Does anyone else dislike silly shaped guitars?

• Thread starter DeathMentaL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
gittler-guitar1.jpg

?

I think that the word "shape" has lost any meaning or relevance to this, er... instrument.

I don't even think I could burn it, as it doeasn't appear to have any combustible materials in its construction.

But man, look at that fret work, with those nicely rounded fret ends.... Er....

Now, I kinda like th pointy "anti-guitars", but this... this is.. err...

Man, I don't know what the fuck that is...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Heroin

I am wombat
Reaction score
Since some of us are linking "silly" shapes we love...

:wub:

I've always had a huge soft spot for the avenger shape ever since I saw the syn model, I hated everything else though lol.

I can dig some odd shaped guitars just as long as it isn't too pointy :lol:

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
I think that the word "shape" has lost any meaning or relevance to this, er... instrument.

I don't even think I could burn it, as it doeasn't appear to have any combustible materials in its construction.

But man, look at that fret work, with those nicely rounded fret ends.... Er....

Now, I kinda like th pointy "anti-guitars", but this... this is.. err...

Man, I don't know what the fuck that is...

They do come with a detachable plastic neck to play it easier, but I wouldnt touch it with a stick.
I think its something like sparkle guitars if you want to look.

blaaargh

Git Fuuuuuuuuuuucked
Reaction score
Superstrats are boring as fuck. Especially the RG and its 1397651398345983198 clones. I looooooove SGs, Teles, and Firebirds as far as traditional shapes go, and I'm also a big fan of the Iceman and Mockingbird. Not really a fan of any V's other than the original Gibson V, and I probably wouldn't play a lot of the super pointy shapes. Someone earlier posted some vintage weird shapes, which I find more appealing than more modern-looking designs.

wankerness

Reaction score
^ TripperJ

That's Linda Manzer's Picasso guitar she built for jazz guitarist Pat Metheney. Her standard Pat Metheney model 6 string goes for around $32k, so I would guess that a Picasso would set you back between $40k and $50k if you could even get her to build another one, so its ugly, but not cheap.

To add on to this, it looks retarded but he does cool stuff with it, check out his cover of "sound of silence" from a year or two ago.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
I don't like designs that are overly busy, or mis-proportioned. Moser guitars are probably great, am not in that aesthetic. On the other hand I also dislike a lot of the more flowery vintage shapes. Trying too hard. I'll leave ESP's Japanese domestic range out of this for my sanity's sake.

The above is, obviously, incorrect if the right person is playing the right music on it. Prince's guitars are fucking hideous, but they sort of work in context. Ditto a Moser or whatever could work, just not for me.

I've mainly owned double-cuts (super strat, PRS style), a tele, and the only more extreme shape I've owned was a Jackson Kelly - so comfortable seated, horrible once it was strapped on!

protest

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with strats but if everything is the same it's bloody boring. The Mockingbird has to be my favourite "non conventional" shape, so comfy to play.

Mockingbird-Pro-X-PXMGS.jpg

Agreed. I have an EC-1000, a Warlock, and an RGD. I prefer the slightly modernized version of the classic shapes like the ESP take on the LP, and the bevels and horns on the RGD. However, I could never have all strat/super strat guitars. It'd be boring.

I don't like the super crazy shapes, like some of the ones shown in this thread, but I'm a fan of the Bich, and Warlock especially with the widow headstock.

_c330884_image_0.jpg

bc-rich-steve-smyth-signature-08.jpg

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_512383.974_black.jpg

PTI

Reaction score
I was never a fan of the classic Flying V guitar at all, I have played Jackson's, ESP's and BC Rich Style V's and the weight balance is crap, the guitar keeps wanting to fall to the floor headstock first (lets not mention sitting down with them). That said the Mustaine sig Dean sounds really good through the Mesa Dual Rect, I was pleasantly surprised with it. I thought it was going to be crap.

bondmorkret

Reaction score
I've got a rhoads shapes ESP, but these days I barely touch it. Really going off the pointy guitars :(

Futurian

Reaction score
I like the ESP modification versions very much. I'm not big on the over the top crazy design guitars, but ESP's half v is great. Longer, sharper, more comfortable, classy.. The eclipse is nice as well, the cut outs are much more convenient and the groove in the rib section doesn't dig into me like my old Les Paul. However their post-law suit explorer shape is not aesthetically pleasing to me in the slightest bit. :(

If I tweaked a BC Rich a bit I wouldn't mind a Bich, I have a soft spot for BC as I used to gig with a Warlock when I was 14, but it didn't keep the same magic for me over the years. Ironbird is pretty sexy though..

Futurian

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I can't remember what their model is called.. destroyer? But the Ibanez explorer shape I actually like more so than the Gibson Explorer, I just could never get into Ibanez guitars

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone else have a similar mentality when it comes to guitars as me? I for one dislike silly shapes especially the flying V. I'm very much a traditionalist when it comes to guitars. I like a nice clean looking body without all that silly jagger stuff.

Lets hear from you.

This cracked me up.....just depends on what you grew up with, and who influenced you.

To me, the best shapes are a LP and a Dean ML/Washburn Stealth.

To me, a superstrat IS a silly shape...:lol:

morrowcosom

Reaction score
Going from a functionality perspective, non of the shapes bother me as long as I can comfortably set the instrument on my knee.

As far as the appearance, I think if a person has an oddly shaped guitar they better be able to play the hell out of it or they look like an idiot.

Futurian

Reaction score
I won't lie, doing 5 years with a half V makes me hold all other guitars in my lap funny

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Depends on the shape, some are cool or at least don't bother me.

But others I wouldn't touch from the other end of the milky way.

Latest posts

')