Does anyone here NOT like old MetallicA?

• Thread starter Regor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kane

Dark Scribe
Reaction score
Metallica was definately influential, but even Death Metal was around at the same time... When Killem All came out, a young Chuck Schuldiner was already laying the basics for his brand of Death Metal. Several other bands sprouted up around this time around the world. Metallica just played a more accessible, easier-to-listen to style of metal. It's hevay without being extreme.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think death metal really comes in to play here, though thats the thing.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
I liked Metallica up to Justice But as I got more into Megadeth I deemed them all to be turds of the first degree... As I learned a lot of early megadeth stuff it became quite appearent who wrote a large potion of metallicas riffs (not only on Kill em all but ride the lightning and Puppets)
4 Horsemen < Dave
Leper Messiah< Dave

Oh and someone needs to take away Kirks wa wa pedal can the guy play a solo without it?

Kane

Dark Scribe
Reaction score
HateBreeder said:
I dont think death metal really comes in to play here, though thats the thing.

It comes into play when people start making silly claims, like there would be no Devin Townsend without Metallica. I was just giving one example of how Metallica wasn't responsible for the onset of heavier music, as was indicated, and was just part of a different strain of metal. But that's cool.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, if he was influenced by them, he wouldnt have sounded the same if there wasnt a metallica (Hypothetical of course, i dont know who he was influenced by). I dont think its a 'onset of heavier music' but a 'would devin have his sound' kinda thing.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Vegetta said:
Oh and someone needs to take away Kirks wa wa pedal can the guy play a solo without it?

I happen to be a big fan of the wah-wah pedal. And I think less than 1/3 of Kirk's solos have wah-wah in them.

Whereas Sevendust, one of my favorite bands, has wah-wah in at least half of their solos (if not more) -- and I'm like "MORE WAH-WAH!! MOREEEEE!!!"

Love the wah-wah.

ecalcagnino

\mm/
Contributor
Reaction score
I usually don't chime in on these threads but I felt like it this time.

In my extremely humble opinion, Metallica are like the Elvis, Beatles, the Stones, Sabbath, Zep, Duran Duran, Nirvana and Eminem of their times. They made what they were influenced by (Venom, Angelwitch, etc.) more accessable to the "mainstream".

Not to say that any of the people I mentioned were or are the best at what they do or were even all that original. There are sparks of amazing brilliance in all of them. Mostly, just sparks though. If you strip any labels or nostalgia from any of them they really wouldn't stand out other than the fact that they were the "firsts" by mainstream standards.

Now, with me being an old bastard, I love early Metallica. BUT, aside from MoP which is killer in its own right, it's for nostalgia. I bought Kill 'em all new on vinyl... the week it was released... on Music for Nations... (my bones are creaking, hang on... :ugh: ) What I am getting at is that I remember my mom busting 8 of us getting uhhh, altered in my room while Creeping Death was blaring donning my METAL UP YOUR ASS shirt. That is the kind of thing old Metallica brings back for me, fun old memories. Justice was very good as well but after that one their internal renaissance didn't sit with my taste. Or maybe it was that the guys who were wearing Poison tees 3 mos. prior were now singing along to Enter Blandman. (exit light, enter night?!?! nice...)

Wow, this is long winded, sorry. Let me end by saying that James' playing was very influential because of his technique and the timing of my interest in playing things other than Zep. It wasn't Metallica that was an influence, except MoP and some of AJFA. Also, Kirk sucks dying rhinoceros ass and has been the most overrated player to come along since Jimmy Page. Oh, SNAP, he did NOT! :lol: I guess I lost my Crybaby and pentatonic endorsements now.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
desertdweller said:
Ocean Machine is an amazing work.

I slightly prefer Terria, but I'm with you. "Life" could be a heavier U2, and the second half of that album especially is just brilliant. In particular, "Regulator" is just the weirdest, bizarrest, catchiest metal tune I've ever heard.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
ecalcagnino said:
Also, Kirk sucks dying rhinoceros ass and has been the most overrated player to come along since Jimmy Page. Oh, SNAP, he did NOT! :lol: I guess I lost my Crybaby and pentatonic endorsements now.

I'd say Jimi Hendrix is the most overrated player to come along since Jimmy Page (well, about the same time as Jimmy Page actually). I love Jimi Hendrix's music (Foxy Lady, Purple Haze, Voodoo Children, Freedomm, etc.), but he's not the "best" at anything and he's not NEARLY the god several million people think he is. So what if he played a right-handed guitar upside down? I don't see what's so impressive about that. I think that any headliner on G3 has more skill than Hendrix. I like the guy, but I don't buy into the hype.

I agree that Kirk is overrated, but I wouldn't say he sucks (I don't think Jimmy Page sucks either, although Page has always been a pretty sloppy player).

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Naren said:
I'd say Jimi Hendrix is the most overrated player to come along since Jimmy Page (well, about the same time as Jimmy Page actually). I love Jimi Hendrix's music (Foxy Lady, Purple Haze, Voodoo Children, Freedomm, etc.), but he's not the "best" at anything and he's not NEARLY the god several million people think he is. So what if he played a right-handed guitar upside down? I don't see what's so impressive about that. I think that any headliner on G3 has more skill than Hendrix. I like the guy, but I don't buy into the hype.

I agree that Kirk is overrated, but I wouldn't say he sucks (I don't think Jimmy Page sucks either, although Page has always been a pretty sloppy player).

I agree that Hendrix is overrated by far, but I also can't fault him for that - I mean, these days, not even Hewndrix could live up to the Hendrix mythose. He's a great guitarist - innovative, technically light years away from most of his peers in his day, and when you get right down to it, pound for pound the best straight-up blues player I've ever heard (the "Jimi: Blues" Alan Douglas compilation is ridiculous, his version of "Born under a Bad Sign" is basically all you need to know about modern blues, IMO). But, he's been built up so far by the general public since his death that no guitarist could possibly be as good as everyone expects him to be.

It was a real eye-opener when I started trying to learn his music, and was shocked to find I could actually play it.

-D

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Drew said:
I agree that Hendrix is overrated by far, but I also can't fault him for that - I mean, these days, not even Hewndrix could live up to the Hendrix mythose. He's a great guitarist - innovative, technically light years away from most of his peers in his day, and when you get right down to it, pound for pound the best straight-up blues player I've ever heard (the "Jimi: Blues" Alan Douglas compilation is ridiculous, his version of "Born under a Bad Sign" is basically all you need to know about modern blues, IMO). But, he's been built up so far by the general public since his death that no guitarist could possibly be as good as everyone expects him to be.

It was a real eye-opener when I started trying to learn his music, and was shocked to find I could actually play it.

-D

Ha ha. That's exactly what I meant. I don't fault him for anything. It's not like Hendrix himself was saying "I'm a guitar god. Worship me." It's his crazy fans and generations of hippies afterwards who said that and keep saying that. I love his stuff. I learned quite a while back how to play several of his songs, such as Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, and Voodoo Child (Slight Return). I can play with no difficulty and sing it too. Great songs, but the greatest guitarist ever? This guitar god? Not even close, but a good song-writer and musician who I personally like and have always liked.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Drew said:
Hendrix mythose. He's a great guitarist - innovative, technically light years away from most of his peers in his day, and when you get right down to it, pound for pound the best straight-up blues player I've ever heard
-D

Clearly sir, you need to listen to some SRV.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chris said:
SRV Live in Montreaux. Great DVD, awesome performance. SRV is so determined to deliver the blues straight up. :yesway:

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Naren said:
I happen to be a big fan of the wah-wah pedal. And I think less than 1/3 of Kirk's solos have wah-wah in them.

Whereas Sevendust, one of my favorite bands, has wah-wah in at least half of their solos (if not more) -- and I'm like "MORE WAH-WAH!! MOREEEEE!!!"

Love the wah-wah.

I haven't heard Hammett play anything without a wah in ages. The nail in the coffin for me was in that live video they did a few years ago where he wah's up the opening solo in Fade to Black. :noway:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chris said:

Clearly, sir, you need to listen to this CD. ;) I've got I believe all of Vaughan's albums, although I can't find my copy of "Couldn't Stand the Weather" for the life of me these days, I might need to re-purchase that one again. I fuckin' love SRV, his cover of "Little Wing" is one of the best instrumental performances I'vce ever heard, he was a great blues singler, and at least early in his career when he was playing predominantly straight blues, a phenominal blues player worthy of all the accolades heaped upon him. I still stand by my assertation Hendrix in a straight blues context is, in my taste of blues, anyway, the best blues player I've ever heard.

SRV... I mean, the guy's amazing, but I think it's a pity that ever since he broke out, Texas blues has been the only really accepted "modern" blues sound out there, and that if you walk into a bar to hear some blues, odds are you'll see a SRV clone up on stage with a strat (if, say, the guys in the band are younger than 40). He's a great player, hugely inspirational, but ever since "Texas Flood" was released, Hendrix's funked-up Chicago blues on acid sound has been largely bypassed. I miss that - he was doing somwe SERIOUSLY fresh things in the late 60's while holding on firmly to his delta and chicago musical roots, and it's since become somewhat of an evolutionary dead end in the history of the blues.

Anyway, c'mon Chris, I told you I got my start as a guitarist playing blues, of course i know my Stevie Ray. :fawk:

-D

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Chris said:
I haven't heard Hammett play anything without a wah in ages. The nail in the coffin for me was in that live video they did a few years ago where he wah's up the opening solo in Fade to Black. :noway:

Oo... that's bad... wahing the opening solo to Fade In Black... :noplease:

I love SRV. He used heavy gauge strings just like me (I used to use 14 gauge flatwounds for quite a while. Now I'm down to regular style 12's). But, I like Hendrix better than SRV personally.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
12's in 440 in standard tuning? Your truss rod hates you. :D

I run 13's on my C1, but I drop it a fullstep.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
12's on my acosutic... You have to, though. Lately I've been improvising on that one a lot, and I actually like how UI phrase on the heavier strings - I don't try to overplay as much. I'm working up to at least 10's or 11's I think, because of it. :)

')