Does anyone on SSO like pop music?

• Thread starter JosephAOI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FantasyMetal

Reaction score
Love some of the 80's pop. Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel (I'm looking at you "Sledgehammer"), Men At Work (yeah "Land Down Under"), Michael Jackson, Huey Lewis and the News, etc.

Newer pop music I just can't seem to get into. It seems to lack creativity whenever I hear it on the radio.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
It depends. Music that appeals to a larger audience, and is therefore more popular, I often like. Music that is bland because it has specifically been generated to appeal to a larger audience, I hate. I think it's pretty easy to tell the difference in many cases. And I have zero respect for pop musicians that don't write their own stuff. I really couldn't care less if Rhianna can sing well. She's not writing her own stuff, and she's being used as a tool to get a bunch of old dudes rich. That isn't music. That's business.

broj15

Reaction score
I like a lot of 80's synth-y stuff, though I'm not sure you could call it pop music. I like Tears for Fears, Depeche mode, Eurythmics, thompson twins, etc. but I prefer the dark sounding bands using synths from the era like Depeche mode, New Order, and Bauhaus. Every now and then I'll catch myself enjoying a Taylor Swift song. She has a great voice and can write really catchy hooks (AFAIK she write most of her material) and can interact with the crowd better than anyone else on the same level as her.

If you like Owl City you should check the band he jacked his sound from ;)

rokket2005

Reaction score
It's all about late Genesis

Interesting story about this song, for 20 years I thought the chorus was, "She sees the hat and (she's) busy for the top shelf, she reaches in and whacks my pony apart."

It never occurred to me that the song wasn't about shopping and hand jobs. :ugh:

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Very 80's pop

Duran Duran
Pet Shop Boys
A-Ha
Prince
Madonna
Michael Jackson
Metallica
Roxette
Tears For Fears
Kate Bush
Mike Oldfield
Stevie Wonder
Nena
Seal
Shinead O'Connor

DXL

Reaction score
Very 80's pop

Duran Duran
Pet Shop Boys
A-Ha
Prince
Madonna
Michael Jackson
Metallica
Roxette
Tears For Fears
Kate Bush
Mike Oldfield
Stevie Wonder
Nena
Seal
Shinead O'Connor

...what?

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
It depends. Music that appeals to a larger audience, and is therefore more popular, I often like.
What artist/group nowadays would you say matches that description? I wouldn't mind some of that. Would Pharrel Williams count? - i think he's created some popular music and kept his integrity as an artist (thinking back to his early '00 N.E.R.D and big time producer days with the Neptunes).

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Apparently the stuff that I posted (Owl City, The Ready Set and Passion Pit for those who don't want to look back) is actually "formulated psuedo indie music for guys like you that want to feel like they fit in" and "it sounds terrible".

Now, I'm not complaining about neg rep here, but I am genuinely interested in something this made me think about. Do you think people like this and probably quite a few others genuinely dislike pop music? Or do you think people like this just hate pop music on principle that it's what aforementioned user said or because it's mindless or soulless or whatever, or even because it's so popular and they don't want to like the same stuff everyone else does?

I feel like most people like the way pop sounds because it is a pretty catered genre to try to appeal to as many people as possible but they force themselves to not like it on principle

wankerness

Reaction score
I like sorta quirky stuff with female singers and by and large anything good like that is pop music. By pop music, I mean it is part of that genre, not that it's actually POPULAR (pop music is kind of like prog music where a lot of people like to get into pedantic fights about how pop = popular and prog must be progressive). Stuff like Imogen Heap, early/mid-period Tori Amos, School of Seven Bells, Goldfrapp, early Fiona Apple, Nicole Atkins, etc is about as good as it gets for me! As far as semi-current popular pop artists go I kinda like one of the two Lordi songs that is inescapable, and I really liked Lady Gaga's "Fame Monster" EP (and neither of her LPs!), and a large number of Katy Perry songs sound inexplicably good to me.

Murmel

Reaction score
What artist/group nowadays would you say matches that description? I wouldn't mind some of that. Would Pharrel Williams count? - i think he's created some popular music and kept his integrity as an artist (thinking back to his early '00 N.E.R.D and big time producer days with the Neptunes).

Pharrell is awesome :yesway:
Apparently the stuff that I posted (Owl City, The Ready Set and Passion Pit for those who don't want to look back) is actually "formulated psuedo indie music for guys like you that want to feel like they fit in" and "it sounds terrible".

Now, I'm not complaining about neg rep here, but I am genuinely interested in something this made me think about. Do you think people like this and probably quite a few others genuinely dislike pop music? Or do you think people like this just hate pop music on principle that it's what aforementioned user said or because it's mindless or soulless or whatever, or even because it's so popular and they don't want to like the same stuff everyone else does?

I feel like most people like the way pop sounds because it is a pretty catered genre to try to appeal to as many people as possible but they force themselves to not like it on principle
Don't feel bad, you're not going to be able to post anything mainstream pop on this forum without some insecure asshat negging you.
Trust me, I've attempted both Katy Perry and One Direction threads :lol:

Edit: Whaddya know, I got some red for my previous post in this thread too :lol:

chinnybob

Reaction score
"Pop" seems like a pretty broad term to me... I don't listen to the radio, but a lot of the stuff I figure is on there, e.g. Katy Perry, Lady Gaga etc. holds no interest to me. It's not bad or anything but I just find it a little formulaic and uninteresting. People have already mentioned Chvrches and Lorde (Pure Heroine is on of the best albums I've heard in years in any genre). Recently I've been listening to The Naked And Famous, Susanne Sundfor, Dirty Loops, Fenech-Soler etc. Charlie Simpson is my hero and his solo stuff is somewhat making up for the lack of a new Fightstar album. Also excited for Electric Youth's album when it finally comes out!

twizza

Social Assassin
Reaction score
Are The Cars pop? I like The Cars. They have some sweet songs. And then Weezer copied it.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Very 80's pop

Duran Duran
Pet Shop Boys
A-Ha
Prince
Madonna
Michael Jackson
Metallica
Roxette
Tears For Fears
Kate Bush
Mike Oldfield
Stevie Wonder
Nena
Seal
Shinead O'Connor

:lol::lol::lol: +rep for this! :yesway:

I like 80s pop like Eurythmics. Not a lot of it, but there are some groups/artists that I'd listen to and enjoy. Whitney Houston pre-crack/cocaine days were great. I do like the song Beautiful by Christina Aguilera. Gives me feels on my dark days and makes me feel better. The only modern pop group I really dig would be The Lonely Island, because they make me laugh so damn hard. :lol:

Latest posts

')