Does anyone else dislike silly shaped guitars?

• Thread starter DeathMentaL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GatherTheArsenal

SF2 > Everything
Reaction score
:bowdown:

Another thing I want to mention, is that your guitar can inspire the music you write.

If a certain shape inspires you when you look at it and play on it, then you should by all means ignore what people are going to say/think about it.

For instance; A BC Rich warlock makes me think of darkness/evil, so it usually inspires me to play dark sounding things on it. But when I pick up a RG or something, I think of prog/shred, which bores the crap out of me musically. I'm much more likely to pick up a Warlock because of the mental effect it has on me. I generally associate certain shapes and colors with sounds.

My favourite comment i've read in this entire thread. Well put :yesway: i've always felt the same towards certain shapes. Not necessarily saying that i couldn't write prog-metal on a BC Rich Warlock, or a Beast, it's just that i wouldn't think of writing prog at anypoint in time when i pick up said guitars. And having owned a BC Rich Warlock i can say that I sure as hell wouldn't play blues either, just strictly metal. Likewise with my Jackson Randy Rhoads V, nothing but thrash metal because that's the energy i channel when i pick it up. My Ibanez RG827z is a whole different story on the other hand as well.

For the most part i find myself lacking major interest in any Gibson i've ever seen, Les Paul's, SG's or otherwise. I know they're iconic in history which draws a lot of people in, but i don't really care for their overly rounded shape or for how they sound, or for who used to play one. Likewise with PRS and Fender Stratocasters. Not my cup of tea :noplease:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
lets figure out how far is too far for you folks

1)
aristides-OIO-redmetallic-20133.jpg

2)
img_1783-edit.jpg

3)
DSC_05291-624x1024.jpg

4)
gittler-guitar1.jpg

5)
marl1-875x875.jpg

6)
59804d1359779038-your-favourite-strange-guitar-117715-bf9947d485a6fe1e630787971645f8bf.jpg

lets see how these go down. Would you own any? ... would you burn any?

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
I mostly dig semi-traditional doublecuts(RG, S, Skervesen Lizard, BWGC Double I, PRS Cu) and most singlecuts. I will always have love for the Gibson Explorer and E/2, as far as pointies go... But that is a byproduct of Claudio Sanchez fanboyism. :lol:

Don Vito

Reaction score
My favourite comment i've read in this entire thread. Well put :yesway: i've always felt the same towards certain shapes. Not necessarily saying that i couldn't write prog-metal on a BC Rich Warlock, or a Beast, it's just that i wouldn't think of writing prog at anypoint in time when i pick up said guitars. And having owned a BC Rich Warlock i can say that I sure as hell wouldn't play blues either, just strictly metal. Likewise with my Jackson Randy Rhoads V, nothing but thrash metal because that's the energy i channel when i pick it up. My Ibanez RG827z is a whole different story on the other hand as well.

For the most part i find myself lacking major interest in any Gibson i've ever seen, Les Paul's, SG's or otherwise. I know they're iconic in history which draws a lot of people in, but i don't really care for their overly rounded shape or for how they sound, or for who used to play one. Likewise with PRS and Fender Stratocasters. Not my cup of tea :noplease:
Yeah, I didn't mean to be so blunt with it. I actually like RG's and stuff myself, and my generalization was a little broad. I just wanted to get the point across.

But you get it :yesway:

RevelGTR

Reaction score
I'm completely in love with superstrats. They just work for me. I can never take wild shaped guitars seriously.

Amanita

Reaction score
funny thread. one could think guitars are to be seen with and not played ;)
i used to love the look of Les Pauls. but damn, this things are uncomfortable.
i don't really care for the SG/Viper shape, and it's rather uncomfortable when not on a strap, but i came across Flame Signum Baritone specimen (basically a Viper shape) which played the way that made me fall in love. i now own the bugger :)
i really dislike superstrats in general and RGs in particular. sad, boring, done to death shape if there ever have been one. but if i'd ever come across one that had "the vibe" when played, it could even be swirled and loaded with an FR bridge. i'd not care :)
oh. and always loved how Tom Dumont played ska on Vs and Explorers :D

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
Anything non-strat shaped seems to be subject to a lot of dislike, which baffles me as we're all musicians and should realise taste is entirely subjective ;-) (Not to mention the V and Explorer are virtually as old!)

Currently I own a Maverick X-1 and GKG R-36 which would clearly fit the definition of silly according to some (excuse the photos):

ae4d51c5-c0fc-4d36-8940-50e188c57100_zps0f810ca2.jpg

P1000200-1.jpg

Both sound great, play beautifully, are extremely comfortable........I fail to see how a slightly outre design makes them silly but of course YMMV ^^
Dude the guy from Abnormality has the same 7

JoeChugs

Reaction score
I'm lazy, so my general rule is that if I can't sit and play it I don't want it.

xethicx

Banned
Reaction score
lets figure out how far is too far for you folks

lets see how these go down. Would you own any? ... would you burn any?

Own
sell because I know it's worth a fortune
Own
sell because its probably worth a fortune
Own
Own

If you want me to burn some, post some horrid plywood BC Rich models, those I can get behind burning, but I couldnt burn expensive things lol

TheAmercanLow

Reaction score
Superstrats and Les Paul styles are fine by me. Same with the "fly" style guitars. No v or explorer-esque shapes here though.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I dislike strats/superstrats, despite owning 5, they're just so boring. Plus, almost every other shape I have tried sits better and feels better. I love single cut shapes, be that Tele or LP derived, and most of the established odd shapes. Extended single cuts, usually basses, like Warwick Thumb SC or Tosin's TIL are probably my favourite shape.

BC Rich Stealths are incredible and I found to be almost as comfortable as Strandbergs, but I don't get along with Xiphos. Vs and Explorers sit great most of the time and are great standing up. Mostly I hate strats because no matter what, the cut away gets in the way of my wrist.

tedtan

Reaction score
^ TripperJ

That's Linda Manzer's Picasso guitar she built for jazz guitarist Pat Metheney. Her standard Pat Metheney model 6 string goes for around $32k, so I would guess that a Picasso would set you back between $40k and $50k if you could even get her to build another one, so its ugly, but not cheap.

')