Dont want to go deaf, suggest cheap limiter for InEarMonitors

Gmork

Reaction score
id love to get some IEMs, the only thing stopping me is that ive dealt with bad sound guys on more than one occasion (no offence to all the awesome ones out there, i love you) i want to start using in ear monitors but refuse to without a limiter. i dont know anything about them other than they exist. looking for educated suggestions on some cheap options for a limiter that are reliable and get the job done. ive done enough damage to my hearing. thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Why not just buy an IEM setup that includes a limiter built into it? Or control your own IEM system.

Gmork

Reaction score
would a compressor be able to block a sudden vol/feedback spike quick enough though???

Gmork

Reaction score
just figured buying IEMs with built in limiter would cost significantly more, im just a poor musician looking for the best band for my buck. how would i control my own if my sound is coming from the sound board?

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
My brother was using an IEM system for a brief while and had an Aphex Dominator II for his limiter. He found it used for well under $200 and he said it performed extremely well, plus it can be set to be a brick wall limiter where no signal will go higher than the selected threshold, period, rather than merely reduce the spike like some limiters do.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
would a compressor be able to block a sudden vol/feedback spike quick enough though???

The Alesis Nanocompressor can do an infinity:1 ratio, just like a limiter does. You can set a very fast attack and then release to taste and it'll be a limiter.

')