Does anyone else dislike silly shaped guitars?

• Thread starter DeathMentaL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I never liked the BC Rich Stealth / Jackson Warrior / Ibanez Xiphos or Falchion. Hell, the only BCR I like is the Mockingbird, but that's because I like Explorer style bodies.

Nats

Reaction score
Can't stand any of guitar not shaped like an RG. Call it close minded, I don't care. Even single cut away Gibson types, can't stand them. I just really like double cut away guitars with no weird points or shapes. Same goes for cases. Coffin case? Fucking cheese central. LOL.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone else have a similar mentality when it comes to guitars as me?

well that depends. generally i gravitate towards super strats, and prefer
the aesthetic of the kxk sii for example. but this doesn't exclude other
shapes from being sexy to me. i find the boden 8 extremely sexy as
a whole, but i currently wouldn't use it's design elements in any other
context.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
At first, I only liked Superstrat. Then I began to love the LP shape. Then the Telecaster. Then the Randy Rhoads.

Now there's more shape I love than shapes I dislike. Still haven't got into the headless guitars at all lol

Adam Partridge

Cheese toucher
Reaction score
I like some superstrats eg Schecter, Ibanez S series, but mainly something a little different. It has to look correctly proportioned tho, eg:
Mockingbird - best ever guitar shape IMHO
Mouradian CS74 - highly original...and silly!
MouradianBody.jpg

ESP Forest & variants, especially Antelope
img58188007.jpg

I wouldn't be seen dead playing a V, Les Paul, Tele or RG (to me the pointed lower horn & less pointed upper horn looks odd)...

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
:lol:

Funny you say that.

On Facebook (before I left that hell hole) someone asked me why I have such metal looking 7s and rarely play metal. I just think they're nice looking and playing a nice looking guitar is exciting to me which in turn translates to a better playing experience for me.

What genre do you play?

Now that you're saying that, I do remember being more of a fan of metal-looking shapes when I had a metal band. Later on I joined a (slightly) locally famous alternative rock band. My new bandmates would see me as a reccurring metalhead and would always be reluctant whenever I tried something different for fear of transforming the band into the new Opeth, regardless of what actually had inspired me. And that even if I'm the one who've written their most dancing hit back then, while the singer had written their heaviest song to date before I even joined.

Maybe the idea of distancing myself from that stigma inclined my taste to more traditional guitar shapes. That's not to say I found my reputation offensive, but it just wasn't true. I like lighter genres and metal equally, only I didn't listen to the same stuff they did.

Be it as it may, I have always been a huge fan of Les Pauls and PRS's. Versatility in looks and tone alike:

Zakk-Wylde-by-Ivan-Chopik.jpg

01_jonas_brothers.jpg

MicrobeSS

Reaction score
I like Superstrats, any Vs', I don't care for pointy as f*** guitars like the xiphos but thats just me... And I hate the Les Paul shape.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
I like super strat bodys, and only super strat bodys. unless were talking about strandbergs, their bodies look the best for headless models. thats about it for me though, pretty limited in my tastes haha.

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
Other V's are fine, except those "half" V's with one side longer and other cut out.

An off set/Rhoads is not a half V.

I love Rhoads, super strats, LPS.

Stuff like the BC Rich Draco and the mockingbird are god awful

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally in the past I ONLY owned/played King V style guitars with the occasional RR shape here & there.
Then I got hardcore into ERGs and in the beginning the choice of shapes/colors (Black) were limited.
Now my collection consist mainly of Ibanez RG & Sabers (Yummy MIJ stuff) that I've modded/new bodies ect. Still got a few Vs but not nearly enough.

One guitar shape I could never get into is the LP, they just aren't to comfortable IMO

7stringDemon

Reaction score
To an extent. Some I find very tasteful.

But I'd rather cut my dick off than play one of those fuck ugly "ergonomic" guitars. Ew!

The_Mop

Want to make $60?
Reaction score
I dislike dilly gaped sitars, personally.

Reaction score
I'm okay with pretty much anything that I can play comfortably whilst sitting down.

Can't stand V's of any kind though; RRs, King V's, Flying V's... dumb as hell if you ask me.

wankerness

Reaction score
I'm okay with pretty much anything that I can play comfortably whilst sitting down.

Can't stand V's of any kind though; RRs, King V's, Flying V's... dumb as hell if you ask me.

I agree with this. There are also some that are uncomfortable while standing up due to annoying boxy shape, I could not figure out how to get a chunky flying V to be comfortable to play standing up no matter what I did.

Something new I discovered last week is that I don't like guitars or basses where the right arm is too short so it has a tendency to slide off your leg and land on its neck if you're sitting while playing it if you readjust your position, I just got a bass that's like that and it's driving me nuts :D

KQ5p6lu.jpg

craigny

Winning...duh
Reaction score
I love the explorer shape. It has the built in arm rest that makes it really comfortable to play. I have an EX350 that i love to bust out live, really gets my adrenaline going with the uber metal looking axe. It does seem to neck dive a bit though, not sure if the gibson shape is the same way or not
The Gibson Explorer is probably one of the best balanced instruments out there...they hang nothing like the EX models.

')