Does anyone else get the feeling that you have to "Justify" using a 7 string?

• Thread starter Karl Hungus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7 string necks are more comfortable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz762

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
Six string players who feel that we need to justify using sevens are just jealous that we are playing a more unique instrument :).

I've gotten the whole unprovoked "Korn uses 7s and they suck and you use a 7 so you suck" sort of thing before, and while I didn't need to justify that, it did feel good to just shrug it off and just spout off an improv'd solo.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
D-EJ915 said:
7 string necks are more comfortable.
:agreed:

Recently played a couple of 6 string ibanez guitars ar GC and holy shit... neck was so thin, i overlapped my left hand on it.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Heh, when I was little I knew that electrics weren't made of plastic but I swore that they weren't made out of wood either.

D

Desecrated

I didn´t feel so untill I came to this site, everybody is bashing on korn beacuse they just use the top 2-3 strings, now i hate korn just as much as everybody else, but i defintly feel that i dont deserve to play a 7 string if i dont use sweep picking over all strings and can play everysong that dream theatre written.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I hear you Karl. Even if you never used the 24th fret on the high E string (which I dont, I think that note sounds lame, the highest note I think sounds musical is the 19-20th on E or so), the 7th string gives you more than just 5 added notes, it gives you dozens upon dozens of extra voicings and chords you can do. Like if you want to play on the 8th fret on the B string (G), that's going to be a different sound than the 3rd on the E. Etc x infinity.

Plus, like you said, it also just feels better. Even when I just use the DGCFAD strings of my 7, I still prefer the feel of it. It's more comfortable to me.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
i havent been playing too long (only a year total and a few monthes playing a 7)
but i feel more like id have to justify playing a 6

starsnuffer said:
My usual answer is a shocked look, followed by a "This thing has seven strings? Fuck me, I never noticed. I just bought it because the volume knob goes to 11!". They usually ignore me at that point and I go along my merry way.

-W
:lol:
ill have to try that next time someone makes a comment like that to me

Reaction score
Drew said:
Justify it? Yeah, totally. My favorite method is to beat the shit out of anyone who doesn't like the fact that I play a seven - afterwards, everyone else in the room thinks that I've demonstrated the right to play whatever the fuck I want, so long as I leave them alone. :D
:metal:

Ive never had to justify myself to be honest.

Besides the people that say "Well Ive seen a 12 string!"

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Today, I went to a rehearsal with a band to see If I'll join or not, and they didn't even notice that my guitar had seven strings.

Almost 1 hour later, the bass player looked at my guitar and then did a gesture with his both hands to te other player (5 fingers on one, two on the other). They just liked how heavy it sounds, but no dumb comment... till I arrived home and the "justify" issue came on the msn :lol:

Buzz762

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
Nipples said:
Besides the people that say "Well Ive seen a 12 string!"

Like this?

arctopus1.jpg

Reaction score
Nah. Its just the non-guitarists/musicians that say that. (Referring to a "normal"12 stringer)

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't feel the need to justify it, and honestly, I don't use all 7 strings, I could probably get away with a downtuned 6. What I like is being able to play something in B, then go to E without switching guitars, or retuning. I do have more than one guitar, but it's just easier for me. That's not to say I don't have the desire to use all 7, but I just feel my playing isn't really at a level where I can really noodle away and do really cool shit.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
I "Justdefy" it by playing kick ass metal on it to the point that the 'questioning body' goes 'Fuck, ok you can play a 7-string'. :shred:

Seriously though, I will rag on other local 7-string players that don't go beyond the 5th fret. Because those type of idiot bands give us good 7-string players a bad name.

I play 7's cuz they're easier to play all sorts of songs on them. And I make good use of the fretboard, although I don't play solos and go all the way up the neck, I'll still use a D chord with low B stuff in the mix (you can't do that on a detuned 6).

EDIT:
.jason. said:
4 pages and no mention of JUSTDEFY!!! :lol: regor would be sad...

LMAO Look at the post times!!

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Wow, I feel sorry for you guys. Where I live, people rarely notice that it's a 7, but when they do, it usually goes something like this:

THEM: "Is that a 7-string?"
ME: "Yeah."
THEM: "Nice :agreed: "

i_love_tazzus

Out For Lunch
Reaction score
Mostly, I've done my justifying online...

One guy who's studying journalism thought that it was just an excuse to sound more 'evil'. Excuse me? Then, I politely told him about other players that have used seven strings, like George Van Eps and Matthew Grasso. He probably does know a bit about it... but most likely did the typical reporter bit of probing for an answer. Still... I'd have expected the fella to know more about it, instead of playing dumb. I mean, these guys are supposed to be research mavens, right?

Anyway, I don't mean to rag on him. I'm sure he means well, but still... I expected to be asked better questions, like how the 7th is useful for certain chord voicings, etc.

Perhaps it's just me. :evil:

jarrydn

G'day mate D:
Reaction score
This is really interesting.

Over here in Australia (well, Perth at least), there is nothing but 7 string tolerance. There are more and more local bands playing 7 strings, making this whole issue a moot point.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I usually get the "spock one raised eybrow look" :spock: and then the "Ok show me why you would want to play that"?
Once I play a few things for them (not Korn type of things but more like 7 string arps) and running some scales in the "normal" register and continuing down to the added lower 4th, then the prerequisite "Nevermore" riffs and I usually get the "Damn that sounds way cool, let me see that!"
"How long did it take you to get used to it? etc etc.
I've got a friend who is a ripping guitar player that really questioned why on earth I would want one of these. I let him borrow my M-207 for a week and when I went to his house to pick it up he put on "AS I AM" and played it for me thru his rig dead on all the way thru.
suffice to say "He has seen the light" :hbang:

Latest posts

')