Dream Theater 7 String tracks

• Thread starter omentremor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darbdavys

Reaction score
This Dying Soul is done on a seven. Don't know why i don't hear more about that song, cuz Train of Thought is my fav album and i think everything on there rocks. Be careful what people tell you is done on a 7 by DT tho. Unless you def hear a low B, Petrucci's playing a 6-string (often in C - standard tuning down 2 whole steps). I know a number of tracks on Awake were done on a 7, but I don't know which ones.

And yeah, glass prison is on a 7. It's the reason i bought one!
not always. Panic Attack was made with a stingray, and is played with a baritone 6 live :)

Reaction score
awsome band but unfortunately they use8 strings
Actually they've only been using them from Nothing onwards. Destroy Erase Improve and Chaossphere are on 7-strings tuned to Bb.

As for Cannibal Corpse, a lot of their later stuff is actually on 6-strings tuned to Bb, as Rob I'm pretty sure never uses 7s and Pat apparently feels more comfortable on a 6 (this came straight from Alex Webster on the Cannibal Corpse board).

The only bands that I can think of that hasn't been mentioned here that uses 7's is Spawn of Possession, though that's only for half of the guitarwork (one plays a seven, the other a six), and Gorguts (tuned G C F Bb Eb G C), though I don't remember which songs. If not you can try arranging a few songs in B standard, all Cryptopsy and At The Gates (except And The World Returned I think) are in B standard too.

Though if you're still after some songs, what I've been doing lately is using a plugin for WinAmp called PaceMaker, and have been shifting some songs down to B to try and get my head around the lower string (stuff like Immolation and Hate Eternal which are around C - C# anyways), so that could be worth a shot I guess.

SjPedro

Reaction score
On the Dream Theater songs in 7 strings I think people pretty much summed them up and I think you can play the entire 12 Step Suite ,with the exception of Root of All Evil which I play on a 6 in half step tuning, you can play it all: The Glass Prison, This Dying Soul, Repentance and the new one The Shattered Fortress

I might be wrong but I think you can adapt Forsaken,Prophets of War and Constant Motion to work on a 7 string...I think I'll try that
Constant Motion might get easier like this, I don't know. I'll give it a shot

Songs that I have seen adapted to the 7 string and work pretty good:

As I Am
Honor Thy Father

EDIT: Try Misunderstood too....it's easy to play except for that solo that apparently was recorded and reversed and added to the studio track lol (or so I am told)

Latest posts

')