Does anyone else dislike silly shaped guitars?

• Thread starter DeathMentaL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
i hate em, cant stand any sort of V, or explorer, pretty much anything bc rich makes besides maybe a mockingbird, other than that thats about as extreme as i get with my guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
I like pointy guitars, as long as there's some balance and restraint to the design. In fact, I started a pointy guitars board on Pinterest some time ago, though mainly as a joke and a counterweight to all the cutesy pictures of cake, shoes, vintage dresses and quilts that place is filled with. :hbang:

Actually, my first idea was to create a huge board consisting solely of photos of turds, but when I told my girlfriend she rolled her eyes so hard I was worried it'd damage her vision permanently. So I shelved that idea...

Edit -- here's my own pointy family: :D
Ds5thvj.jpg

DeathMentaL

Unborn MentaL
Reaction score
I like pointy guitars, as long as there's some balance and restraint to the design. In fact, I started a pointy guitars board on Pinterest some time ago, though mainly as a joke and a counterweight to all the cutesy pictures of cake, shoes, vintage dresses and quilts that place is filled with. :hbang:

Actually, my first idea was to create a huge board consisting solely of photos of turds, but when I told my girlfriend she rolled her eyes so hard I was worried it'd damage her vision permanently. So I shelved that idea...

Edit -- here's my own pointy family: :D
Ds5thvj.jpg

I have found the enemy! :scream:

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
Superstrat is nice as it looks more traditional in the sense of the shape. All my guitars follow that same principle. (Example, i got a Jem77V).

A Jem is way too pointy and modern for me, so you're not as traditional as you think :lol:

I play Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, and PRS CU/SCs. The most pointy things I have are my PRS headstocks. The only other shape I like a lot is the 335.

I just don't feel comfortable having a 'statement' shape guitar, I just like classic lines that look acceptable in the vast majority of bands. I play metal but I'm also involved with pop and folk, so something like an RG/JEM just looks OTT in many finishes. A Les Paul or Tele will work basically everywhere except when you *need* a crazy shape guitar for the image of the band.

I think Explorers look really cool, on Hetfield. But not on me. I just don't think I look cool with a cool guitar.

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
I go thru phases where I am only into "traditional" shapes and then others where I am only into "pointy" shapes.

Robrecht

Overall weird person
Reaction score
I think Explorers look really cool, on Hetfield. But not on me. I just don't think I look cool with a cool guitar.

Dude, you don't need to look cool to be sporting a pointy. I'm the opposite of cool, I'm a 34-year-old bookish nerd who wears cardigans and a corduroy blazer with elbow pads, and not even in a hipster way. Most of the time, I look like a 70's geography teacher. I just feel that if you're gonna go play the electric guitar, with its glorious history of being anti-establishment, subversive, even dangerous, you might as well embrace that aspect. Even if you're really serious about mastering the instrument. I'm tasteful and restrained in most other aspects of life, but not in my choice of electric guitars. :shred: <= god dammit I wish that emoticon was pointier.

(But just to clarify: a beautiful strat-shaped guitar can just as well tickle my fancy.)

Metal_Webb

Needs more strings
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with strats but if everything is the same it's bloody boring. The Mockingbird has to be my favourite "non conventional" shape, so comfy to play.

Mockingbird-Pro-X-PXMGS.jpg

Last edited:

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
depends, i can't stand modern try-hard "metal" looking guitars like warlocks and those weird new ibby's.

but boy, do i love me some:
1964AirlineMontgomeryWard.jpg

and
1965-Mosrite-II--framed.jpg

basically, i love vintage weird shit, but new weird shapes look weird in a bad way.

Don Vito

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with strats but if everything is the same it's bloody boring.
This.

I don't post in the gear sections as much as used to because it's always full of super strat circlejerks.

There's one guy here who always bought extreme shaped 7's and made NGD's for them. I like him.

Stealthtastic

Doesn't play guitar
Reaction score
I dislike basically everything that isn't basically a super strat shape :lol:
Some les pauls I can handle, and as ashamed as I am to admit it, the xiphos.

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
I used to love the dimebag shape/ml and not long ago i loved explores now cant stand anything thats not a superstrat. Never liked the les paul shape always been a strat guy.

xethicx

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, this thread hits home for me.

Once in a while when I want a good laugh Ill hit the BC Rich website to see if theyve managed to come up with even more terrible looking guitars that will likely only be played by guys that look like they only listen to Slayer and Cannibal Corpse. Cmon, you all know exactly what I mean here amirite? Apart from MAYBE the 70s version of the mockingbird, BC Rich has never made a guitar that I would even take as a gift.

I do disagree with the flying V though, to a point (no pun intended). I like SOME flying Vs, its hard not to like the gibson flying V and the explorer. But outside of those shapes there's really nothing else that I like at all.

Dean guitars also have a real knack for making some HORRID looking guitars like that one that is part les paul and part dime guitar, wow... just awful. In fact I dont think I have ever seen a Dean guitar that I liked. Rusty Cooley's guitars look retarded too, its like he goes into the custom shop and says "for the paint job can you put 9000 crappy looking decals on this guitar, I think that would really make it pop".

The Boden is also a shape that makes me dry heave a little to look at. I could keep going but nothing else is coming to mind, however I know there's plenty Im missing.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with strats but if everything is the same it's bloody boring. The Mockingbird if my favourite shape, so comfy to play.

Mockingbird-Pro-X-PXMGS.jpg

:agreed: Mockingbird-esque profiles are a longtime favorite of mine. They look nice and they're quite comfortable. An outward-curved lower horn is an easy way to please me since it's out of the way of my large hands and I prefer my necks positioned at a fairly steep angle (thus it's useful while seated), but I do prefer at least some curves to an abundance of points.

Latest posts

')