Does anyone know how to read Guitar Notation?

• Thread starter Guitarslammer110
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarslammer110

Reaction score
I have just baught a mettalica tab book and don't know how to read the notations does anyone know where to begin?

Rock On !:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarman700

Reaction score
Tab 101.
The number is the fret, the I---------------------I is the string
IE: an E5 power chord:
A I---2----------------I
E I---0----------------I
This tells you to play the E and A strings, E open and A on the second fret.
are there any other symbols in the book?
Symbols like pm ( palm mute ) are commonly used in tabs.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It doesn't have a key to the symbols in the back of the book?

Guitarman700

Reaction score
Reaction score
If this is the same Metallica book I saw in a used shop, it has no guitar tab. It's all standard notation. You're just going to have to do some serious googling, or pick up a book. It's probably something you will want to learn eventually anyways.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
FACE in the space, and Every Good Boy Does Fine on the line.

Out of all of the guitar books, I have, I only have three in standard notation without tab- a classical guitar etude, a Django solo collection, and a Led Zeppelin book. Without the tabs, you'll have to do some work figuring out the proper fingering and position, unless there are roman numerals for position (i.e. IV for fourth position) and tiny arabic numbers for the left hand fingering.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
FACE in the space, and Every Good Boy Does Fine on the line.

Out of all of the guitar books, I have, I only have three in standard notation without tab- a classical guitar etude, a Django solo collection, and a Led Zeppelin book. Without the tabs, you'll have to do some work figuring out the proper fingering and position, unless there are roman numerals for position (i.e. IV for fourth position) and tiny arabic numbers for the left hand fingering.

Every good boy deserves fudge :p

That was always my grievance with 'standard' notation, the lack of position denotated. Tab is much better suited to fretted instruments, unless you are a classical snob and like to argue. :lol:

')