Does The EMG 707 Neck PU Suck THAT Bad?

• Thread starter mm66554
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mm66554

Reaction score
Just got my guitar which has 707s... the bridge pickup is great, but the neck one is muddy as hell. Even with sweeping and legato stuff I never use the neck pickup anymore (actually makes my sweeping sound crap - and I don't mean noise, just tone).

It happens with all amp settings too, even when clean. Back in the old days (last year) I would learn something typically played with a neck pickup, with the bridge pickup. Then once I nailed it I would switch to neck to get that really nice warm sound... not anymore. As soon as I find myself unconsciously switching to neck, I unconsciously switch back to bridge 10 seconds later.

So is this some well known characteristic of 707s? I always hear peopel talking about the bridge PU, but it's honestly not that bad. Not sure if neck blackouts are any better? Not that I would get them, if I change I'm going with a BKP Painkiller and maybe Liquifire.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinchester

Reaction score
707s are based on EMG85. And my neck 85 sounds awesome.

There's probably something wrong there. Have you tried changing battery? When EMGs run low on battery they could sound crap. Or maybe try adjusting pickup height.

Good luck!

Demeyes

Reaction score
I like the neck EMG in my C7. I really like the tone I get from it for solo's. Have you tried adjusting the pickup height and changing the battery? Might be no harm in doing those to make sure you don't have an issue with the way it's setup right now.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I never thought the 707 sounded particularly bad in the neck - it's one of the better sounding EMGs, IMO.

Maybe that particular guitar doesn't like it?

yetti

Thrashsquatch
Contributor
Reaction score
What guitar do you have it in? It sounds great in my H207.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I found the EMG 60-7 to be the best sounding neck EMG for my style of leads.

mm66554

Reaction score
Schecter JL FR. I'll get a short clip up tomorrow morning. Haven't changed PU height/battery. The pickups actually have very high output, I don't think the battery is weak.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
Thats weird man, I don't like the 707 in the bridge position for the stuff I play, but it is absolutely sweet in the neck IMO. :scratch:

BMU

Reaction score
707 neck sounds good in my Loomis. +1 to there's something wrong in the OP's case.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Never really had that much of a problem with the 707 either, the 81-7 on the other hand :)

')