Does your taste in guitars change with time?

• Thread starter source field
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
I've been buying strats/superstrats for over 10 years. Only my most recent guitar was a tele.

So I guess not really.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Mostly I just kind of like Teles now, which I used to haaaaate.
Same here, I used to have a great dislike for Teles but just cant get enough of em now.
I can appreciate any guitar as long as its playable.

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
I guess my tastes have expanded rather than changed. When I started all I wanted was a Dean ML... I still love that shape, and it's very evocative of my early days as a Dimebag-worshipping 13 year-old. I also fell in love with the B.C. Rich Warlock and the Mockingbird, and I'd still do horrible things for a Jackson Rhoads. But now I like all sorts... I love a good superstrat (currently have three :lol:) and my Gibson V is probably my favourite guitar, but I also regularly use a Jazzmaster, I've just ordered a more traditional Strat-style and I have a serious hankering for a Tele, an SG, and a Les Paul or several (Standard, Custom, Junior - one of each :D). And I wouldn't say no to a Rickenbacker 12-string or one of those new Hallmark Mosrite replicas :rofl:

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I think cash, or better, lack of it, is ultimately what makes you dislike an instrument or not.
I mean I would love me a Gipson Zakk Wylde Les Paul (to mention one), still in the GAS list is behind so many other guitars that it gets out of the radar, but if I could lay hands on it, it would be loved like a hot babe.

Murmel

Reaction score
I used to think that Fender and Gibson were boring and terrible when I started out.
Now I don't play anything but Fender/Gibson and other vintage style instruments :lol:

TauSigmaNova

Guitarist Wannabe.
Reaction score
More of expanded. Still love superstars with floyds and pointy headstocks but now I've grown to like LPs a bit more and I warmed up to ibanez which I used to really dislike. Also stsrted digging blank fretboarfs

PBGas

Reaction score
I think everyone goes through a phase as you get older. One thing that hasn't changed for me is the use of a locking trem. Although my latest EBMM guitar has me thinking otherwise. It is such a great setup, that I ordered another one. I never thought I would own a Gibson but I do now. I would love to have a factory US built Fender with a Floyd and the proper radius but it seems that that is an impossibility unless it is a custom shop unit.

dragonbiscuit

G.A.S. Therapist
Reaction score
I wouldn't exactly say my tastes as far as aesthetics has changed but my taste as far as specs, features, tone, etc. have changed. It's just taken a lot of time and playing a lot of different guitars to find out what does and doesn't work for me.

Ditto - after so many years I finally know exactly what I want & need :shred:
One of the best things about this forum is being exposed to amazing builders and new innovations in design.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Not massively, although when i was in my teens i really liked pointy guitars (warlocks etc), but have gravitated towards super strats, and lately have been jonesing fora les paul after playing one. I also got my first real strat a while back, a nice 70's beat up one.

I also moved away from EMG's ages ago, and now way prefer passives.

So I guess it does change with time, as you find out what you do and don't like really

darkinners

my fingers are lame
Reaction score
Definitely,

I first started when I was 17 or so.
I only like pointy guitars back then, my first guitar was a white B.C Rich Warlock.

Then I like more elegant looking guitars, like PRS, Les Paul and started to hate pointy guitars.

And now I really love strat and tele(which I hate them both when I was younger, alway thought they are old man's guitar, how naive I was)

Tonewise, when I was younger, I always love to crank the mid in an amp.
I feel that way the guitar sound bigger, the notes sound fatter, less harsh.

But now I like guitar to have more scooped sound. more spanky guitar sound.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I used to think guitars with lightning bolts painted on them were the best. Logically that makes sense, a guitar with lightning bolts is clearly better than an identical guitar without lightning bolts, but I just don't find myself getting excited about them 15 years later?

jerm

Reaction score
I've grown to dislike solid coloured guitars. they're just so boring. Ibanez does this a lot and they look cheap to me. I do however love their transparent finishes which you can see the wood figuring.

SeventhSlinger

Reaction score
I always liked guitars with a floating tremolo, even before I started playing I always loved players that did dive-bombs and all of those cool effects.

Then I got a guitar with a floyd.

My taste changed within hours.

But, over time I have grown to like them again, I still am not 100% on board but they're cool.
I'm a believer in that your taste could change just like that, but time does affect it too. 3 years ago I was always a fan of guitars with all the pointy crap on them and stuff, now, I'm more of a traditional type guy, standard V's, LPs and super strats.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
My personal tastes in guitars I guess have always been pretty set on Fender, but with a lot of digging on the site the last few years (and even further back before I joined officially), my tastes don't seem to have really changed, but more so now I have a great appreciation for all types of stringed instruments ranging form the weird to the absurd and even just the average.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Not changed per se... but definitely grown / expanded

This. I used to be "RG or nothing!". Slowly transitioned on to other superstrats, then LP-shapes, then Teles, then Strats. Now I pretty much dig anything that isn't a V or some other extreme shape.

Latest posts

')