Doom eternal gameplay

• Thread starter KnightBrolaire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

friendly neighborhood pickup tester
Reaction score

I'm sure this is old news for some of you, but the new doom looks pretty awesome.
I love the grappling hook/armblade. I could see that being used for some really cool sequences and kill montages on youtube.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Nice! I wonder if they also allow full custom skins like the OG Doom. Nothing like seeing Elvis or NudeGuy grappling across a lava pool.
I'm checking Steam now, not sure it will run on my laptop.

wankerness

Reaction score
I don't really like the apparent greater focus on melee, but that's quite probably just the video showing off the new features instead of the game forcing you to do it.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
First story trailer and more gameplay:

Mick Gordon absolutely killed it on these new tracks! The best thing about DOOM 2016 was the soundtrack IMO. The gameplay and world while a lot of fun didn't really feel like DOOM so I'm hoping thats where they really step up with Eternal.

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
I'm so damn excited for this game. I bought 2016 when it came out but on PS4 and didn't really vibe with it. I replayed it on PC when I finally updated my rig and holy shit it definitely got the adrenaline pumping. Being able to boost and change direction mid air is such a cool addition as well as the hook.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
I think it looks neat, and I'm definitely getting it, but I'm not exactly thrilled that it seems to be going the typical shooter route with a more in depth story and cutscenes. Hopefully it's a good story and not cheesy nonsense that serves to do nothing but pull you out of gameplay and make you cringe.

wankerness

Reaction score
I think it looks neat, and I'm definitely getting it, but I'm not exactly thrilled that it seems to be going the typical shooter route with a more in depth story and cutscenes. Hopefully it's a good story and not cheesy nonsense that serves to do nothing but pull you out of gameplay and make you cringe.

Hopefully it is full-tilt cheesy HARDCORE!!! instead of some po-faced crap that you're supposed to be dramatically invested in. The first game had the tone right. It was impossible to take it seriously unless you were 12, the devs seemed to have had their tongue firmly in their cheek when they wrote it, and that was exactly right for the ludicrous gameplay/enemies.

I liked the reboot, but didn't love it for one reason - PLATFORMING. Don't put so much frickin nimble jump puzzles over bottomless cliffs in a shooter. I thought we all learned that was a bad idea in the original Turok!

wankerness

Reaction score
I just saw that a Doom 64 port is coming out for PC/PS4/Xbox on the same day as Doom Eternal. That's great. That game oozed atmosphere and might have been one of the best Doom games, and it's very underplayed since it was on N64 and didn't have the greatest rep thanks to its low framecount sprite graphics when vastly technically superior stuff like Turok was coming out at the same time. It was REALLY bottlenecked by the small N64 carts - the sound effects were also extremely repetitive even compared to traditional Doom games. But the maps were great and it was the grimmest of those games besides maybe 3. And the music was terrifying!

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
I suppose I don't mind cheesy, as the first WAS cheesy... It's just that the little bits of cut scene I've seen gave me a bit of a try hard vibe. Nothing worse than trying to make things emotionally involved and deep when it was initially over the top fun nonsense.

I actually didn't super enjoy doom64, though admittedly I only ever played the pc "port" a while back. Perhaps I'll give it a go again.

Of course, I'm kind of lame and my favorite time with doom is spent in brutal doom or project brutality with the "maps of chaos" map pack.

Krauthammer

Reaction score
Been cleaning up achievements for doom 2016 this last month. Definetely hyped for Eternal. Soundtrack alone was worth a playthrough now I'm obsessed with the higher difficulty.