Does Removing the tone pot affect the sound??

• Thread starter shoemaker27
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shoemaker27

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have a 7620, with a pair of dimarzios (blaze custom & air norton) I never use the tone pot, If I disconnect the cables affect the sound??
Its better or worse?
What are your opinions regarding this.

Thanks for your post!!!:shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
My friend did it to my guitar. It sounded like it had more highs and more gain from it. It did sound different when I picked it up again but I got used to it after. It was a good change though so, I like how it came out. Im not sure how exactly you do it. I am assuming you flip the tone knob all the way first and then clip the wiring or w/e.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
yes, it will change. the tone pot, and particularly the capacitor that is attached to it, bleeds off some of the upper frequencies. you can change how much bleeds off by changing the value of the capacitor, or the resistance of the tone pot. or, you can remove it all together.

personally, i like having one, so that i can shape my sound. some people like the 'open' sound of not having one there. as far as famous people, i know Paul Gilbert went tone-pot-less.

strychnine said:
Im not sure how exactly you do it. I am assuming you flip the tone knob all the way first and then clip the wiring or w/e.
heh, you don't need to worry about that. just remove it from the signal path, and you'll be set.

here's a schematic you may find helpful.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/2hum_vol_5way-w-split.html

also, here's the wiring for Paul Gilbert's guitar. it seems as though he's got a capacitor in there afterall, to bleed off some of the higher frequencies. hmm, but it's on the volume. that's interesting.
http://ibanez.com/wiring/wire.asp?y=1995&w=PGM30

4th edit: ok, so i think i might be wrong about the cap on the volume, most other models seem to have them, though none of my guitars seem to :lol:

knuckle_head

Reaction score
Having a pot of any sort bleeds highs - unless it is one of those no-load pots that makes a hard connect at full volume.

Simplest way to pull it out of the chain is to snip the capacitor lead that is connected to your volume knob. Desolder if you think you might want to change it back. Be sure to shrink-tube or electrical tape the cap lead - no unnecessary accidents.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Leon said:
also, here's the wiring for Paul Gilbert's guitar. it seems as though he's got a capacitor in there afterall, to bleed off some of the higher frequencies. hmm, but it's on the volume. that's interesting.
http://ibanez.com/wiring/wire.asp?y=1995&w=PGM30

That looks like a high pass filter mod. Basically it stops you losing the high frequencies as you turn the volume down. The JS series have it too.

')