[Dramatic/Electronic/DnB] Dreamscape, feedback please!

• Thread starter IamOthello
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IamOthello

Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
This ones getting pretty long huh! Loving it as usual. The middle section ended up real nice! The latter section around 13 minutes was mindblowing. Every time I listen to your stuff I can't find any fault in it - am just always overwhelmed by how much work you must have put in. Good job :)
What vocal processing have you got going on here?
The strings at 16 mins were beautiful - what did you use for those?

One thing - I did think the alien type noises at the very end were far too loud. AMAZING though - what is that!?

IamOthello

Reaction score
This ones getting pretty long huh! Loving it as usual. The middle section ended up real nice! The latter section around 13 minutes was mindblowing. Every time I listen to your stuff I can't find any fault in it - am just always overwhelmed by how much work you must have put in. Good job :)
What vocal processing have you got going on here?
The strings at 16 mins were beautiful - what did you use for those?

One thing - I did think the alien type noises at the very end were far too loud. AMAZING though - what is that!?

Yes! Long and exhausting to work around, haha. This is my longest piece ever by nearly double, completely unexpected. In the process of writing I've kept the piece very organized in terms of form and spent a lot of time thinking of how to keep such a long piece developing and pacing properly.

I agree. I really enjoyed the turnout of that second primary theme (13:00-15:20ish). So glad you enjoyed it.

I triple tracked every vocal part, 100% L/R/C. I then slipped the phrases around in case there were any small timing errors while tracking. Then I melodyned them and applied a bit of pitch correction to phrases that required it. I am a pretty decent singer, but some of the interval work in the singing part is BRUTAL. Lots of seemingly awkward leaps! After pitch correction, I sent all the .wavs to a bus that has (something like this order); compression, distortion, EQ, reverb, EQ, distortion, then compression.

For the strings I used a VST called Philharmonik. It's a relatively inexpensive orchestral library. It doesn't have very good percussion//horns though. I'm glad you found the strings in the piece nice. I haven't heard much electronic music that utilizes original string music, most is sampled!

Duly noted! Those sounds are actually all build from two different short .wavs. One source is a small 5 second clip of a synth I built in massive then bounced out. I chopped the shit out of it, reversed it, grain synthed it, etc. The other is a sample I took of keys jingling around then I processed it hard and chopped the shit out of it. I am passing both sounds through a lot of processing that gives it a totally different sound. The most important effect being a ring modulation filter sweeping around. It gives the sound a completely different character depending on where the cut off is. SUPER COOL! :D

Thanks a lot man!

MakewayforMan

The Light Eternal
Reaction score
I really like the vocal processing you did. I'm about to demo vox for my record and will certainly be playing around with the method that you described.

IamOthello

Reaction score
I really like the vocal processing you did. I'm about to demo vox for my record and will certainly be playing around with the method that you described.

Awesome! Keep in mind though, it's important to use a multiband distortion. Alternatively, you can split your vocals up in different bands then distort the higher bands.

With both dist algorithms I distort really only the 2k-16k range. It's why my sibilance pop so hard on that track.

')