Does this sound right? (riffs n stuff) mix critique please :)

• Thread starter aolol
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aolol

Reaction score
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/daouwu/riffs-n-stuff[/SC]

Would love to hear what you guys think about my new song. Is the mixing alright? anything that stands out? (be it positive or negative.)
Its meant to be pop-punk with vocals, but no vocals as of yet.

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Furyof

Reaction score
It sounds pretty tight. The guitar work is really cool. Seems above pop/punk. But I don't listen to much of either of the genres. Nice little bass lines. Good work I can't really say too much besides that because I don't know what to listen for in the terms of what you are looking for. I am not an expert either. I am a noob too but I just thought I'd give my opinions

MarcusProg

Reaction score
The guitars are a tad bright. Beef them up with some low mids or lower the presence around 4k by a few dB. Awesome tune though, man :) Fun to listen to!

Clocks

Reaction score
Sounds decent man, I wouldn't say it's pop punk, but more pop metal its so technical aha! Regarding the mix, at some points the snare is really getting pushed aside, i can't work out whether its because of too much compression on the drums, or just mix as a whole. Also the overheads are pumping quite a bit.
I think you might need to make room in each instrument a bit more to allow each one to sit a bit better.

But good work so far dude :)

aolol

Reaction score
It sounds pretty tight. The guitar work is really cool. Seems above pop/punk. But I don't listen to much of either of the genres. Nice little bass lines. Good work I can't really say too much besides that because I don't know what to listen for in the terms of what you are looking for. I am not an expert either. I am a noob too but I just thought I'd give my opinions

Thanks for the good feedback! :) my goal is to create slightly technical pop punk.

The guitars are a tad bright. Beef them up with some low mids or lower the presence around 4k by a few dB. Awesome tune though, man :) Fun to listen to!
They do seem a bit bright when I listen as well. I was trying to make them seam clear, but I think I might have overdone it a little bit. Thanks for the tip!!
Sounds decent man, I wouldn't say it's pop punk, but more pop metal its so technical aha! Regarding the mix, at some points the snare is really getting pushed aside, i can't work out whether its because of too much compression on the drums, or just mix as a whole. Also the overheads are pumping quite a bit.
I think you might need to make room in each instrument a bit more to allow each one to sit a bit better.

But good work so far dude :)
I can't seem to make the overheads not pump, there shouldn't be any compression on them either hmm.. Drums are my weakest point for sure. Pop metal? Haha is that even a genre? :lol:

aolol

Reaction score
Would you say this is an improvement to the first mix?

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/daouwu/riffs-n-stuff103[/sc]

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
The second one, to me, sounds like a step in the opposite direction. Guitars got thin all of the sudden. I'd say go back to the way you had it before and make more subtle changes.

Latest posts

')