Does this happen to anyone else?

• Thread starter Fenriswolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
So it's been a while since I've been able to play guitar, and I don't really ever get to practice anymore due to being an adult. Usually this means I go for stuff I can play over learning the stuff I want to play, because I don't have time to learn it and I just kinda sight read guitar pro for the most part these days. But I watched the end of Stranger Things last night, and I had to jam Master of Puppets for my boy, and knew I was going to butcher it because I have my tab sped up to Live Shit speeds and I could barely play it at that tempo when I was practicing fairly regular.

I'm not sure what happened, but I was so on it I cranked my amp at that little 0-7-8 interlude Kirk does after the interlude. Hell, after that, I lost my glasses headbanging playing Fight Fire With Fire and I've never been able to play that song as speed. Nailed every gallop playing Maiden. Even starting to sound decent winging solos even though I'm only slightly aware that music theory is a thing.

I get that everybody has there on and off days, but it seems like everytime I've taken a break from playing guitar the past couple years I've gotten significantly better the next time I play, to the point even my off days are better than my on days used to be.

Does this happen to anyone else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
Yep.

Was just talking about this with a buddy a little while ago.

Seems like every time I take a decent break and come back, I’m in the zone. I can usually play whatever I feel like when that happens, regardless of tempo or my perceived skill set.

Dunno why, maybe lack of expectations? No pressure on yourself etc? I know when I’ve been playing fairly regularly I’ll fall asleep writing riffs in my head I’m pretty sure I can’t play, and then wake up next day and I was right.

This happens to me most at a buddy’s house; I’ll be on the road and doing other things, show up there and we start drinking or whatever and shit just JAMS.

He’s always asking me if I’m taking lessons and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t believe me when I say no lol

Having noticed this, I’m trying to relax more and just see what happens playing lately, instead of trying to write, taking more chances with notes and stringing ideas together. Most of it’s been pretty cool.