Does a Girl have to have similar tastes in music as you?

• Thread starter scottro202
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

So?

• YES, or else I wouldn't consider her.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • to a certain extent

Votes: 56 27.6%
  • Preferred, but not neccesary

Votes: 90 44.3%
  • not at all

Votes: 50 24.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aphelion

Reaction score
Hmmm...it depends what you want from the relationship. I would rather have someone that supported me in my passions even if they didn;t get it...I kinda like girls not having the same taste in music as me as it ensures that i have enough space and something outside of the relationship...

I once dated a girl that had the same music, art and literature tastes as I did...turns out, that's all we had...not the same values, not the same of anything I consider really important to be in a functional relationship

Piro

Reaction score
To a certain extent for sure. Makes gifts easier. For example last time Meshuggah was in town it was her birthday and she loved it. Just makes life easier.

Rambo247

OHH MY GOD!!!
Reaction score
It would be awesome, but she doesn't have to. As long as she likes my band, I think we're good

TheAceOfSpades1

Reaction score
My girl likes everything I listen to. Everything from Tool to Jean Baudin to The Faceless to Jedi Mind Tricks. Pretty rad. :cool:

willyman101

Reaction score
Ridiculous idea to me. My ideal woman if anything should listen to the complete opposite. I don't see rocking out sessions being sexy in any way.

-TheWickerMan-

Reaction score
no way in hell is there gonna be a girl that likes the music i like, theres hardly any guys that like what i like. sure theres those people that like extreme metal but most of those don't like post-rock,jazz or hip-hop

so no, a girl doesn't have to like what i like (out of all of them i prefer extreme metal so i'd say a girl that likes that would be coo). if she likes some of what i like its just like an extra bonus

Fler

Òran Mór
Reaction score
I've seemingly started seeing another musician recently, in fact amusingly to me the first time I have attached myself to another musician. Bit freaky in a way given she is a little older than me and considerably more accomplished seeming she plays and writes professionaly. Although we've similarly open musical interests our focuses are upon different styles so that's refreshing, but it's pretty nice having someone who does actually appreciate the weird stuff she likely wouldn't have come across otherwise, and similarly my reception to what she shows me.

Bit of a change from a time I met a girl who was like an 80% clone of me at the time. That was kinda attractive, but somewhat confusing. I don't like being attached to a mirror , if you get my drift...

lnname

ss.org awesome
Reaction score
when there are too many hot girls with great personalities all want to date me, and i can't decide then i shall start considering music tastes. Until then i'm going to focus on the more important things.

although my current ladyfriend was really impressed that i knew bring me the horizon- i find her metal newbishness so cute!

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
Movies and other activities way more important. When it comes to music, I own headphones if we disagree.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
Well, I'm going out to my girlfriend's tomorrow night (this is a big deal - she lives out of town :(), so I will insist on administering teh br00tal metuhlz, and we shall see what the outcome of this experiment is. I haven't been with her that long. Maybe she will take to it... :ugh:

Soon she'll be the most metal one of the herd

As epic as that would be, I can't see it happening... :(

OK, I never actually got around to it... :noway:

;)

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I'm not in love with my girlfriend because of the music she likes or because she gets all gushy when I play her a song she loves on the acoustic or the piano, but because she dislikes the music I play in my band and still supports it more than anyone.

Reaction score
My missus is ace for the music really. She's obsessed with Meshuggah, Opeth and various progressive bands. She loves extreme metal (more than me!). And she is trained in classical music to a scary level so she helps me understand different approaches to many things. I envy her ability to pickup a sheet of music and play it without even having to really concentrate.

But she really doesn't understand my obsession with jazz. She tells me to turn Holdsworth off all the time, blasphemer. But I guess I'm fair lucky that she's into so much good stuff.

Wiz

Reaction score
ILdÐÆMcº³;1336193 said:
No, I physical attractiveness, not too much disease in her family history, and base intelligence/personality are what I look for.

The Schrutes make thirsty babies.

But seriously, if both playing and listening to certain types of music is a big part of your life, it would be painful to be with a girl who doesn't understand it. I dated a girl who was into Kathy Perry, Pink, Britney Spears and Nickelback. I can tell you that she would turn green when I'd listen to something like the Spiral Architect, Opeth or Aghora... Oh and God forbid you mention that the people on MTV aren't really artists but more like products created and marketed to please a certain part of the teenage crowd.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I used to think yes, but now I'm starting to think that it's kind of cool if she doesn't. I mean chances are I won't like all of it, but you never know what you might get introduced to. :agreed:

Plus, don't you need some kind of point of contention? :lol:

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
it's not a make-it or break-it thing for me, but some overlap is preferred just for the sake of better enjoying *all* time spent together. it would suck to always have to listen to music i can't stand (or have her listen to music she can't stand) every time we're together.

that said, if she is intelligent then chances are that what music she likes will probably be good even if it isn't what i usually listen to. i had one relationship where we actually had a little overlap initially, but we both respected each other's music and both of our musical worlds/preferences became wider for it.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
It helps when you don't have to listen to some musical abomination on the radio when your driving somewhere because your girl loves it and she cant stand your music.

Compromise is important and the less you have to compromise about the better.

')