Doom-Metal/Post-Metal Amp~budget.

Reaction score
Hey all looking for a new amp, preferably spending around $500. I'm into Isis, Cult of Luna, Dillinger Escape Plan, Storm of Light, and yeah..Pink Floyd too.

For effects I'm picking up a mxr EQ pedal, a PODxt (I have this classic pod and I dig the tones), a maxon 808 and I'm up for any recommendations for pedals that can do doom and post metal.

I just need something loud enough to let the drummer hear what I'm playing. I would kind of prefer a combo but a head's fine. I have a sweet Vader 4x12.

Btw what are these Power Amps? I'm a bit of a noob but I see a lot of people use them and I'm wondering how to use them myself.. if I bought say an Engl or a VHT one could I just run it through my cab?

Thanks all :)

Edit: if this helps at all, I really dig the Mesa Dual Rec distortion

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattnh79

kayke
Reaction score
Marshall 8200 and a ISP Decimator Pro Rack G and a Furman P-1800 PF R for noise cut and electrical filtering

if u like recto sound maybe a VHT Deliverance or Sig: X

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
You could pick up a power amp (basically just makes things loud without colouring the tone too much) and use it with the PODxt. If you're looking for a head, I think a 5150/6505 or 5150II/6505+ could cover what you're looking for, and can be found for good deals used.

Reaction score
Hmm.. how do I use a Power amp though? I connect it to my cab right?

And I don't have enough $ for a 5150 /:

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
Go to a pawn shop and find the most beat up, shitty looking Sunn amp you can find, boost the front with the OD-808, and crank that sumbitch all the way up and rock out hahaha.

But in all seriousness tons of doom/stoner rock bands use Sunn amps which can be found at some pawn shops. They just sound huge and thick and fuzzy.

and a power amp is used to power a pre-amp. as in, you would hook your POD into the power amp, then the power amp into the cab, so then your POD would be able to be played out of your cab. You can't just plug the POD into the cab, nothing will come out.

So if you want to use your POD as your main tone, then yes you could buy a power amp to run with it into your cab.

If you used a marshall preset or something like that on the POD that could definitely get you into doom/stoner rock territory as well.

reptillion

Reaction score
One option is a peavey valveking, which comes in 50 and 100 watt combos, as well as the 100 watt head. Its pretty versatile, and has heaps of gain, which is good for doom. right now i have the gain on 5 with the built in gain boost, and its almost too much for most metal. one thing about the amp is without a tubescreamer your probably not going to get a super tight tone, but thats not really what you need.

simsklok

i hate you all
Reaction score
I was just going to suggest to sell all of your personal possessions and purchase a Sunn Model T! I play Doom as well and just picked up a 1975 Sound City 120 w/ a marshall 1960A cab... fuckin CRUSHING.. For DOOM you typically don't need a bunch of shit dude, I've seen some Laney's floating around on eBay for the CHEAP (AOR's). Just plug in a FUzz pedal and your good to go. And also yeah as stated above, Valve Kings are good as well. My other guitar player in our band uses one, sounds great for a low cost amp!

')