Does placement of electronics cavity matter?

• Thread starter guitarneeraj
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarneeraj

WindMarp
Reaction score
So I was wondering about why guitar electronics cavities in general are routed the way they are. Is there a specific logic as to why some guitars are front/back routed, and any specific reasons as to why it's shaped the way it is ? Besides being useful for live playing, I can't think of a reason why a studio instrument would *need* to have all the knobs placed near the pick guard.
For example, would it make any difference if the cavity in a Les Paul style guitar was behind the upper arch and had a thin cavity along the border to lead to the output jack ?
:scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sk3ks1s

Djeff
Reaction score
Doesn't matter one bit, actually.

Are you insane?
I can't think of one single factor other that knob placing that affects your tone as much this.
Having your pots at the upper horn will give you much more bottom end.
If you want a much brighter sound, keep them around the traditional area.
For a mid boost, try putting them on the back of the neck around the 6th fret. But for an overall 'breathy' sound and the best natural acoustics, I usually mount the electronics to a table then just run all the wires to the guitar.
Oh, and obviously use marshmallows for knobs. You are using marshmallows, right?

file.php

Seriously though, put 'em wherever the hell you want.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
The placement of the electronics won't matter but the routing will affect the tone slightly. Any time large pieces of wood are removed from a guitar the resonance will be affected. Ola Strandberg purposely routed Misha's Strandberg with a larger control cavity for extra resonance.

Quoted from the NGD thread:

"My Inital Thoughts:
Incredibly lightweight and one of the most acoustically resonant solid body guitars i have ever heard. I had asked for a slightly enlarged control cavity to act as a chamber, and i think this helps. The Walnut top is absolutely gorgeous and yet allows the guitar to maintain a somewhat understated look for as unique a design it has, and the Birdseye fretboard contrasts the body beautifully."

It won't matter THAT much but it will slightly affect it.

You can still pretty much put it wherever you want. :yesway:

Necromagnon

Reaction score
Do you really think it will affect?

I know this is my opinion and it's very personnal, and some doesn't agree, but... Can we count everything that will change the sound of a guitar? It begins with the pickup, the neck construction, cables used to plug the guitar, the amp/tubes/cabinet, the room where you play, the strings, the fingers of the player, and so on... Even the impact of wood on the sound of an instrument really can't be scientifically quantified, so the effect of electronic cavity...

For my part, I seriously don't give a f*** about this. I just make a cavity that looks nice with the curves of the body, that allows to place everything and allows to solder and work on electronics easily, etc.

The only matter for positioning is about knobs.

CruzDrum

Reaction score
hes talking about the size of the cavity you can route it in a way that it has the same effect as chambering the body

Latest posts

')