Dr. Z Synergy module

• Thread starter MetalDaze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I'm guessing there aren't a lot of Brad Paisley fans on here :lol: but Synergy has a new module called the Z Wreck.

What I find interesting is that this is the first one with a phase inverter in the preamp module in order to simulate aspects of the power amp. Sounds weird to me, but they claim to have incorporated a "zero watt power amp" (including a small transformer) into the module design. Synergy says this idea may find its way into other modules in the future.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moongrum

Reaction score
In most amps the majority of the tone is derived from the pre-amp section. The Z Wreck amplifier however derives a significant portion of its signature tone from the power amp, creating a major engineering obstacle for designing a Synergy preamp module. In collaboration with Mike Zaite the Synergy team resolved this issue by incorporating an actual “0 watt power amp”, phase inverter and small transformer into the module design. This innovative solution resulted in this module authentically capturing the harmonic and dynamic content of the Z WRECK power amp including the “CUT” knob, which is a part of the power amp section.

This engineering achievement has opened the door for Synergy towards flexibility and infinite tonal options for the entire Synergy eco system.
idk if it's just marketing or rooted in reality, but sounds pretty neat.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not a Brad Paisley or really country fan in general but I know he can play!

It sounds interesting but I have no idea it's just a bunch of hot air. Maybe someone with some knowledge here can chime in.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm a metal / hc player through and through, but I actually really love playing the trainwreck models in the Fractal. They feel / sound out of control in a good way.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Sounds promising. I've used rack discrete tube pre and power amps together for mamy gigs and I dug it, but always found when I plugged into a true tube head that I had been lacking some of that squish that makes them so nice to play through

Shask

Reaction score
Not my style, but I know many people are gonna be happy with this one.

Several people have been asking for more lower gain modules that aren't Marshall based.

Shask

Reaction score
Sounds promising. I've used rack discrete tube pre and power amps together for mamy gigs and I dug it, but always found when I plugged into a true tube head that I had been lacking some of that squish that makes them so nice to play through
Heads are bigger and squishier feeling, where racks are tighter with more clarity.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember my friends maz sr (?) burying my FSM when we finally got them in the same place. It was eye opening :lol:.

Moongrum

Reaction score
I remember my friends maz sr (?) burying my FSM when we finally got them in the same place. It was eye opening :lol:.
Isn't the FSM a 100 watt tube amp? I think the maz is only 38 watts. What exactly happened? lol

Moongrum

Reaction score
Wattage ≠ voicing
I still don't understand what happened, you only said eye opening lol. I had assumed you were talking about volume.
Were you buried, or were you just surprised how loud 38 watts was?

')