Dr. Z Synergy module

• Thread starter MetalDaze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Curious what's to come with other modules with this new 0 watt power amp breakthough.
Also I noticed the Deliverance is now a series ii preamp that's been updated and the original is no longer available. I watched the Malcontents this weekend and Fryette was saying it's updated more like a ii+ head or something. Also saw a pict on Facebook of someone who said it was Tremonti's rig and it has a SLO series ii inside it which looks like a Slo with two Eq sets instead of one.
The "SLO-DLX" has been rumored for quite a while. It will probably be like the other newer modules where both channels are the same, with a crunch or lead switch.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
I hope more modules are brought out with the zero watt power amp design or redesigned with it. The problem with the Synergy line for me is that, even though they are marketed as being able to use any power amp, because the tone is in the preamp, in practice that's not the case at all. Unlike modelers, using a flatter power amp with them just doesn't sound as good because the power amp is definitely a large part of the sound they're trying to recreate.

The zero watt power amp adds that power amp emulation in that these need, so flatter amps should, in theory, work much better. You'll be able to mix circuits that typically run on EL84s, 6v6s, EL34s, 6L6s, KT88s, etc through a single power amp and actually get a similar response to those amps, instead of it sounding like those amp's preamps through a totally different power section.
I think many of them might have some sort of EQing that tries to mimic their original power amp a little bit. I know the DRect sounds bigger than a normal Recto preamp on its own. I wouldn't doubt if there is some sort of final post EQ on it that tries to mimic the recto power amp EQ curve somewhat.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I think many of them might have some sort of EQing that tries to mimic their original power amp a little bit. I know the DRect sounds bigger than a normal Recto preamp on its own. I wouldn't doubt if there is some sort of final post EQ on it that tries to mimic the recto power amp EQ curve somewhat.
I was hoping that'd be the case when I had my Synergy setup, but I found most of them sounded very, very similar to each other through a neutral power amp. There's so many people that stand behind the sentiment that the power amp used with these makes or breaks how good it sounds which, to me, make it far less exciting as a system.

This is the reason I sold my Randall RM4 system in like 2008 (?) - I had a Mesa 2:90 and the more Recto/5150 inspired modules sounded great through it, but all of the Marshall amps were just totally wrong sounding. I tried using a Marshall 9100 and it had the opposite problem. I guess that's the appeal to some people - they can take the preamp of their favorite amps and give it more low end grunt, make it more chime-y, etc with a different power amp. Not me, I just wanted them to sound like the amp in question.

Now that there are more transparent power amps on the market, because of the more widespread use of amp models that come with power amp modeling built in, I was hoping to recreate that approach with a more analog feel - no menu diving, just a few knobs and a volume dual. In that, I was hoping they'd have fixed the issue with their cathode bias switch, which definitely does help, but it's still not the same. I haven't tried the Dr. Z module yet, but it's definitely got me interested in trying Synergy again if this is the route they're going.

Latest posts

')