Doom metal for cheap

• Thread starter Ibanezrg560
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ibanezrg560

Dat boy
Reaction score
Is there a way to get lots of breakup and a low, sludgy guitar sound without a 2000$ tube amp playing at 200 decibels?

I only have 75 watt line 6 spider jam (great for practice, not too great sound) :rolleyes: and i love the sound of the guitars in bands like saint vitus to sun o)) to mastodon.

Is there a way to get close to that sound for less than 200$ ?

Please recommend any pedals or computer programs you have used.
Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Under $200? That's gonna be pretty tough, as even the cheapest of the used Fuzz and looser Distortion pedals are going to eat the majority of the budget.

For as little cash as possible (all used):
Peavey VTM60 - $200 to $350
Beat to crap cab. - $60 to $150
Boss or Digitech Fuzz - $50

Atomshipped

Reaction score
Someone from Sacramento!
If you go to Skip's, there's plenty of Orange stuff there. It's all brand new and pretty far from your price range though so that won't do. It's great if you can save up. You could look for a pedal that they could order to use with your Spider; maybe some kind of fuzz?

Thrashmanzac

plays in 69/42
Reaction score
what guitar do you have?
also, what is your budget?
edit:

i play doom though a blackstar ht-5, with some fuzz pedals and a guitar with a gibson 498-t pickup that sounds pretty good and close to some big doom bands by my ears. :)

Ibanezrg560

Dat boy
Reaction score
I'm using an Ibanez rg560 with a dimarzio tone zone tuned to A standard, thanks for the suggestions, i'll have to find skips to try some things. my budget is 200$-300$, i need a job.

I was thinking about a used fuzz pedal just to try out and sell later if it isn't good.

EmpulseOrange

Reaction score
If you have a computer with a DAW, check out LePou, Acmegearbag, and TSE Amp sims, they are free and sound pretty damn good. Or a standalone such as Guitar Rig, Amplitube, Pod Farm, etc are other options still in your budget if you choose the computer route. Then get you some cabinet impulses such as the orange 2mic or any of the catharsis collection, and riff away. I used LePou amps with the Orange 2mic impulse and ReCabinet for my guitar tone for a rough demo for my band... TILL MY ELEVEN RACK GETS HERE!!!

Keep in mind that Doom and Sludge relies heavily on a great often fuzzed out bass that is cranked, plus a TUBE amp cranked such as an Orange or Sunn. The tubes are a big part of the sound. Tubes+Fuzz+Bass Fuzz=Win

Some other things to try would be to back off your tone knob on the guitar, and/or use both pickups to give it that muffled bass-ier sound. Too much treble just doesnt sound right, and correct me if im wrong but those line 6's are pretty much nothing but treble. If you don't want to do the computer route, maybe an EQ pedal, a good fuzz pedal, and some knob tweaking and I'd say that would be close as you'll get with $200

AcousticMinja

String Theorist
Contributor
Reaction score
Pod Farm can get you some cool tones. I've managed a pretty decent doom tone using it before. So maybe a Line 6 ux1 or 2 with the metal pack in pod farm? That'd be around your budget. Plus you can record with it.
With enough messing around, you'll probably find something you like on there.

Thrashmanzac

plays in 69/42
Reaction score
I'm using an Ibanez rg560 with a dimarzio tone zone tuned to A standard, thanks for the suggestions, i'll have to find skips to try some things. my budget is 200$-300$, i need a job.

I was thinking about a used fuzz pedal just to try out and sell later if it isn't good.

for that money you could probably pick up a gibson 498-t pickup, a nice fuzz and have some $ left for something else. check out black arts toneworks and earthbound audio for fuzz pedals. :)

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Honestly, man, I'd save up and look for something worthwhile. Still you could get a fuzz pedal now. +1 on the Earthbound Audio and Black Arts Toneworks, and I'll also suggest the Wampler Leviathan and Boss FZ-2.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
^Laneys are excellent amps for doom on a budget (hell, for any budget). The AOR/Protubes can be found for around $300 pretty easily, and they roar like beasts.

pawel

Reaction score
A good Big Muff pedal will be cheap and will get you some of the way there. The EHX Bass Big Muff is cheap, sounds good, and will work for these sounds. Of course you would optimally be running it into a loud tube amp of some sort, but even into the Line 6 it should get you closer to that sound.

Another big part of the equation are pickups - I don't think Tone Zone would be the right pickup for this, but maybe the neck pickup on your RG will work out for you.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
A proco rat pedal can help get you near that tone but even a used newer one (the old ones are outside of your budget on their own) will eat half your budget.

Bottom line, you need a larger budget to achieve the sound you want.

Thrashmanzac

plays in 69/42
Reaction score
Honestly, man, I'd save up and look for something worthwhile. Still you could get a fuzz pedal now. +1 on the Earthbound Audio and Black Arts Toneworks, and I'll also suggest the Wampler Leviathan and Boss FZ-2.

the fz-2 you could probably get for $70-$90. i used to have one but sold it as i found it too harsh and fizzy. i am loving my new earthbound audio pedal though.

')