kind of have to. Even *I* don't go looking for winners here. And thank god for that. No offense. Hahaha.
:agreed: on all counts, especially the last part. Most "metal" chicks scare the hell out of me :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

katierose

Reaction score
Seriously. I can't count how many horrid metal chicks have graced their presence before my sad eyes. I feel your pain.

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
chicks that i've met who are into metal are usually as greasy as guys who listen to metal

Since most metal is starting to piss me off I'd settle for someone who doesn't listen to metal. It's hot when a girl plays music though

So she just has to be lights and i'd be totally happy

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
Well, I've never had a girlfriend, actually, since I'm pretty shy around girls (Not extremely, though. I can talk to them, but generally they have to initiate the conversation, and even then, it's awkward sometimes.), but it would be cool, I guess. I'm going to guess that not many people have as diverse a taste as me, so I just hope I can meet someone who likes a few bands that I do, but is open-minded enough to at least give some different kinds of music a try. Because, sure, lots of women like Radiohead, but are they willing to listen to, say, Olivier Messiaen? (Incidentally, Radiohead are Messiaen fans themselves.)

Reaction score
If I could have my cake and eat it too, I would have a boy that could play metal, and/or know a considerable amount on it, look decent, and have something going for them in their lives. Having interests outside of music would be nice as well. A girl can dream right?

I think that's a pretty accurate description of most people here. :wavey:

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
My girlfriend is really open minded to it. I was playing Fermented Offal Discharge one day and she said the solo was the coolest thing she ever heard :yesway:. She said Meshuggah sounded like thunder :lol:.

katierose

Reaction score
Well then consider yourselves all my personal internet boyfriends.

My girlfriend is really open minded to it. I was playing Fermented Offal Discharge one day and she said the solo was the coolest thing she ever heard :yesway:. She said Meshuggah sounded like thunder :lol:.

Well shit, if you're gonna play THAT solo I would certainly hope the girl would be impressed.

Fzau

Unleash the proggies
Reaction score
Absolutely not IMO.. musical tastes are not a part of the 'standards' I look for.
However, like I can respect all the other genres, I kind of expect she respects the genres I like too. Sadly enough, there are only so many girls that are not in the hardcore/metal, math and shred scene that actually respect it, so you'll have to somewhat be looking there if you're a guy like me.
If she doesn't like me being in a metal/hardcore band, I don't like her :fawk:
Even more so, I could get seriously pissed off if a girl complains because I play guitar too much.. like you could play guitar too much..
Intrested in what I do is much prefered :D

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I always like playing shows in London, in London there is always the highest collection of good-looking metal girls I've ever seen in one place :agreed:

...in fact, London has lots of good-looking girls full stop!

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
I chose to a certain extent. I like being able to go off on how badass some of the bands I listen to are and not be talking to myself (which is usually the case). I found that I can talk to my mom about prog and power metal.:hbang:

A girl I'm close friends with plays synth and listens to a shit ton of different music and I got her into Coal Chamber and Opeth, so it's pretty cool.

But yeah, it's preferred and if they like other music than I do (emo, screamo, today's rap and hip-hop), but hate the music I listen to it's not going to fly well with me.:noplease: Also, if they can't understand composition to a certain extent than it's a big :nono:.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
my wife hates everything I listen to but she never bitches about it.
she's a Pop diva, top 40 queen:rolleyes:
she let's me listen to my stuff and I let her listen to hers.:agreed:

katierose

Reaction score
^ See, those are the keepers. That's fine if they don't like it, but as long as they don't bitch.

And women not bitching in general? Yeah, good luck with that.

katierose

Reaction score
Keep her. Tell her some girl on the internet said "thank you for your existence."

Fzau

Unleash the proggies
Reaction score
Keep her. Tell her some girl on the internet said "thank you for your existence."
Don't, maybe she'll start bitching about what you are doing with girls on the internet :lol:

(ugh.. it's late, I'm tired, not to mention my humor sucks atm :rolleyes: )

katierose

Reaction score
She's gonna assume I'm some fat greasy nu metal lookin' gal anyway. I'm sure she won't mind.

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
There are way more important things than taste in music, but the more you can bond over the better. My girlfriend is not a musician but her favourite bands are DT, Opeth, and Megadeth and she can appreciate most of my fusion stuff as well. She even enjoyed seeing Al di Meola with me. She draws the line at Allan Holdsworth though. ;)

katierose

Reaction score
There are way more important things than taste in music, but the more you can bond over the better. My girlfriend is not a musician but her favourite bands are DT, Opeth, and Megadeth and she can appreciate most of my fusion stuff as well. She even enjoyed seeing Al di Meola with me. She draws the line at Allan Holdsworth though. ;)

Exactly.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
She doesn't have to like everything i listen too. I listen to a pretty wide spectrum of music, so unless all she likes is the jonas brothers (i don't like girls that young anyway, promise ;)) there will be some overlap between our tastes.

She draws the line at Allan Holdsworth though. ;)

Ouch, that's a deal breaker. Kidding :fawk:

')